Navitek replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navitek replacement

My (ancient -- I think it predates their "model numbering"!) Navitek is on its last leg (display problem). Replacements are outrageously expensive and, given that I only use this occasionally, hardly seem worth the "investment".

[This is the approximate "current offering" to which I'd have to add the "remotes kit"]

This leaves me with two other options:
    • try to fix the display
    • hack together something of comparable functionality

The display appears to be handled as a "peripheral" with it's own CoB. So, that makes repair a dubious prospect. I could probably reverse engineer its interface and "emulate" a comparable "presentation mechanism" -- but in a more awkward package.

Hacking together something comparable would likely be a poor time-money tradeoff (it doesn't take long to spend an amount of time equivalent to the $1000+ for a replacement!). OTOH, this would likely be a gizmo that others would want to "hack together" so there is an intangible benefit to undertaking that effort.

(There is also the benefit of being able to customize that sort of solution in ways that a COTS design wouldn't support)

Or, has someone come up with an alternative, already?

(Note this is not as mundane as a "continuity tester")
    Last edited by Curious.George; 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM. Reason: Added links to comparable COTS device

Re: Navitek replacement

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
    hack together something of comparable functionality
    Pestering colleagues with this same question led to a near universal suggestion to "hack something together" -- along with "orders" for 2 dozen of them, just among the folks I asked for advice!

So, that's enough "demand" for a small lot board/component purchase and we can each "enhance" the software in ways that we see fit (and share amongst ourselves)

Heck, I might even be able to justify $30 worth of components! Woo-hoo!

Though I'll have to find a COTS enclosure as I don't want to design something "sexxy" in CAD and pay to have just a couple dozen made! Nor do I want to make thousands and have to "go into business" selling them just to recover the mold costs (And, 3D-printed cases usually leave a lot to be desired in addition to requiring all the CAD work)

Comment

Working...
    X