Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-46EX402 firmware and restarting problem

Hi to all on Badcaps.net

The problem is with the unit called Sony KDL-46EX402. Which as i know of, is only sold in Denmark (yeah i'm from Denmark so sorry for the bad spelling ) and there's 2 problems with it, as i see it.

1: It keeps turning on and off. If i plug in the power cable the unit starts by itself. And when it has been on for like 2-10min it powers off and restarts again. Now this is the first problem and since it keeps on restarting i can't get to the Service Mode.

2: So the next problem is because my friend tried to update the firmware on this unit. He tought it would be an easy fix of the restarting. And then the horror started. Cause it restarted in the middle of a firmware update, and when i plug in the power cord (and the unit powers itself on) i only get to a menu where i can update the firmware - nothing else is coming on the screen. And when i take the USB-drive with "Firmware.psd" on it and plug it in, it wont load the firmware onto the TV-unit.

Now, i can't figure out what the problem is. But the 1. problem seems to have something to do with the power control i guess (i'm diffently not an expert). But the 2. problem i can't figure out. Cause it won't allow me to load new firmware onto the unit.

I tought the 1. problem could be fixed by replacing the power board (yellow one) but that didn't do anything at all. So i'm thinking that it can only be the signal/video board, cause the T-con board and backlight converter is fine i guess since i have a picture when i plug it in the wall circuit.

I have attached some pitures (1,5MPixel, but i also have them in original 20mpixel) if it can help at all. The menus are in Danish but before i have plugged in the USB with Firmware on, it says: "System update", "Local opgrade/application", "There wasn't found any useable opdate data".

And when i plug in the USB with firmware on, it says: "!" and when i move the menu cursor to "Actual softwareinfo" it says M8.311 (which i guess it the current firmware on the TV-unit. The Firmware laying on the USB is version "M8.728"
    http://www.sony.dk/support/da/produc...FW_BraviaM8728

Now i don't expect somebody can say some magic word and my problem will go away, but i'll be glad if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Ask anything if it can help at all!
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-46EX402 firmware and restarting problem

Am i doning somthing wrong, or is it just that no one knows this problem?

Comment

Your description of the issue is fine, so I'm guessing no one has an answer for you unfortunately. If I understand what you've done so far:

1. When you say it won't load the firmware now, do you get an error message, or does it not see the updated firmware image on the USB device?

2. You replaced the power board, and everything was still the same (could not update firmware, and the TV is still turning on and off)?

Have you tried to get into the service menu and/or performing a reset to factory default (I have not tried these, since I don't have this TV.. but give it a shot):

Method 1

With the TV turned on, input this code:
      Left > Right > Muting > Center + > Muting > Menu

Method 2

With the TV off (assuming this means standby), input this code quickly:
      display > 5 > + volume > power

Comment

Hi Wrog.

So 1:

I'm no Sony expert, so i don't know if its rejecting the firmware on the USB device or not. I would hope that someone with a Sony knowledge could answer me, by looking at the pictures i've uploaded, and tell me if everthing looks normal. Cause when the USB device is plugged into the TV it says what you can see on the picture. And i've tried pressing all buttons, but none of which will get the firmware updating going. So i don't know what is wrong or what i'm doing wrong. I hope someone with Sony knowledge could help.

2:
        When i replaced the power board nothing chance - It the same. So i guess that the power board is okay.

Service menu:
        Method 1 hasn't worked for me. and for method 2 i need the TV to be turned off - which i can't :-\

Thanks for your time! It means a lot to me! :-)

Comment

Since you were able to get a replacement power supply, would it be possible to get a replacement mainboard? The issue almost certainly lies there, as you have already figured out. I took a quick look at eBay but didn't have any luck.

A thought on the USB firmware: It sounds like you are plugging it in after the TV has powered on. Have you tried plugging the USB device in first (while the TV is off) and then starting up the TV? Also, once the TV is on it is impossible to put it in standby mode (power off via remote)?

I no longer have any Sony TVs here, so I can't verify any of these steps.

Comment

Well, that was also what i came up with. I mean, to change the mainboard. There's not anything else it can be. But does it have to be the same model that it comes from? or can i use another mainboard as long as its the same serial number?

I mean, as long as it's the same number as on this pictures, it should be okay? right? Or does it have to come from the same TV model?

I have tried plugging it in before i switch it on - it's the same.

When i try to turn it off (standby) it just turns on again like i said before.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, first I do not know much about tvs, if this model is only in Denmark not many members will have experience of it. Can you find the chassis number - it may be sold under a different model in other countries.

Where did the firmware you are trying come from?

Does the power switch share the same socket as the IR for the remote control?
              If not can you unplug the set then unplug the power switch
              cable. then plug in the set and try operating with the remote.

I have found this access to the service menu. Dont know if it works and cant vouch for the source.
              "get into the service menu When "TV's ON", I+, 5, Vol, Power.
              Then menu looks just like a regular setting menu.
              I contol it with the regulat arrows and + (enter) keys.
              Green to Save, Red to exit."
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

The same boards are frequently used in different size models, or even across multiple vendors, so as long as the part number matches it should be OK. There are a few that match this part number on eBay and shopjimmy.com:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-A-1771-...item3cc99ddf06

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-a-1771...-ben-board.htm

Comment

Don't use that number!! That is the basic number used in many models. There should be a barcode sticker on the board with the correct number. It is usually one that is not on the tuner module. Check shopjimmy . com for more info.

Comment

Sometimes even if the main board is exactly the same you may need to get into the service menu if it was used with a different make or size of panel.
                    Probably not easy if you cant get a picture on screen because its a different panel.
                    Chicken and egg problem.
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

So now i'm confused..

Have you all read my posts or are you just posting?

First of all the firmware is from Sony own webpage (look at my first post). And Where do i find what chassis number it is?

Barcode sticker? where? Look at my images and guide me please. Is it the one above the mainboard?

So who should i listen to?.. hehe.. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by Gaming-king View Post

or are you just posting?
                        \
                        ?
                        First of all the firmware is from Sony own webpage (look at my first post).
                        Must have missed that -whilst you are working on 1 tv I am working on several?
                        Perhaps my brain switched off after reading your friend tried to update the firmware on a machine that is not switched on properly, possible "bricking" it for good without sony intervention.

And Where do i find what chassis number it is?
                        May not have it on but is usually on the label with the make and model number, voltage and place of manufacture
                        which is usually on the outside of the back cover, but may be on the inside of the back cover
                        So who should i listen to?.. hehe..
                        In your position I think you need to listen to everyone and try anything and everything.

As regards using another main board read this , start at post

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ce+menu&page=4

Comment

I'm sorry if i sounded a bit harsh.

This is the only label i could find on the back - well there was another one but it said KDL 46EX402 (which the model is called).

but the label is pictured here. It doesn't say that much to me.
                          Attached Files

Comment

So.. I'm thinking of getting a mainboard with the same serial number as the one i have now - everthou i can't find one with the same model number. Is this a big deal? i mean, isn't it possible to load the 46ex402 firmware into it and then it will still think it's a 46ex402 eventhough it comes from a 40ex401?

Comment

It's likely compatible, though there could be caveats such as the LCD panel model being incorrect, which either causes poor/incorrect colours (correctable) or noisy/rolling picture (not easy to correct.) Perhaps you can find a cracked screen 46EX402, and harvest the main board?
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The problem is that the 46ex402 is only sold in the scandinavian markedet and its impossible to find spare parts or broken TVs. So i guess that either i haft to dump the broken TV or try using spare parts from other models (but with the same mainboard model number of cause).

I can find spare parts for the 40ex401 and its the exact same model number on the mainboard. But i can't find the differences between those to models.

Comment

You could try asking Sony if boards are interchangeable - you might get lucky - they can only say "we dont know" or "we cant (wont) tell you"

Just for a laugh you could PM Sonylistens and see what she thinks?

See
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...79&postcount=3

Comment

Just a further thought as my Danish is not too good (That would be non existant)
                                    Often when downloading upgrades and firmware you have to rename the file before you upload it.
                                    Do the instructions say anywhere that you need to do that?

"Firmware.psd" doesnt seem descriptive enough id expect it at least to include the upgrade edition number

Did you ever try i,5,vol,power for the service menu?

More versions here (For other sonys but might work)
                                    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-l...vice-menu.html
                                    Last edited by selldoor; 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Maybe i'll try asking Sony :-)

About the firmware file name. It just says that you haft to download it and put it on a USB at the root folder. And it doesn't say anything about renaming the firmware.udp file.

I have tried all combinations of the service menu. But when i hit the power button at the end, it shuta down and restarts, and we're back at square one.

Thanks for your time!!!

Comment

With Samsung TVs, you have to have the TV in standby when you enter service code - try that then the final "power" will turn it on, maybe in service mode?
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X