Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV ignition switch hack.

Or "what ignition switch? all i see is a box with three switches in it!"
    i have the title in hand and have no keys, so i look up replacements, it's not made anymore! hmm, what to do..... a universal replacement doesn't fit, so that won't work. what's left? Build my own!!!! and that's what we got here.

old turds worth of a PSU case gutted and holes drilled for the switch. wiring traced and pinned out. $14 worth of parts, a scrap PSU and time and we have this monstrosity! BTW, i did wrap the wire in electrical tape so it looks better.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goontron; 05-29-2015, 02:48 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: RV ignition switch hack.

o.k.
    why didnt you just rip all the pins/levers out of the original barrel so it will turn with any key?

or re-arrange the pins/levers to match a different key?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      o.k.
      why didnt you just rip all the pins/levers out of the original barrel so it will turn with any key?

or re-arrange the pins/levers to match a different key?
      i did that, it didn't work. on autopsy the spring holding the main contact was bad and the bakelite holding it was broken too.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Comment

I think it looks kinda cool! Definitely different!!! Very creative I'd say!
          -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

My grandparents actually had a similar setup to this on their piece of shit RV with the exception being the accessory position worked in the column so there was just a toggle switch and push button hanging under the dash.

That wasn't the worst part about the setup though as their dog had also ate the cruise control lever. Combined with a 440 with 200k+ miles, side paneling duct taped and pop riveted on and a leaky windshield I've got no idea why they kept it so long.

Comment

stripping a junk mh now. i saved the switch and key if you need it..

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                stripping a junk mh now. i saved the switch and key if you need it..
                No. But if you could make a diagram of the genny controls that would be awesome!

- KE0ETP
                Last edited by goontron; 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

this one simply duplicated the switch setup on the onan with a switch on a fancy control panel above the door.
                  a long pair of #4 cables to the battery box and a fuel line pickup to the tank.
                  real simple.

Comment

^ is that it? OK! Simple enough.

- KE0ETP

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Doesn't this belong in the ghetto mods thread?

I think my dad did something similar when the clutch switch broke, he wired around it and put a push button to turn the starter motor on...

Why he didn't just bypass the clutch switch I don't know, probably because he didn't rootcause where the break was.

Comment

UPDATE: well, we tried to take it to southern Colorado. It can't make it over the pass. No one wants it. Its off to the scrap! Pulled the genny, breaker panel/battery charger, battries, potable water pump, ignition switch, CB antenna, and pair of train horns from the top.
                        Last edited by goontron; 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

You can buy a uinversal keyed switch . You just need to drill a hole in the dash board . It will make it less likely for some one to steal the r.v.

Comment

I want an rv...

Comment

About a year and a 1/2 ago I saw an prison buss up for auction . I an sure that made some one a nice r.v. As it was getting hot , I did not hang around untill it sold , so I have no idea of how much it went for . When I find there web address I will post it .
                              p.s. I see 2 motor homes there . The site will come up on my phone , but I cant get to come up on my p.c. ,strange . Its www.wsmauctioneers.com
                              Last edited by desert-rat; 09-04-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X