Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi people
    great site you have here very helpful .Used it many times for learning

Comment

Wow where to start.

Hello to all.
      My name is Mike Holdridge known as JoeSchmo62.
      I am recently retired and have and extensive background in computers, networking and electronics service and troubleshooting. This date back to the vacuum tube era to current technology. Though I have been out of the business for some time I have maintained may of my certification and added some new new ones.
      I was involved in component level repair of computers along with industrial and comsumer grade equipment through the 90's. I still have much of my original equipment used for troubleshooting and repair today. Much is outdated by todays standards but still functional.
      I ran across this form from the badcaps website while looking for some service information for an old Dell Power Supply. While it turned out not to be the power supply, the caps on the motherboard were junk, and found this kit through badcaps.com. Thank you very much bad caps. This kit made it easy to to get everything in one shot without digging through pages and pages of specs from one of my electronic component distributors.
      I look forward to reading and commenting where appropriate.

Thanks again and will talk to you all soon.

Comment

New member here, just registered today.
        Not sure what to say as my introduction other than I am retired now from the electrical industry of 40 years and now have lots of time to fool around with lots of old computer parts and see if I can have some fun attempting to repair stuff.
        Right now I'm searching for some clues on a dead Asus ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard. This one has no post, no video, no nothing. I did find one stick of bad Corsair 1Gb RAM (using MemTest) and I switched the CPU (AMD FX-60) to a A8NE-FM board I had so I know the CPU is good as well as the remaining 3 sticks of RAM plus confirmed the EVGA 7600GT video card works perfectly fine. So I'm pretty sure it's the mobo.
        I've done some prelim searching on these motherboards here and found a couple threads on bad caps.
        So I went through and tested the electrolytics with capacitance meter (Fluke 115) and found quite a few with nothing "OL". Many read good though. It also appears as if the the 6 silver caps around the socket give no reading.
        I would like to see if I can resurrect this board as I bought it originally back when they were new on the market and I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU I could test with it...
        SO....I',m looking for any suggestions, info guidance and happy to be here...I think I will go now and do more searching around here and gather more knowledge...

Comment

Hey I have a LG tv!

Comment

Hi. I was directed to come say hi before I posted elsewhere. So, here I am lol.

Comment

Hello everybody!
              Obligatory first post.

I am DIYDS (do it yo' damn self!) techie and don't like having to pay other to fix my stuff.
              Found badcaps thanks to google, and decided to register after my hours of searching and troubleshooting bore no fruit... but I'll save that for another thread.

Comment

Hi guys. My name is Terry and I have been interested in electronics for most of my life. Just tinkering here and there. I have found information on the forum to be extremely useful.

Comment

Hi to all - Great site here and like the info on fixing Samsung's crappy caps.

Comment

Hi all, sitting here on thanksgiving trying to figure out why my Samsung 50" plasma keeps blowing caps. This looks like an informative site and hopefully with any luck I won't need to refer to it too often. However I look forward to the help and eventual (if possible repair of this tv and maybe some other projects that pop up in the future. Thank you in advance for any and all who help!

Comment

Hello.

Comment

Gud day to all of you, im raiyan frm manila. im looking for help that's why i got here...amm about me, im a trying hard, hardheaded try to fix all person. Id Like to dissect things. I learned only thru xperience, 15years and still counting. Its a habit now to me. Sömetimes its very hard but the feeling of every accomplishement makes me lo0k for m0re. But im still a n0vice considering i dont have any formal training specially in reading diagrams, boards, circuitry and so on...but now i have this board problem and a new learning experience after So please HELP me huhu. calling for good aliens out there pls talk to me :P Ty

Comment

Hi all! I'm a retired PVC Lab Tech / IT Developer / DG Regulatory compliance guy who has been taking things apart and fixing things as long as I can remember. I have a particular issue that brought me to this forum and hope I can learn and possibly help!

- Bob

Comment

greetings from barbados

Comment

hi

Comment

hello thanks for the welcome to the forum.

i am sort of retired, i still work for the OU as a lecturer & a study support tutor. i have a rather a passion for psus - i seem to have rather more than a few I have built! it was a search for atx mods which led me to this site.

I am looking forward to having access to your expertise as i am a real tyro with smps.
                                julian

Comment

Hi everybody, just dropping a quick hello. I am a Computer Science student that wants also get some experience on the hardware side of things. I heard this is the site for that.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Comment

Hi, teaching myself basic electronics trying to fix my monitor. Looking for some suggestions.

Comment

my name is virgil I am an electronics tech, x navy data system tech, and I am a instrumentation tech, and an industrial electrician

Comment

from my first post I hit enter thinking it would go to next line, but it posted. these post of my experience I quit being a electronics tech 20 year's ago do to low amounts of pay so I seeked out higher relative paying jobs such as instrumentation tech and industrial electrician. but still touching on electronics some times,

so I am a little rusty at component level however still remember my electronics theory I am retired now looking for a hobby in electronics

Comment

former Navy electronics tech that just doesn't want to spend $600 to replace a TV every couple years when it can just be fixed most times. found this forum while searching for some info on my current TV.

Comment

Working...
                                          X