Bad Biostar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Biostar

I recently had to cure a problem on a computer for an old lady. she said her computer was freezing up for no reason. i could see after a while that her mouse and keyboard become unusable. this happened a few times so i decided to re install windows.. this is when the fun started. i made 3 attempts and everytime the thing would do exactly the same during installing windows. the mouse and keyboard would freeze. even a different windows disc made no difference not even a different version of windows. i then decided to take off the side cover. it did not take long to see what was wrong. there must have been around 20 or more leaking capacitors. this was the worst bad cap board i had seen. i decided it would be pointless re capping the board as she had very little stored on the computer and it is mainly used for light gaming type work. a new socket A board is still available but the problem is that the biostar board uses pc133 memory and not ddr. it would work out cheaper to buy a modern board with suitable cpu and memory. at least she will end up with more than the pultry 128mb of ram and have a much more powerful system overall. i will have to post pics when i have done the job. i think every cap has gone

Re: Bad Biostar

I agree, probably not worth repairing. 128MB of RAM is insufficient for modern-day tasks and a board old enough to use SD RAM is brobably only worth about $20 and it would cost at least that to re-cap if there are that many bad caps. Out of curiosity, what brand were the caps, and what model was the mobo?
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i would find a socket a board and get ddr ram. ddr is cheaper per mb than sdram, and is faster. biostar+'lytic caps= bad caps.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I now have this motherboard on the bench. there is a total of 18 caps that are bulging and/or leaking brown gunge. it is NOT a Biostar board. to be honest i dont know what make it is. the handbook says ''motherboard'' That is a brand i have never heard of but it is highly likely that it is a clone. it has a SIS 730s chipset. the model is 830CH. It was purchased in 2002 so i suppose 7 years is quite good. every single cap is made by ''GSC'' I have posted a photo showing every blown cap. first signs of trouble was a freezing keyboard and mouse and when i went to install windows it refused to install and kept blue screening
        Attached Files

Comment

GSC is an infamous crap capacitor brand. Since this motherboard can still POST, replacing those failed GSC capacitors with suitable replacements of higher quality will fix the problems that you are encountering with this motherboard.
          My gaming PC:
          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

i think i have found out the make of the motherboard. it seems like it could be a JETWAY. Whatever the make its a load of crap and will go in the bin. it was only around £30 anyway. its been replaced with a ASROCK ALive NF7G-GLAN

Comment

Working...
            X