Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're looking for a solid 550W PSU, check this out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you're looking for a solid 550W PSU, check this out.

Like I said, 2000hr ultra low esr aqueous caps, not the best for p/s.

Comment

Like I said, I don't care what's 'best' on these.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

They are replacing Fuhjyyu....
        I could solder in 2 pennies with a piece of plastic between them and it would be an upgrade.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

kc8adu
          I said MBZ. No on 1800/16 but yes 1500/16
          And that's the end of this subject.
          This is not my site.

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            They are replacing Fuhjyyu....
            I could solder in 2 pennies with a piece of plastic between them and it would be an upgrade.
            It's OST in there. Not one Fuhjyyu in the thing.

Oh, and where are you getting all these capacitors? Is there some deal I don't know about?
            A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I didn't buy what I have to cover something else I haven't bought.
              But I have enough of what I have to use on one of those if I bought one.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

Let me try that again.
                I'm not working on the same PSU you are.

I was really responding to the post sweating aqueous vs non aqueous.
                That's probably a valid concern if you expect to be using the same PSU 2,3+ years from now but I don't leave system builds together that long anyway so water content doesn't even make my priority list.

I'm not saying it is not a valid concern.
                I'm saying it's not a concern for me with what I'm working on right now.

-
                I'm setting up an LTS configuration and while the server and it's PSU is important the satellite systems aren't and are being built from mostly P3 scraps piled up in the store room. The satellites won't be around that long. Half will be changed out for laptops and the half will upgraded to something newer over the next two years. The only real cost to get things going this way is recapping the old stuff and the cost of the server.
                -

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                  you hit the same deal i did.
                  lifetime supply even after selling a load to other techs i deal with.
                  did you get any 1800@16 mcz?
                  Would you mind pointing me at that source?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    you hit the same deal i did.
                    lifetime supply even after selling a load to other techs i deal with.
                    did you get any 1800@16 mcz?
                    I was lucky but not that lucky as to have a lifetime supply.

I got a good deal on an overstock buyout. - One time thing.

Problem is 90% are 6.3v sizes so it's far being everything I need.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

What do you guys recommend as the absolute best, longest-life caps that come in the right size for this PSU?

This PSU is weird. Huge heatsinks, tons of components, two PCB's, a quality Nidec fan...... and they skimp on caps?! what the hell? Am I the only one confused?

Comment

Need caps list with:
                        uF, volts, make/series, and size (or at least diameter) to say that for sure.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                          This PSU is weird. Huge heatsinks, tons of components, two PCB's, a quality Nidec fan...... and they skimp on caps?! what the hell? Am I the only one confused?
                          I am confused as well, don't worry!

Comment

You're not the only one! If I get a chance today, I'll go have a look. However, I believe I would need to start desoldering to be able to look at some of 'em. There are that many and they're packed that tightly.

Comment

As best as I can tell, here's what we've got:

8x OST RLS 3300uF 10v 10mm (note: one I couldn't get a real good look at)
                              6x OST RLS 2200uF 16v 10mm
                              3x JPCE-TUR 1000uF 16v 8mm

They're bunched pretty close together. I trying to get 12.5mm caps in there is definately not going to happen.

I think we're looking at Samxon's to recap these.

Comment

Here's some pics:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/hpim0510.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/hpim0511.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/hpim0514.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/hpim0515.jpg

Comment

What the hell: a 2 boards design, an IEC Emi filter, a Nidec fan and ... questionable caps? It's like pouring cheap wine in a good crystal glass instead than champagne.
                                  I really don't understand this move: it asks for revenge

Zandrax
                                  Have an happy life.

Comment

Are all the caps on the top PCB? Also, this PSU is probably RoHS compliant - does that mean lead-free solder must be used for the recapping since mixing lead solder and lead free leads to unpredictable result?

Don't Rubycon ZL's come in 10mm AND ultra long life? Someone mentioned them earlier in this thread. My gut feeling is to avoid Samxon, not sure why.

Comment

Rubycon ZL's have a 1000-5000 life at 105C. That sounds pretty not-so-long-life.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d3dded1822.pdf

Guess it'll be Samxon then?

EDIT: What abou ZLH? They have 5,000-10,000 life at 105C

EDIT 2: ZLH is not available in 3300uf at 10mm, so screw that.

EDIT AGAIN: ZL is not available in right sizes either. Pretend I never posted this.
                                      Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Far as I can tell, Samxon is the only one that offers the appropriate specs in the right diameter.

Comment

[ZL, 10mm] - Not in those uF/Volt combinations they don't.

8x OST RLS 3300uF 10v 10mm
                                          Don't exist in 10mm in the data table.
                                          ----------------
                                          6x OST RLS 2200uF 16v 10mm
                                          Don't exist in 10mm in the data table.
                                          -----------------
                                          3x JPCE-TUR 1000uF 16v 8mm
                                          This is odd one for the name. CEC is manufacturer, TUR series:
                                          Their site is laid out STUPID.... And there is no data:
                                          http://www.0759.com/CECWEB/ProductTy...oID=0000000008
                                          ----------------

Looking at general numbers in RLS series they are rated in line with
                                          Ruby-ZL, Chemicon-KZE, Nichicon-HD, Sanyo-WX, Samxon-GK
                                          [Which makes sense.]
                                          In that range with realistic specs if they are 10mm x 25mm, ripple~2150, ESR~.022
                                          If they are even longer the numbers will be slightly better.
                                          [ The 8mm around 1250/.041 ]

You are pretty much screwed if you HAVE to have those uF/volts 'in 10mm'.
                                          12.5mm would be easy. (I have that problem on two I'm looking for caps for.)

I'm going to replace the 10v with 3300uF 6.3v MBZ 10mm.
                                          (I know it's output on 5v and 3.3v rails.)

The 16v you might look for a single 4700uF 12.5mm to replace a pair.
                                          Have to do the math for ripple/ESR for a pair then find a single that's close.

~~~~

Aqueous boys are gonna cry tears but if it won't F'king then it won't F'king fit..
                                          WHAAAAA.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X