X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinion on old plasma tvs i have gaetway daiwoo akai

hi

i have 3 old plasma tvs that were obtained back many years ago as projects

just wondering if i should just toss in trash or not...even if fixed these tvs would only sell for maybe $50-100 each if lucky

these are very old..some of the first plasma tvs ever made even before hdmi came out...

gateway GTW-P42M102..powers on but has image issues

Daewoo DP-42SM no power on 100% dead

Akai PDP4290 when try to power on just clciks once...no pic no sound no standby nothing

i really hate tossing anyhting in trash but i also will not spend more money and time on something that has no positive value...

tvs nowadays are just disposable and have no vlaue at all broken and even working have very little value since you can get a brand new tv at walmart for almost nothing

i would appreciate all and any honest input

thank you

Re: opinion on old plasma tvs i have gaetway daiwoo akai

Originally posted by shelby5041 View Post
    hi
    i really hate tossing anyhting in trash but i also will not spend more money and time on something that has no positive value...

i would appreciate all and any honest input
    Pass them along to the next person to fix for a case of beer!
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thats about all they are worth today

zilch zero nothing lol

ii used to enjoy trying to fix them but nowadays there is no reason to ...it makes no economic sense

sad to say

we are in a disposable society

Comment

fyi i dont drink beer so it would be a case of koo-Lay

Comment

I'm finding less demand for LCDs TV that are around the 10yr old mark. Heavy and old plasmas without HDMI ports should be put in the same pile as projection and tube TVs.

Comment

yes i agree with you

lcd tvs have little value today period

and im thinking the same old plasma tvs that cost $5000 15 years ago are worth zero today

so it looks like trash day coming soon....it is what it is

thats how technology is....technology has a very short life cycle as far as having any value at all

i sold a 26 inch lcd tv last week for $35....thats all i could get..its pathetic and not worth repairing any tvs anymore

Comment

the 26 inch lcd tv i sold for 35 worked great... but thats market value out here

Comment

unless the tv is under 3 or 4 years old, i end up sending most of mine to an exporter that sends them to 3rd world countries. i get very little for them but it keeps me doing it. still slowly transferring my skills into micro soldering. even badcaps has slowed down a lot over the last couple of years.
                WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

In my area which encompasses a population around 50,000 I seem to be the only one with an interest. At our local tip they get a number and a few are late model but some group or business pays for and takes them all. I find it is harder now to get parts, prices for them are higher than previously and up to ridiculous given sets worth very little when working. My pricing which did work well was $$s to 2x screen size say $80 for 40" with slight adjustment up/down depending on age/condition. But new sets now so reduced in price that the only thing of interest in fixing some is the challenge itself.

Comment

Agreed...unfort tv repair is coming to an end....thanks

Ill toss them in trash

Comment

just for the hell of it i took the daewoo dp-42sm plasma apart...it is made so much better than todays crap tvs...it was mostly made of aluminum and steel and glass...the crap they make today is made of plastic plastic and plastic...

anyways im scrapping the aluminum...the entire back was aluminum as was much of the structure....very well built tv

the general public are ignorant when it comes to quality made products...they think light is good...to me light is bad..light means its cheap and made mostly of plastic

anyways it was fun tearing it apart

Comment

i kept the entire plasma panel..its in excellent condition....ill save and maybe see if someone needs it..its all in tact..has a nice aluminum frame around it

Comment

but to be fair..that tv cost about $3000 new back in 2003.....in recent plasma tvs same size tv would have been about $300 new but made mostly of plastic...

Comment

so you get what you pay for.....tvs are cheap now because they are cheap lol

Comment

I did a quick check on eBay for your Gateway and people are asking some pretty outlandish prices for replacement boards. Of course, none of that stuff has sold. Maybe, if you can determine which board(s) is/are bad and price the good boards cheaply, then you may still make a few $ off of them.

Comment

thanks// i know for sure the power supply is good......i believe its a bad image board..had 2 of these both had same issues.... i may try to sell some of the boards...the daewoo boards are basically worthless...i looked..and yes the gateways are listed but dont sell becasue there prob arent any in operating circulation anymore

Comment

or i could just sell boards super cheap as is....unknown condition

and just explain what tv was doing and buyer can determine if worth the risk...you never know...

Comment

correction daewoo has quite a few listed on ebay..i typed in wrong number...so maybe i will try to sell real cheap and make a couple dollars

thanks for your input

Comment

Well, sometimes you never know a vintage tech may become collectible. For example, Sony Trinitron TVs are now in high demand and commanding good prices due to collector and nostalgic interest. Certain types of VCRs such as Super VHS and VCR to DVD recorders are becoming hot items on eBay. The same with old analog stereo amps and tape decks from the 70s and 80s...I remember you can’t even give these things away a few years ago. Who knows, quality plasma TVs or certain LCD/LED tech may follow the same collectible path.

Comment

True ...ive still got 3 sony trinitron 32 inch hd crt tvs lol

And i have an old pioneer plasma tv...works great....going to hold onto it....

I like old stuff....but im not your regular person....lol

Im the type of guy who would rather have a 1950s drill press over a new one.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X