emac board bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emac board bad caps

hi im new to this forum so excuse me if im in the wrong place posting this but i have an emac board with buldging/ leaking caps. they are 1800uf and 6.3v 105c. they are 10x16mm in size. cant find the exact replacements so my question is can i replace these with 2200uf 6.3 capacitors and if so what effect will it have. this is a customers mac and i dont want to screw it up

Re: emac board bad caps

emac or iMac? Which model?

Need the brand and series of the old caps and how many. You can't replace just one in those banks of caps. Where on the mobo are they located?

Pics are always helpful.

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

its an emac im not sure which model as i dont have the casing to hand the bad caps on board are michicon 1800uf 6.3v 10x16 mm and they are circled in pic (8 of them) the other caps u see arnt buldging and are different rating. the powerboard ones su' scon and 2 of them are 3300uf 10v 13mm x25mm another 3 are 1200uf 10v 10mmx20mm. i have marked out where one of each of the power board capicitors where but i had removed them to measure their size. i hope this is enougth info
      Attached Files

Comment

Completely recap the system. Just because they aren't bulging, does not mean they are good.

In the first pic, the small metal cans in the lower left may be excluded from recap, at this time.

All those that are similar to the ones you have circled/marked need to be replaced.

Please provide brand (Nichicon, Su'scon) and series -a 2 or 3 letter code near temperature rating- of the remaining caps so proper replacement reference can be made.

So far you have referenced 13 of them. In your pics I see at least 11 more and perhaps some that are hidden from view.

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

ryt m8 sorry bout the delay been busy...nichicon ones are 8x h4108 and 5x h0427 the su'scon ones do not have a model number the 1200uf 10v have 0345(V) near the tempeture rating the 3300uf 10v 0405(v) the others are in 1's- 2200uf 16v 0407(V), 1500uf 16v 0408(V),1000uf 16v 0405(V),1200uf 35v 0405(V), 680uf 35v 0405(V), and 1200uf 35v 0405(V).

Comment

The numbers you gave {i.e.-0408(V)} are the manufacture date codes and the (V) marking usually refers to the tolerance rating, but I do not see a "V" code on the chart I have. There should be a 2 or 3 LETTER code near the temp marking.

You should be okay replacing the 1800uF caps with the 2200uF ones. The six together are likely in the same "bank". You'll be changing the overall capacitance from 10,800uF to 13,200, a 22% increase.

I would absolutely replace those Su'scon's. The date code appears to come right in the middle of the problem times for caps.

You should be able to get exact replacements for all of these caps from Panasonic, Rubycon, NCC/UCC, or Nichicon.

Where are you located?

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi Toasty!,yeah back in the UK,getting 1800 6.3v is getting nigh on impossibe.Lead times with RS are 4-5 months!.I am replacing these with the 2200 version but wonder if it would be better to replace with 10v 1800 as it has the same capacitance and size of the originals and the voltage increase should not affect stability,but I would bow to your opinion on this!.

Comment

Working...
              X