Board shutting down when using cooler with higher pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Board shutting down when using cooler with higher pressure

I have this board, ECS K7VTA3, it was running fine after recap. However the guy I've sold it to brought it back because of shutting down within 5 secs after powering up. We were playing with that for some time and discovered it only happens when we use cooler with higher pressure.

Any idea where the problem could be? Some kind of cold soldered joint? We tried two CPU's so probably the problem is in socket or somewhere near.
    Last edited by Behemot; 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Board shutting down when using cooler with higher pressure

This is some insane crap! I found the problem. It is in some mentally ill thermal protect. As soon as the board does not detect fan runing at some maniac speeds (4k RPM or so) it shuts of automatically! Holyl crap. I'll try newer BIOS, other choice is only to connect some voltage at the sense pin for foolign it.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Just connect some fan to 12v from the power supply and run the sense wire down to that connector.

Comment

Nah it'll be loud.

Anyway the board is out of service now due to bad flash. These ECS suckers are even not able to write down the right version, there is 1.0 next of the model number but 2.0 in the corner which is probably true since from v2.0 the board is violet. I flashed v1.0, two block were flashed badly and it doesn't boot now. I'll have to leave that until I'll discover similar board where I can flash the BIOS chip in.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
          Anyway the board is out of service now due to bad flash. These ECS suckers are even not able to write down the right version, there is 1.0 next of the model number but 2.0 in the corner which is probably true since from v2.0 the board is violet.
          Been there, done that. Just get another brand.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Oh, that's sweet.

I remember the fan protection on some asus board.

Fan failure shutdown - Enable (We were trying to play safe, so why not)

Just that we noticed, BIOS monitors _ALL_ fans, not just the ones that are currently working. So, with no fan attached BIOS read 0RPM ...
            Had to reset bios to fix it !

Comment

The problem is I cannot disable that The board seems good beside that so as I said I'll wait for another one bloated K7VT3 and try to swap the BIOS chip while running than flash it.

Comment

with flashrom, you can use any board (that physically fits the ROM chip).
                "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Oh thankx! I already tried but AWDFlash still refused to flash due to system config incompatibity with the binary file. I'll try at evening.

If the problem was not bad BIOS file but damaged chip, is possible to reflash BIOS from other board with this program and use it here? There is typical PLCC with Phoenix.

Comment

i can try to modify the BIOS file if you want.
                    sort of like what i did with Maxxarcade's Shuttle board (thread on here somewhere).

un-hide settings and stuff..

oh and you can use Uniflash to try and hot-flash the BIOS file to the chip on a different board.

Comment

I'll try flashing back the original backuped BIOS file, than if BIOS for PCB 2.0 if I'll succeed. Thanks.

Scenic: I'll let you know if the things will go well

Comment

I've reflashed the original backed up BIOS, still nothing so tried also the official BIOS for board v2.0. After oned dead CPU (some shit on cooler made it overheat probably) the board posts fine. The problem is it talks some shit about no keaboard preset and do not respond to pressing anything - tried two PS/2 keyboards, both blink during starting, both working elsewhere. Gonna for USB keyboard.

ADD// tried USB keyboard, no message about no keyboard detected, but it still do no react to any key in any way. WTF?
                        Last edited by Behemot; 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Try usb keyboard with external (powered) usb hub attached

Comment

I'll ask arround for some. I measured the fuse near ports and it's fine. Could this still be bad BIOS? I can keep the board at least for testing processors, you know, when it posts, CPU is working. Maybe memory, with autoexec for memtest from floppy. But that's everything I can do with this board. So much time and money in caps for almost no functionality. Damn it.

It still does the stuff with cooler, I'll probably solder resistor between 12 V and sense on the fan connector directly on the board. Would 470 ohm be enough? I have such a SMD.

Comment

Hmm
                              I would check for burned power connectors.

Comment

Working...
                              X