X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    Or the card is a Chinese counterfeit. they do that crap all the time...
    Possible I suppose......I don't know it's origins....a buddy found it in a junkbox of random shit and thought of me. Card *appears* legit, has all the proper tags/ID's....but no telling.

The hwrdware ID in device manager comes up accurate: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_683D&SUBSYS_8304174B&REV_00

If I go to manually select a driver based on what I extracted, there's not even a selection for the HD8760....

When searching their site, this is the driver it points to: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...rad-win-20-8-3

The HD8760 isn't even in the list of compatible cards.... I still think wonky driver issue.....ATI/AMD has been horrible about this the last umpteen years.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Possible I suppose......I don't know it's origins....a buddy found it in a junkbox of random shit and thought of me. Card *appears* legit, has all the proper tags/ID's....but no telling.

The hwrdware ID in device manager comes up accurate: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_683D&SUBSYS_8304174B&REV_00

If I go to manually select a driver based on what I extracted, there's not even a selection for the HD8760....

When searching their site, this is the driver it points to: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...rad-win-20-8-3

The HD8760 isn't even in the list of compatible cards.... I still think wonky driver issue.....ATI/AMD has been horrible about this the last umpteen years.
      Heads up, many weeks ago by now, I got a rare crash without a BSOD displayed, but Windows 10 logged "0x0000003b" for "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". It definitely looked like wonky driver in that case! It happened before version 20.5.1, IIRC. (Radeon Adrenalin software)

But, OTOH, your problem is far more suspicious! If you can't find it in the legacy driver section, then there's a good chance that you received a Chinese counterfeit card!

The Adrenalin software don't support pre-GCN Radeons! Radeon HDxxxx is an old-ass series.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-11-2020, 04:17 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        Heads up, many weeks ago by now, I got a rare crash without a BSOD displayed, but Windows 10 logged "0x0000003b" for "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". It definitely looked like wonky driver in that case! It happened before version 20.5.1, IIRC. (Radeon Adrenalin software)

But, OTOH, your problem is far more suspicious! If you can't find it in the legacy driver section, then there's a good chance that you received a Chinese counterfeit card!

The Adrenalin software don't support pre-GCN Radeons! Radeon HDxxxx is an old-ass series.
        I think I found the card in the list...they hyphenated HD8500 - HD8900, in which this card would fall into. Defective or fake, no telling. The card does seem to work. Ohh well....freebies are free for a reason sometimes.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Is that error code commonly happening to "Navi" users?

IIRC, people are reporting crashes being common with "Navi" Radeons.
          (RX5000 series)

I'm wondering if it's the same bugcheck code, 0x0000003b, which is for "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION"?

I only recall getting that once with my "Ellesmere" (Radeon RX580) (An update of the Polaris arch.) (An updated version of the Radeon RX480, pretty much!)

(Mine is a predecessor to "Navi")
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

It's not throwing out any errors at all, card works fine....just shows up as the incorrect GPU. Could be a fake. I'll get some good pics of it tomorrow when I get to work, maybe someone can tell... I can usually spot fakes, so if this one is a fake, they did a stellar job!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

It's not throwing out any errors at all, card works fine....just shows up as the incorrect GPU. Could be a fake. I'll get some good pics of it tomorrow when I get to work, maybe someone can tell... I can usually spot fakes, so if this one is a fake, they did a stellar job!
              A "fake"=Reportedly claiming the card is a newer gen, while putting an older-gen GPU instead.

And, with my last post, I was wondering if "Navi" owners can reply here.

Albeit, I have an MSI Radeon RX5500XT new in the box! Hasn't been opened up yet! An entry-level "Navi", but smokes the entry-level "Polaris" cards! (Especially RX550 and RX560)
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Was given a ATI HD8760 2gb ddr5 today. Installed driver, card seems to work fine....but card shows as a HD7700.... yay for wonky ATI/AMD drivers....
                HD8k series was never officially released as stand-alone desktop video card - at least not from 3rd parties. From what I gather, only a select few OEM PCs ever came with these. They aren't popular. HD8k series was mostly a series incorporated into laptops and APU desktop chips.

With that said, according to Techpowerup, HD8760 is a Cape Verde GPU (but note the "OEM" in the tittle):
                https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...8760-oem.c1964
                ... which means, it's essentially the same thing as HD7770:
                https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...z-edition.c308
                ... so to the drivers, it makes no difference whether you pick HD8760 or HD7770.

It's kind of like back in the day, when you could flash a consumer Radeon to a workstation FireGL card and vice-versa (or GeForce to Quadro on the nVidia side of things), and then use the drivers for that, accordingly. The cores were the same back then, but it was just mostly driver optimizations that determined how the card behaved.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                Or the card is a Chinese counterfeit. they do that crap all the time...
                Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps kind of like the popular GTX 960 counterfeits on eBay and Ali (that use a GTX 550 or GTS450 GPU, but report as GTX 960 and DX12-compatible, lol.)

To TC: see if you can find any marks on the PCB or cooler that indicates who made your card. If it's an OEM card, look for Dell or HP -specific stickers (typically a QR code somewhere on the card.) Dell cards also tend to have a Dell "D P/N...." part number somewhere.

Or better yet, if you can install any drivers, run GPU-Z and see what it reports for the manufacturer.

Could be that too.

I despise AMD/ATI's consumer drivers (Adrenalin drivers, that is.)

Always get the "workstation" / long term support (or whatever they were called) drivers. I actually had to do that with an HD7950. The Adrenalin drivers were garbage: had flashy RGB crap all-over (including menus and buttons, which my card doesn't even support!) and options related to Gaming, Streaming, and social media crap. I don't want that! I want a simple driver that works and takes less resources and is minimally distracting / disruptive. The Adrenalin drivers were the opposite of that - my mouse cursor kept blinking the busy/sand clock every 2-3 seconds and CPU usage was 10-20% just sitting at the desktop doing nothing. I got rid of the Adrenaline shit and installed the workstation -type drivers. All problems gone and CPU usage at idle back to practically 0.

Radeon HDxxxx is an old-ass series.
                Old, but not fully outdated yet. The high-end R9 cards can still run modern games. Problem is finding a working R9 card anymore. eBay is filled with dead ones. Pretty much anything HD7k and onwards is not very reliable. On the nVidia side, it's a similar theme with the lower-end GTX 1000 series. Looks like they gave them 1-2 years warranty max for a reason.

What I do with cards like that is put them in older 'budget boxes' that won't be used for stuff beyond web browsing/office purposes... They'll sure beat the Intel onboard graphics of the C2Q (~2010) era.
                They are indeed much better than onboard, as long as you have a better PSU to run them. The HD3870 and even the 4850 aren't very power-hungry - will run on a 300-Watter with a decent 12V rail all day every day. But they still need a more beefy PSU and a PCI-E 12V power conn., compared to something like HD4670/5670/6570/7570, which are typically sub-50 Watts TDP.

For office/browsing PCs, I prefer even more basic (but newer!) low-power GPUs. Being newer ensures they would have proper H.264, VP9, and other modern hardware video decoders to off-load the CPU. And being low-power means just less heat and noise system-wide.

These older higher-end PCI-E cards are good for older game rigs, and that's what I'll probably try with these HD3870's (maybe even Crossfire?? 0.o)

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                and then they also had 9200 se or 9250 se cards. the 9200 series of cards are just the 9000 series but with an agp 8x bus upgrade but the 92x0 se cards had a crippled 64-bit mem bus and ended up slower than the 9000 series! the confusing naming convention never ends! i wonder how many got suckered up and confused by that! not referring to you, momaka as one of them btw...
                Gee, THANKS!
                (J/K, I'm not offended in any way, lol.)

Yeah, ATI sure as heck confused a lot of people back then with that naming convention. The Radeon 9000 was just a slower 8500, but the 9200 and 9250 (nevermind the SE series yet), despite having higher model numbers than the 9000, were much worse cards, similar in performance to Radeon 7000, but with updated DX8.1 support. 9200 came in both 128-bit and 64-bit memory bus variants, but the difference in performance was negligible and kind of similar to GeForce FX5200 series (which also sucked regardless if one got it with the 128-bit or 64-bit variant.) The 9250 was 64-bit memory, only though. And then, there were the SE versions of these cards... known as the extra Slow Editions (or Sucky/Shit Edition, if you prefer) - slower GPU and memory clocks, on top of already crippled 64-bit bus.

And yeah, I had one, so I very well know.
                In my case, though, I didn't really know at all what I was getting at the time. I was 13 and my parents simply gave me a certain amount of cash, after begging them for a while to upgrade the family PC (which was an aging Pentium II back in 2003.) $59 in 2003 got me an ASUS Radeon 9200 SE 64M video card. It wasn't good then (or even decent for that matter), but coming from an 8 MB S3 Savage4, it was.. WHOA! With the rest of the system updated too (with equally budget components ), I played Half-Life 2 and many other games on that card (at crappy sub-30 FPS rates and 640x480 or 800x600 if I was lucky), so I still got my money worth out of it. At least I knew enough just not to get a Celeron, though.
                Last edited by momaka; 09-11-2020, 07:50 PM.

Comment

A "fake"=Reportedly claiming the card is a newer gen, while putting an older-gen GPU instead.
                  The weird part is that the hardware ID's are correct for the HD8760 and the card is marked appropriately. This one looks exactly like a HD8760 *should* look. A lot of the fakes or 'gray market' cards I've seen are easy to spot.... Poor build quality, flimsy/poorly cut PCB's, incorrect badging, poor english.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    HD8k series was never officially released as stand-alone desktop video card - at least not from 3rd parties. From what I gather, only a select few OEM PCs ever came with these. They aren't popular. HD8k series was mostly a series incorporated into laptops and APU desktop chips.

With that said, according to Techpowerup, HD8760 is a Cape Verde GPU (but note the "OEM" in the tittle):
                    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...8760-oem.c1964
                    ... which means, it's essentially the same thing as HD7770:
                    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...z-edition.c308
                    ... so to the drivers, it makes no difference whether you pick HD8760 or HD7770.
                    Even AMD's site said "OEM" next to HD8xxx drivers, both mobile and desktop. The card doesn't ring out fake.....but I'll have a closer look tomorrow...and good call with GPUz.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Even AMD's site said "OEM" next to HD8xxx drivers, both mobile and desktop. The card doesn't ring out fake.....but I'll have a closer look tomorrow...and good call with GPUz.
                      If they're the same core, sounds like it's probably legit... just a poorly supported wonky card.

Nvidia did the same thing with the Gerforce GTS250, which was just a die-shrunk (and OC'd?) 9800, not a true 200 series core. This is how I was able to run them SLI'd on my 940 boards that supposedly could only SLI up to the 9000 series .
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Some pics & screenshots of GPU-Z...

GPU-Z; says made by Sapphire....but detected as HD7700

Case:

Bottom with P/N tag:

Back of card. I didn't get a great shot of the label....but its pretty legible.

Back again, and pic of the other label....this one came out more clearly.

IO Panel.

If I run the PN on the bottom of the card (7120a001h1g), it comes back to a HD7700.

If I run the number on the back of the card (H88-3E243-101A8), it comes back to a HD8760

Now play 'name that card'!!
                        Attached Files
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Some pics & screenshots of GPU-Z...

GPU-Z; says made by Sapphire....but detected as HD7700
                          If I run the PN on the bottom of the card (7120a001h1g), it comes back to a HD7700.

If I run the number on the back of the card (H88-3E243-101A8), it comes back to a HD8760

Now play 'name that card'!!
                          LOLLOLLOL.

So, based on the pics, I think we can rule out it being a counterfeit or cheapo China built.

PCB is marked "Advanced Micro Devices Inc. Model: c468", which is legit PCB for Radeon HD7770 series.

And apparently, Sapphire really must be making these for the OEM market, because there is a BIOS page on Techpowerup for your particular card:
                          https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/175872/175872
                          On the bottom of that page, the card is described as Sapphire HD8760, HD7700 series.

But here is where it gets interesting: both the HD8760 (Latte XL core) and HD7770 GHz Edition (Cape Verde XL core) are listed to have 640 unified shaders / cores, but yours has 512. This puts it on par with the HD7750 (Cape Verde Pro core):
                          https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...n-hd-7750.c309
                          BUT.... your card has a PCI-E power connector and has the same core and memory clocks of the HD8760 and HD7770, rather than the slower clock of the HD7750. So it's not quite a proper HD8760/7770 GHz edition, yet not quite the slower HD7750 either.

Side note: HD8760 OEM and 7770 GHz edition are rated at 80W TDP, whereas the 7750 is rated at 55W. Looking at the heatsink on your card, it looks the same as what was included on my HD5750 - also an 80-something-odd Watts card. The stock cooler was good for idle/browsing/office use, but quickly got toasty with load. It couldn't keep the core under 65C, and it ended up dead over time. So if you feel experimental, you can check the HD7750 BIOS to see what clocks and voltages it uses, then reduce yours to the same. It will make the card slower, but will likely run a lot cooler too.

Whichever the case, it's a Cape Verde card, so I suppose it doesn't really matter as which the drivers pick it up.

That said, I noticed the GPU-Z screenshots you included had a red-blue hue on the text, which I initially thought was the forum image inline resize/compression playing with my eyes. But zooming in shows the hue is still there. Perhaps this is a result of saving the file as JPG instead of PNG? If not, looks like there may be a drivers and/or hardware issue with the card.

I also noted you're using the Adrenalin drivers. Try the WHQL / workstation drivers instead... that is "Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise", as I see it's called now.

Here are the ones for the HD8760 OEM / HD7770 GHz Edition (Win10 64-bit)
                          https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prog...0.q3-aug12.exe
                          (On that note, I think AMD includes the same driver package regardless of which card you pick, but for most high end ones, you get a choice of the regular Adrenalin drivers and the Enterprise ones.)
                          Last edited by momaka; 09-12-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

That said, I noticed the GPU-Z screenshots you included had a red-blue hue on the text, which I initially thought was the forum image inline resize/compression playing with my eyes. But zooming in shows the hue is still there. Perhaps this is a result of saving the file as JPG instead of PNG? If not, looks like there may be a drivers and/or hardware issue with the card.
                            Probably a combination of saving as a JPG and using a VERY old program to capture the screenshot (painshop pro 8). This better? Captured from the same system, but saved as PNG:

I also noted you're using the Adrenalin drivers. Try the WHQL / workstation drivers instead... that is "Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise", as I see it's called now.

Here are the ones for the HD8760 OEM / HD7770 GHz Edition (Win10 64-bit)
                            https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prog...0.q3-aug12.exe
                            (On that note, I think AMD includes the same driver package regardless of which card you pick, but for most high end ones, you get a choice of the regular Adrenalin drivers and the Enterprise ones.)
                            Gives an error trying to download.....because ATI's spyware/trackers won't allow links to files without referrers apparently that aren't their own. I did manage to find it on their site (clusterfrack mess).....
                            Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Probably a combination of saving as a JPG and using a VERY old program to capture the screenshot (painshop pro 8). This better? Captured from the same system, but saved as PNG:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1599932351
                              That works!

Though, you do know if you click that camera button on GPU-Z in the upper-right corner, it automatically let's you save a screenshot just of the GPU-Z screen.

I think it is GIF format by default. GIF is nice and dandy, but IIRC, the forum attachment feature here automatically converts it into JPG, and that also adds image compression artifacts to the image. So what I do instead is I take the GIF screenshot saved by GPU-Z and open it in MS Paint, then save to PNG format. Then there is no compression artifacts or loss of quality.

The thing about PNG is that it doesn't like color pallets. So if you have Aero or something similar, the file can become considerably larger than JPG for the same size. On the other hand, if the image has mostly solid and just standard colors (like Windows classic interface with solid color title bar and Windows 10), the file can be smaller than JPG. In the above case, you can see your PNG is half the size of the JPG file. Saves a tiny bit of bandwidth... though I probably wasted more typing all this text.

Gives an error trying to download.....because ATI's spyware/trackers won't allow links to files without referrers apparently that aren't their own. I did manage to find it on their site (clusterfrack mess).....
                              Ah, I knew it! Should have checked the link.
                              IDK, I kind of have gotten used to the AMD drivers website and it's not too bad IMO. Can find mostly anything pretty quickly.

Comment

For what it's worth with this weird card, here's the Pro drivers....still showing as a HD7700.....

Yea, I'm aware of the little camera thingy....I'm just old school I guess, and do things the old way, manually......

Attached Files
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

It's not fake its just a rebranded for OEMs 7700 card. HP Asus and a few others used it. Here is a HP system that offered it. I bet if you use the HP drivers it will show as a 8760. Here is a link to the HP system I know used it. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03650812
                                  Last edited by brethin; 09-12-2020, 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The fastest way to tell if it's AMD is they only use odd numbers in the last 2 digits of the card, aka like 7750 7770 7790 etc. If the last 2 digits are even numbers like 7740 7760 7780 it's a made for OEMs rebranded card.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                      It's not fake its just a rebranded for OEMs 7700 card. HP Asus and a few others used it. Here is a HP system that offered it. I bet if you use the HP drivers it will show as a 8760. Here is a link to the HP system I know used it. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03650812
                                      That definitely sheds some light on it...and thanks for taking the time to post that. Ironically enough, it was tested in a HP motherboard, which appears to be a rebranded Asus/Pegatron, LGA1366 Xeon. I'll probably just leave it in this system, its a better card than the Geforce 9800GT that was in it. I'll stick with the ATI pro drivers versus some elderly HP drivers, as performance-wise, the newer would probably be better and without the usual HP bloatware.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Found 4 boxes in my closet I didn't toss in the dumpster. 2 boxes of hards drive 1 box sata 1 box pata and a box of video cards and 1 box mother boards. I opened the video card box and found some older stuff 2 9800 gtx cards a 8800gtx card were on top and I stopped. I'll look through it all later and see if if it's worth hanging on too.

Comment

That works!

Though, you do know if you click that camera button on GPU-Z in the upper-right corner, it automatically let's you save a screenshot just of the GPU-Z screen.

I think it is GIF format by default. GIF is nice and dandy, but IIRC, the forum attachment feature here automatically converts it into JPG, and that also adds image compression artifacts to the image. So what I do instead is I take the GIF screenshot saved by GPU-Z and open it in MS Paint, then save to PNG format. Then there is no compression artifacts or loss of quality.
                                          If you press Alt+PrintScreen then only the window that has focus will be captured.
                                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                          X