Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Optiplex 745 hangs on dual core

Hi guys!
    Im new to the caps world. I used to had issues in the old p4 times.
    I replaced an old p3 with a "new" optiplex (looking for a cheap media center and multipurpose linux machine).
    I cant install XP or any windows on it (hangs or bsod), so Im using Centos.
    The problem it hungs after 10 minutes if Im using both cores (core2duo). When I disable one, it works 80% uptime! When it crashes randomly. Specially when Im doing long checks (md5 for example)
    I was wondering if it is the CPU, the motherboard, or maybe the caps. When check time ago the were apparently ok, there werent any popup (as far as I know).
    What would be the problem?

Thanks guys!

Re: Dell Optiplex 745 hangs on dual core

Sounds like a problem of bad caps in the VRM of the motherboard, check them.

Comment

Ok, what should I've looking for? Do you have a guide perhaps?
      I was looking some over the internet and found several ones, but I dont know if all of them apply.
      Thanks again!

Comment

which version of the GX745 is it? All versions were prone to bad caps....but different versions use different caps.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

hmmm version? Its the mini tower, or do you refer to a code?

Comment

Originally posted by Giskard View Post
            hmmm version? Its the mini tower, or do you refer to a code?
            That would be the SFF. the USFF would have an external power supply.

Here's the kit:
            https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=127
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Ok great! its good to know it must be the caps. Ill check them tonight and send a photo of it.

Comment

Hi Giskard, have you tested our PC's Ram?, I have had major trouble with O\S install on a similar model Dell (Optiplex 755) Customer was reporting frequent rebooting, freezing & bluescreening, the bluescreening offered no info as to why the problem was occurring (not unusual for bluescreens, lol) he suspected the issue was related to a new video adapter he fitted and claimed the problem started happening after updating the drivers for said Adapter. He requested a data backup & a fresh install of Windows 7, data backup went fine but i ran into major issues with the install with the system hanging and also reporting files could not be found on the dvd, using new DVD's didnt have any effect. I decided to run Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) and within seconds of the scan starting it started reporting errors in one of the memory modules, replacement of the faulty module sorted the issue 100% and PC has been working like a dream since, i suspect the customer may have caused static damage to the ram when fitting the Video Adapter?, just a suggestion before you start poking around at the Motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                X