X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Optiplex GX270 automatic restart - fixed

This computer is automatic restarting, see the tutorial video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ4FzAxBiTc

I fixed it by replacing the bloated e-caps.

Thanks

Re: Dell Optiplex GX270 automatic restart - fixed

good video and nice music, its too bad people keep trowing away dell 270s
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Ah, the good old GX270. So many of these suffer from bad caps. And not just around the CPU either - the one between the AGP connector and the RAM slots tends to run very hot due to the hot regulator next to it. If that one is a Rubycon, it often tends to go. Only Pannies seems to survive there. But how well and for how long? - I don't know. Better to replace it with as big of a capacitor as possible to take away some of the heat from that hot regulator.

Other than that, these are okay boards. I despise the Dell BIOS, though.

The Optiplex GX270 are past their prime in many offices here now. I saw many get listed on Craigslist for free. Who knows how many more got thrown away.

Comment

You would be amazed how many of these I still repair!!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I had to fix one for a business customer of ours only a month or two ago. He needed it to drive some older equipment. The funny part is that the manufacturer only supplies the gear he uses together with a PC (either a GX260, 270 or 280), and that's the only way drivers are available. I ended up polymodding the motherboard. I figured that if it's cooking Rubycons, then polymodding is the only way it's gonna last.

That said, however, they are well past their prime. They are way too old and underpowered to run windows 7 and with XP no longer supported, they are worth nothing. It's a rare event now that I get a motherboard to recap at all, now that most of them have moved on to polies.
          Last edited by c_hegge; 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeah mine i took the grey bezel where the dell logo sits and painted it with krylon fusion black, it looks pretty slick as for not being able to run windows 7 fast enough i must disagree with that statement as mine has the BIG 3.4Ghz NorthWood 2GB and a 74GB 10,000 RPM RAPTOR and it runs 7 just fine, aero is a bit slow but thats because the FX5200 was just barely good enough to do so, web browsing is quick youtube is okay but if you fullscreen it, its slow. now heres the funny thing. my gx280 with CedarMill 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 has a Geforce G100 which still has flash support, it accellerates youtube fullscreen no problem and i can stream most 720p content with no problems either.
            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              It's a rare event now that I get a motherboard to recap at all, now that most of them have moved on to polies.
              I don't get many repairs from individuals anymore....once in a while. I still get stacks of boards from the health care industry, banks, and corporations. Most EDU's (like individuals) have moved on now.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

working through a stack of about 25 now...
                these companies are going to keep these and xp till the applications no longer work and then some.
                hell i have one place that i maintain that has win2k on 270"s.
                i recently got a nib 270.one of my neighbors asked what i was going to do with it.
                tear it down for parts and premptivly recap the board and psu.
                worth more for parts than as a working new system!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                  working through a stack of about 25 now...
                  these companies are going to keep these and xp till the applications no longer work and then some.
                  hell i have one place that i maintain that has win2k on 270"s.
                  i recently got a nib 270.one of my neighbors asked what i was going to do with it.
                  tear it down for parts and premptivly recap the board and psu.
                  worth more for parts than as a working new system!
                  If you're ever in VA or close to DC, let me know. The IT place where I used to intern/volunteer still had a good ammount of these machines last time I checked. I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to givem them up for no more than $5/machine, if even that much. Maybe even free. My boss has been wanting to clear them for a long time now.

Comment

My gx270 is smoking, literally.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm using a gx270 that I am about to put the MB and the rest of the guts into a mini tower case from a Dementia 2400 if it will fit. I need the space for the AGP card (currently leaving case open on the gx270 which means too loud and the AGP tends to work loose) and it could benefit from using a beefier PSU as well, although the measly 120W PSU in the gx270 has been handling it ok for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                      X