Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID10T Error - Damaged PCB Pad Repair Deslodering Blown Capacitor

Hello Badcaps,

I made a really goofy mistake last night and I'm kicking myself over it now...

Please see the two photos linked below:

While trying to desolder a blown capacitor for my Samsung 58" TV (PN58A550S1FXZA), I damaged one of the PCB pads on the ground side where the capacitor gets soldered in.

The hole on the left cleared fairly easily after I first twisted off the capacitor and then applied a little fresh 60/40 rosin core solder before using the desoldering braid and smaller chissel tip to clear the hole of the remaing capacitor lead.

The other hole I totally screwed up as you can see!

I tried scraping around the contact (as seen in the photo) to expose bare copper but I'm not sure where the trace goes (or if there is even a trace to be concerned about in this scenario).

I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it. I think this is a double sided PCB because there appears to be copper pads on the other side of the PCB where the capacitor sits flush (as seen in the second photo).

What really messed me up besides my limited soldering experience, was this desoldering braid I bought from radioshack with no flux in it (I assumed all braid did). I bought a 40watt weller soldering iron from homedepot and properly kept the tip tinned and clean on a sponge. I tried using a lamp dimmer from Lowes to adjust the temperature.

To be honest, I never had these problems when I had my Hakko FX-888 (moved overseas and gave it away!) but then again I could very accurately control the temperature and was using a separate flux at the time with better desoldering braid.

With this cheap adhoc setup and my lack of experience, it's difficult for me to tell if the soldering iron is too hot or not hot enough, even using the lamp dimmer.

Am I totally screwed or Is there hope? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
    Steve M.
    Winter Springs, FL

P.S.
    This is my setup:
    Last edited by eltrkbrd; 08-29-2015, 07:57 AM.

Re: ID10T Error - Damaged PCB Pad Repair Deslodering Blown Capacitor

The copper pad and trace are gone but you can bend the cap lead over to lay over top of the 4 little dots of solder and solder it to there. It's not really a bonehead move though, everyone who's ever worked on boards has done that. at least once.
    Last edited by SteveNielsen; 08-29-2015, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Hi Steve N.,

Thanks for your informative reply and vote of confidence.

So I can just bend the ground lead over the 4 little dots of solder and drop a single bead to solder it all together? If so, that seems simple enough!

Should I just forget about the little round copper contact that came off (I don't have epoxy).

I wonder, what are those 4 dots of solder there for anyway?

Thanks again,

Steve M.

Comment

Yep, that's all you need to do. Don't bother with the round pad that came off.

The little dots are tiny vias that connect through the board to the ground plane trace on the other side of the board.

Comment

ID10T Errorr........You got me there.......I never saw that before.....then after much thought I realized IDIOT Error......Don't worry we all have been there at some time or the other.....Good advice from SteveNielson, too.....

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
            ID10T Errorr........You got me there.......I never saw that before.....then after much thought I realized IDIOT Error......Don't worry we all have been there at some time or the other.....Good advice from SteveNielson, too.....
            Thank you for the compliment, kind sir.

ID10T is fairly popular in America but I don't what country it originated. I first heard it about 10-15 years ago. I don't keep track of what year it was when things happened very well. As I recall I started to write it down and It dawned on me writing the D.
            Last edited by SteveNielsen; 08-30-2015, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks...Something to throw at my ITT Techie at work....(smiling)

Comment

Working...
              X