gateway essex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gateway essex

ok i need a second opinion on this dose this look like this cap is bad my computer was fine untell it randomly properly shut its self down this morning and now it wont torn on its intermittently restarts

all this falling a event where it was like a strobe light in my room last night of power during a rain shower like 10 seconds of power flashing like a strobe light but the computer was fine up tell now

i was able to get too the bios for like a minute before it went out and started this

the only thing i did not take out in the cpu and i do have the old one still

its cap in the first 3 pics and the last 3 pics next to the plates . sorry about the flash interfering
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rickybennett; 09-04-2012, 12:59 PM. Reason: uploaded 3 more better pics

Re: gateway essex

will at 5pm with nothing but the cpu and the 2 1gig ram sticks in it booted to the bios then went back out and started the intermediate maybe the power supply ??

ps sorry for double post cant find edit button lol

Comment

Looks like evercon, in a mix of ruby's and nichicons!

Yep, its bulging, but I'd be surprised if it's the culprit.

Yes, try opening the PSU. What brand is it?
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Cap does look slightly bulged as you say check the ones in the power supply.
        Have you tried cleaning the ram sticks does it work with just one? try changing them over.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

That cap looks bloated, but it could be angle/flash.

Check your power supply for bloated caps.

edit: Late to the party again.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

i did check the power supply i did not see nothing out of the ordinary i ordered a cheap power supply tester though off eBay

i swapped both around and got nothing but the same intermittently restarts

did get in to the bios for like 1or 2 min before the intermittently restarts started again that was with both sticks of ram in it and my 3.06ghzHT cpu all was being detected at that point

the power supply is a liteon mode#.ps-5161-2g output 160w min it diffidently needs a upgrade ether way

i never changed a power supply before so if i need a new how about some recommendations

oh and btw that cap is a 25v 100uf if you cant tell
            Last edited by rickybennett; 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

In another thread someone did suggest a complete power down. You switch it off as normal then unplug EVERY external cable then hold in the power on button for 30-60 seconds.
              Then plug it back in and restart. I dont think it worked in that particular case but has to be worth a try.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Also in that last picture there is a voltage regulator ( may even be connected to that bad looking cap) Perhaps you can test it?

See retiredcaps guide
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=261329

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                  Also in that last picture there is a voltage regulator ( may even be connected to that bad looking cap) Perhaps you can test it?

See retiredcaps guide
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=261329
                  i don't quiet understand them instructions

is there by chances a video any where that would be help full

Comment

ok so the power supply appear to be ok all the lights on the power supply tester lit up and when i hooked the mother board back up to the power supply and turned it or it booted up to windows and stayed on and i was able to do test with pc doctor which also passed all tests

but i do need to replace that cap which i know was never like before that night

its a 25v 100uf cap what do you all recommend for a computer motherboard last time i did this was on my lcd hd tv

Comment

Working...
                    X