X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    40GB Maxtor 6E040L0 (I was originally going to use a Samsung SP2504C 250GB SATA but that would be ridiculous)
    You may be forced to chuck the one you plan to use anyway, due to being prone to fail... I still not sure how you can keep the Maxtor Diamond Max 8 from lagging and going to a click-of-death???

It actually seems that some HDD repair businesses are elated because of that HDD series, LOL. They apparently want to sell a firmware fix for them as well...
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-16-2016, 04:24 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
      I still not sure how you can keep the Maxtor Diamond Max 8 from lagging and going to a click-of-death???
      I guess the PC it came from (a PCChips M825G/Linkworld PSU combo) didn't see a lot of use. That,or 6E040L0s don't break that easily .
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

That,or 6E040L0s don't break that easily .
        Oh, they do! Just wait for it.
        Slimline Maxtor HDDs have always been very prone to failure. I'm not sure what causes it (whether it's bad disk surface media or the heads themselves), but once they start racking up bad or pending sectors, it's only a matter of time before click of death. Funny thing is, sometimes they can take up to a year or two to die from that. Still more reliable than Toshiba 2.5" HDDs, I suppose.
        So yeah, with any luck, you may be able to get 2-3 years of use out of that HDD, or more if you only used it once in a while.
        Last edited by momaka; 11-16-2016, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Crashtor DiamondCrash drives at their best.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Slimline Maxtor HDDs have always been very prone to failure. I'm not sure what causes it (whether it's bad disk surface media or the heads themselves), but once they start racking up bad or pending sectors, it's only a matter of time before click of death. Funny thing is, sometimes they can take up to a year or two to die from that. Still more reliable than Toshiba 2.5" HDDs, I suppose.
            So yeah, with any luck, you may be able to get 2-3 years of use out of that HDD, or more if you only used it once in a while.
            Dunno. I actually did happen to come across a Maxtor 60GB drive that said SMART was bad,but after I formatted it with the original Xbox's filesystem (FATX,accesible by a special Linux disc apparently) and back to NTFS/FAT32,it worked fine.

And for the record,I actually had a bad 6E040L0 that still ran without clicking or anything.

However,what makes me believe I might get more than 2-3 years out of this is the fact that I still haven't got a bad sector out of it,and imagine most of the stuff inside it was dated 2003-2004. (even the case!)

As for the SP2504C... should I expect that to fail? It's one of those weird shaped black-coloured Samsung Spinpoints,and not the flat HD version (like my HD103SI that still holds strong.)
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

And for the record,I actually had a bad 6E040L0 that still ran without clicking or anything.
              They're apparently not good like the DiamondMax 9 series are...

I had 2 of them that failed... The second one I had the same one as what you're planning to use, started having a lag problem, I was like, "what the bleep?!" when it noticeably took longer to load the boot loader...
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-17-2016, 12:35 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Like I said, they do that, until they rack up enough bad sectors. This can happen overnight or in the course of a few years. But they *always* end up racking up bad sectors.

However,what makes me believe I might get more than 2-3 years out of this is the fact that I still haven't got a bad sector out of it,and imagine most of the stuff inside it was dated 2003-2004. (even the case!)
                Older HDDs in general are still more reliable than some modern low-end drives.
                So as long as you don't put any data on that 6E040L0 that is important, keep on using it. I have one myself (a 40 GB). Ironically, I used to use it for data backup.

As for the SP2504C... should I expect that to fail?
                I don't know, but it looks like the older PATA Spinpoints, which were excellent HDDs.

Comment

I have a laptop MSI GT80S actualy i also want to sell it him and switch to new MSI GT83VR.

My Spec's:
                  CPU: intel i7 6920HQ SkyLake
                  RAM: 32Gb DDR4 2133 MHz
                  GPU1: Nvidia GTX 980m SLI 4GB
                  GPU2: Nvidia GTX 980m SLI 4GB
                  Msata SSD: 128Gb + 128GB Raid 0
                  HDD: 1Tb
                  Blu-Ray
                  Windows 10 Home 64Bit EN

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Slimline Maxtor HDDs have always been very prone to failure. I'm not sure what causes it (whether it's bad disk surface media or the heads themselves), but once they start racking up bad or pending sectors, it's only a matter of time before click of death.
                    Actually, here's another symptom to look for:

When wiping the HDD, you see program's progress appear to stumble, you see it look jerky or skippy.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Here are the specs of my system:
                      built back in 2007 and still going strong
                      ASUS m2n-sli deluxe motherboard (recapped with all solid state caps in 2012) "59 caps all together
                      Phenom ii x4 940 processor. (before was an athlon x2 6000+)
                      COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 smps (recapped in 2015) with same diameter and height capacitors too keep the same characteristics of originals so I wont have ripple problems
                      250gb seagate hard drive and 1 terabyte hardrive
                      Lite-On Model DH-20A4P-04 dvd drive (started randomly opening and closing) weird the eject button was causing it, replaced eject button and now is ok.
                      coolermaster tx3 pushpull heatsink with delta 92mm 70cfm fans I got from broken dlp TVs
                      nvidia gtx 650ti graphics (used to be 8800gts)
                      oh and a coolermaster case centurion 5 I think
                      8 gigs of memory gskill and kingston
                      now running windows 7

Comment

My rigs:

1:

Biostar P4M900-M7 SE
                        Gainward GT210 1GB
                        2GB DDR2 (2x1GB)
                        Pentium E2180 2GHz
                        Modecom FEEL-400ATX (Deer-built,recapped with Rubycons)
                        1TB Samsung HD103SI HDD
                        HL-DT-ST GSA-H55N & GSA-4167B DVD-RW drives
                        generic Deer-built case that I took care of restoring (they're pretty cool)
                        Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
                        AVerMedia AVerTV Super 009 TV Tuner (Phillips tuner)

2:
                        Biostar MCP6P-M2
                        AMD Sempron 3400+
                        onboard GF6150SE GPU
                        Spire ATX-500W-E1-PSU (which now hosts the insides of a low to mid-end Deer with PI coils)
                        2GB DDR2 (1 stick,ADATA)
                        Western Digital WDC WD800BB-75JHA0 IDE
                        ASUS DVD-RW
                        KME CX-5768 case
                        Windows XP SP3

3:
                        MSI P4MAM-L
                        ATI Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP
                        Pentium 4 2.4GHz
                        1GB DDR400 (2x512MB PC3200,Sycron brand)
                        Premier LC-B350ATX (recapped)
                        Samsung SP0411N 40GB HDD
                        HL-DT-ST GCR-8481B CD-ROM
                        JNC RJA-8673 case (built by Deer)
                        Windows XP SP3
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Lol , whenever i see this thread title , i become cynically laughing .. I don't know how many systems i have ... As simple as that . I'm sure some systems can be found in any corners or deep in some dark closet . What i know is it is supposed to find a system in every room , for laziness purposes

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                            Lol , whenever i see this thread title , i become cynically laughing .. I don't know how many systems i have ... As simple as that . I'm sure some systems can be found in any corners or deep in some dark closet . What i know is it is supposed to find a system in every room , for laziness purposes
                            I couldn't begin to name off every system that's lurking here either....but the big one at my desk in my office is the one I depend on....most the others are test systems, retro/restorations, lab rats, or door stops.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              I couldn't begin to name off every system that's lurking here either....but the big one at my desk in my office is the one I depend on....most the others are test systems, retro/restorations, lab rats, or door stops.
                              I know the pain ... External Hards always do the trick , the usual programs , the same three most boring games in the world and copies of my projects in R language , TV shows , repair logs , political data .
                              4 GB rams is a priority and should always be there . Two have 8GB and Nvidia is a must , the rest are always for trade or sell , sometimes gifts for cousins .
                              A big central one is a dream , it need organizing the lot of chaos first of all . Maybe some day when my clients stop nagging , lol ..

Comment

Dunno. I actually did happen to come across a Maxtor 60GB drive that said SMART was bad,but after I formatted it with the original Xbox's filesystem (FATX,accesible by a special Linux disc apparently) and back to NTFS/FAT32,it worked fine.

As for the SP2504C... should I expect that to fail? It's one of those weird shaped black-coloured Samsung Spinpoints,and not the flat HD version (like my HD103SI that still holds strong.)
                                That Maxtor drive probably hasn't seen a lot of use. OTOH, I have a Western Digital EIDE drive from 1998 that has Windows 95 on it. It hadn't seen use in so long that the heads literally got stuck to the platters. Violently shook it a few times, heard a 'click' noise, powered it back up... and loaded into Windows 95 with USB 1.0/1.1 SUPPORT!!!
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

1st main rig:
                                  Intel Pentium III 733Mhz Slot One coppermine (OC to 825Mhz)
                                  Asus 133 Apollo motherboard
                                  384Mb RAM
                                  32Mb Nvidia Vanta graphics
                                  2 x 20GB HDD (Quantum Fireball)

2nd main rig:
                                  Acer OEM desktop
                                  Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz
                                  Acer 630i motherboard (manufacture by MSI) <Suicide itself due to bumpgate I guess>
                                  4Gb DDr2 ram
                                  1TB HDD
                                  Nvidia 9600GT 512Mb
                                  Stock Acer FSP PSU with 2 x 6pin

3rd main rig (rebuilt from 2nd rig):
                                  Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz
                                  Asrock 4core1600 P35 Wifi+
                                  6Gb ddr2 RAM
                                  2 x 1TB HDD
                                  Silverstone 750W PSU
                                  Nvidia GTX480 GPU
                                  High end Cooler master casing (forgot bout the model)

4th main rig (bought as junk at dirt cheap price, apparently just the HD6570 that came with it was dead):
                                  Intel Core i5 3450
                                  Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard
                                  12Gb ddr3 ram
                                  1 x 1Tb HDD, 1 x 320Gb HDD, 1 x 1TB external
                                  FSP 650W PSU
                                  Gigabyte HD6850 1Gb
                                  Gigabyte Alpha Sumo casing

HTPC rig (bought as junk as well cause 1 of the ram slot had burn mark on it, but the slot still works):
                                  Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 71
                                  Intel Core i3 2120
                                  4Gb DDr3 ram
                                  400GB HDD
                                  Nvidia GT520 1Gb

Comment

Just upgraded my PC a slight bit.

ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
                                    Pentium E5200 2.5GHz
                                    2GB DDR2-800 RAM
                                    Allied AL-A400ATX - 120mm fan (recapped w/ Chemicon KY caps and 13009 transistors)
                                    1TB Samsung HD103SI
                                    2x DVD-RW drives H-L
                                    Sapphire/AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB - yes,much to my surprise it works.
                                    AVerMedia AVerTV Super 009 TV Tuner
                                    JNC case with front RGB leds and plexiglass sidepanel with Raidmax blue LED fan
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

System I drug out of storage:

Dell Dimension 2400
                                      80GB HDD
                                      Pentium 4 2800MHz CPU
                                      HP DVD Writer dvd300i
                                      Generic FDD
                                      Stock Motherboard
                                      512MB RAM
                                      USB 2x
                                      ...and that's I all can remember...

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
                                        Pentium E5200 2.5GHz
                                        And if you change the RAM-to-FSB ratio to 1:1, then getting 3.0 Ghz is easy... IIRC...

And that's if you can't find an E8400... An E8600 is better off, with the multi at 10.0...
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                          And if you change the RAM-to-FSB ratio to 1:1, then getting 3.0 Ghz is easy... IIRC...

And that's if you can't find an E8400... An E8600 is better off, with the multi at 10.0...
                                          I think ASUS cripples down the BIOS on microATX boards. At least I can only find AI overclocking but that's about it. Also I'm on stock cooling...
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X