bad capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad capacitor

hey everyone i am new and have a problem with my motherboard its a MSI MS-7548 and it has one blown capacitor and i was wondering should i replace it if its just one and what brand should i get to replace it also i heard i should go up a step like if the capacitor is a 6.3v 1000uf i should get a higher voltage so it doesn't blow again also it it normal that only one is bad i mean i looked at every one of them and only one is obvious this pic is not of my actual board but i just wanted to show you what one it is

Re: bad capacitor

As long as the manufacturer didn't screw up, there's no need to go up in voltage. Especially if that cap is already just filtering 3.3V or less... Higher voltage caps tend to have higher ESR so that's something to avoid too...

Comment

While going up in voltage won't hurt anything (as long as the cap still has suitable specs.) in most cases it is not necessary. Most cap failures are a result of the use of poor quality caps not using caps not rated for the voltage used. You will also often run into issues with physical dimensions since higher voltage capacitors are often physically larger.

Comment

I have some MSI motherboards where almost every capacitor is a Panasonic (good stuff), but a few 16V caps are Teapo (not so good). Is that what you have there?

Comment

I dubt these "Panasonic" are geniune. Because on my MSI PM8M3-V I see some Panasonic FL caps and Digi-key.com, nor Panasonic website, did not list any Panny FL caps at all...

Anyway, they are only d8, yet 16V - that is unusual alone. Not even old good Panny FM are made d8 and 1000uF in the 16V line:
          http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=1563&PV63=489
          They are d10, so, unless Panasonic made some special serie to the MSI (possible, but I'm highly doubtfull about it), they are fake.

Same for your mobo. Good Panasonic caps did not give up, mate
          "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
          "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Working...
          X