Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: polaroid tv capacitor identification

Originally posted by therube
    I replaced those 2 caps today, took like 5 minutes....TV works fine again. no strange noises or anything either!
    Next thing is im going to rig up a spare computer fan in the back of the TV and have it blow air across the heat sinks.
    Thanks again to everyone who helped.
    Rube
    Suggestion: Let the TV operate for half an hour or more without forced cooling (leave the back off if you want to), then check the temperature of those caps (carefully!!). If they feel hot, they probably won't last a year.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Rube,
      Glad your fix went well as did mine. Simple fix for a friend that earned me a case of [U][B]BEER. Pic attached...
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elbtax
        Rube,
        Glad your fix went well as did mine. Simple fix for a friend that earned me a case of [U][B]BEER. Pic attached...
        Who cares about the TV? Where's the beer?

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Beer will be here around six est. Lickily for me there is a case in the fridge already!!!

Comment

my repair went just as successfully. hurrah!

Comment

I received a Polaroid TBA-03211C flatscreen TV from my neighbor who was moving out. He said the TV wouldn't turn on and he took it to a local repair shop and they quoted him $400. That obviously wasn't worth it so he gave it to me (because I KNOW I can fix it for much less).

I am not an electronics expert but I am somewhat experienced in general electronics work. Basically, I wouldn't be able to design and/or troubleshoot a device on my own without some instruction but I can hold my own and learn quickly.

The power button on the side of the TV will not turn it on--no picture or sound. The front LED stays red. When the power cord is plugged in I notice a slight clicking/buzzing sound that immediately goes away (something that doesn't seem abnormal to me).

Upon inspection of the power supply I didn't notice any bulging capacitors except for the largest one on the "left" side (Manufact: HEC, 150 uF, 450 V). I took it out and will be replacing it soon. I will also be replacing the two capacitors mentioned in this thread. Do you think this could be the problem? If not, what do you think it is? I do not have a very good multimeter or an oscilloscope but, if need be, I can probably use one at the school I am currently attending.

If there is any other information or images you need from me, just let me know and I will cooperate. Thanks in advance!

Comment

I would say that the primary cap is often NOT the source of problem. Since it's a 450V cap it's probably a boost-pfc in front of it. (Without pfc 385-400V caps is normally used)
                This cap has to be pretty bad to give any trouble.
                Check the secondary side capacitors. They generally operate at higher ripple currents and demans higher performance (lower ESR) capacitors. ESR is a pure resistive element inside the capacitor which only gives heat dissipation inside the capacitor. As this heats up the capacitor even more it tends to manifest itself in a destructive manner.

Comment

Well, due to my ignorance and lack of forethought I have already pulled out the large capacitor and possibly damaged it in so doing due to me having to pull it off the glue it was in with some pliers. Surely it won't hurt to replace it, right?

Is there some way I could test the smaller caps on the "right" side with a multimeter that just measures voltage and resistance?

Also, should I just go ahead and replace the capacitors that I have mentioned or is it probably something else? It couldn't be the fuse, right? Or else the red LED on the front wouldn't be lit?

Thanks.

Comment

You must have an ESR meter to easily check the esr. Of course, visual checking caps for leakage and/or round tops are first thing. BUT a bad capacitor doesn't need to look bad. Best thing is to replace the bunch of secondary caps. Wonder why the repair shop quoted it 400, could be some more serious problem than bad caps... Didn't the repair shop give some info about what they wanted 400 for?

Comment

They might have but my neighbor is not an intellectual powerhouse. When I called the shop an old Asian lady answered the phone and wasn't very helpful. I thought she might have said it wasn't a capacitor problem but she could just as easily have said that just because I said there wasn't any visual problems. (Hard to communicate with her) She acted like she was mad that they chose not to fix it and she seemed aggravated with me because I was trying to fix it myself and take away her money or something. Basically, it seemed like she was purposefully not telling me what they thought the problem was.

My guess is that they were going to replace either the power supply, the logic board or both and then charge the remainder for labor. I went to an electronics professor at my school and he said that most of the time that is what is done rather than replacing individual components on these made-in-China devices. Also, he tested the capacitance of the cap I took out (the 150 uF) and it was 137 which he said was close enough.

I am going to replace the two smaller caps and the big one first and then, if that doesn't work, I will replace the rest. If that still doesn't work I will replace the power supply board. I will check voltages tonight.

Comment

What crap designs they through out to customers! Fans has to be added to their crap designs to make it last. Garbage!!

Comment

The last time I replaced power supply caps that were good quality but buldged I measured the voltage. It was 80v and the caps were 100v. The failure was due to heat.
                          This is a different type of supply as plainbill said. Most 450v caps are around 100uf that I have replaced on an lcd.
                          I would check v before I would replace the caps. It is very easy to make a voltage doubler out of rectified a/c. Check your full wave bridge if it has one. I don`t like caps under heat sinks either and transformers get even hotter.

Comment

10 caps should last you 5 months.

What is the cause of the failure?
                            Last edited by cadiman; 08-29-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Some stuff came up and I had to stash the TV project for a while. I'm getting back into it tomorrow. So I should check the voltage on the rectifier? Exactly what am I looking for? Are most rectifiers of that type in a black box?

If I test some voltages at various places could you guys help me troubleshoot?

Comment

Msg for TheRube:
                                Digi-Key has the caps on back order for how long I do not know.
                                Do you sill have any 10uf 450V Elec pw radial caps..
                                Thanks....Don

Comment

ive got bad caps on one of these tvs......big filter cap is bulging, small ones look ok, but the screen comes on dim and goes off in a few seconds....

would like to know what caps to order so i dont have tv parts laying around for weeks after taking the boards and caps out
                                  Last edited by rubicondsrv; 11-30-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post
                                    Some stuff came up and I had to stash the TV project for a while. I'm getting back into it tomorrow. So I should check the voltage on the rectifier? Exactly what am I looking for? Are most rectifiers of that type in a black box?

If I test some voltages at various places could you guys help me troubleshoot?
                                    Any update on this?? Tv crapped out on me (poliroid tda-03211c) which is why im here, the caps that are mentioned here dont look bulgy. I did notice a red led light in the back blinking before i did anything too it. My two caps are HEC 10uf 450v other side zp105* cv22 ,which i have removed already. I bought the Panasonic ones to replace hopefully thats the problem. Oh forgot to mention i have sound and everything looks like it work but no pic. And like all the combo tv no working dvd either.

Comment

Sounds like an inverter problem. Can you see a picture if you shine a flashlight on the screen?

PlainBill

Comment

ok, so i got the information for the two small caps here, but I still need information on a replacement for the big filtercap (photos shown)
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Anything that high in voltage is a general purpose cap.

Panasonic TS-HA, TS-HB, TS-HC, or TS-ED. Look at the data sheets for those series and find your cap value in the right size.

Chemicon would have the proper cap too but I can't remember the series. Just search for the value and voltage and they'll come up.
                                          Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM.
                                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                                          X