Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280 OUT OF WARRANTY SUPPORT PROGRAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280 OUT OF WARRANTY SUPPORT PROGRAM

i have several corp customers who said fuck dell and their runaround nonsupport from india bullshit.
    too much red tape.
    things may have improved by now but the damage is done.
    i will have another 20 of these boards waiting for me when i return from hamvention.
    of the 30 or so dell replaced 10 were doa or have died.
    of the 75 or so i did for them none have bounced back.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
      of the 30 or so dell replaced 10 were doa or have died.
      of the 75 or so i did for them none have bounced back.
      Of the hundreds of these I've rebuilt, I've had 3 that ended up duds or failed post-recapping tests. I've never had one that passed all my testing came back on me.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

what do you mean that you have a thermal element on the screen?

Comment

I finally came across my first GX280 with melting caps...

Comment

Originally posted by trw1901
            I finally came across my first GX280 with melting caps...
            This late? I've recapped those as long as 2+ years ago.... Typical Nichicon HN(M) scenario....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Were the gx260's affected at all?

Just curious as I may be acquiring one shortly.

Comment

Well it turned out to be a gx240 sff(that may be skinnier but its huge otherwise). The caps look fine in it btw.

Comment

Well, I called my last one in yesterday!

Webmaster this thread has expired...........................

Comment

hi, my uncle just gave me his gx270, and i found a few capacitors, 1 that's leaking and a few more that look like they're about to explode. Does dell still offer these replacement motherboard? if not, do any of you have any that you possibly could ship to me?

thanks!

Comment

Naw, no more support... I asked, and they said NOES DIE IN A HOLE.

They're very mean... lol

I guess I will send m motherboard to this website.

Comment

OK I'm on my second set of Dell PC's. The first ones died in a lightning strike. My crap is old but it works for now. I have a Optiplex GX180 1Gig PIII, and a Dimension 4550 2.4 Gig P4. Do these units have the bad caps too???? I hope not. When I do buy new "in the box" PC's I think it will be HP this time. Dell
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

Most HP machines I've seen came with BESTEC power supplies.

Their laptops over heat, their desktops are expensive with cheap parts.
                          Why you want HP?

Comment

Buying a PC anymore is like buying a GM car. You may have bought the one called a Buick and Chevy has one just like it with a different grill and tail lights for less money. When you open the hoods both cars have the same cheap crap installed.
                            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                            Rod Serling

Comment

I have a hundred or so of the these Dell systems, and have had to start recapping them myself. Dell no longer fixes these boards for me, all the better, though. The ones they sent back would die eventually, and had very poor soldering done (examining the bottom of the board gave that away).

I buy sets of every capacitor for these systems at this great website I found:

www.iamstupidandspamshitonotherpeoplessites.com

The site also has instructions.

Aaron

Comment

So does TopCat.... you know, the OWNER of this website and message board that you're on???
                                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

@ twistedbottlecap10: my office PC is a GX260, I'm using it since 2003, 10h/day - 5/7days and till now it has no problem at all.

Ciao
                                  Gianni
                                  "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                  H. J. Brown

Comment

I worked for a big call center. They purchased over 2,000 GX270's. By the time I quit I think they had probably RMA'd 35 to 40% of them. Dell would send replacement boards and the techs there would replace them. The Mobo was a foxconn. Usually the video would quit first. Huge prob for them. Imagine talking to a rep and they have to hang up on you because thier computers vid blinked out.

Comment

Just found a half dozen SX280's (small form factor) with bad caps at my new job stuck in a storage room. I'd want to go ahead and replace the caps and was wondering if anyone has a link to the service manual or another site that shows how to remove the motherboard? I removed all of the screws and standoffs that I could see, but obviously I'm mising something. Do I need to remove the CPU?. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Did you try Dell's website and look in support?

Enter your Service Tag information and out come lots of useful and related information.

I had to do the same once to figure out how to move the mobo out!

Comment

4 screws! There are 4 screws located around the CPU socket that hold the motherboard to the metal tray. I think once you remove the heatsink you should see them.
                                          Last edited by captne76; 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X