Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell SX280 "Phrizbee" MOBO Recap?

Hello All,

I was given a few Dell SX280 sff computers with bulging capacitors. I removed one of the bulged caps. It was of course way out of tolerance for its uf. After I removed the bad cap I noticed that there was a solder pad on top of the board and on the bottom of the pcb. I have never worked on a circuit board with a pad on the top and bottom of the pcb. Heres my question. Do I solder in a new cap just with rosin core 60/40 solder, or do I have to apply a liquid flux also? On the top or bottom of the pcb? Will the solder adhere to both pads correctly just with solder? I have some Kestor #951 no-clean flux pens. I never have done any repair work on a computer motherboard before just one sided inverter boards to lcd monitors. Any friendly advice would be appreciated!

Have A Good Day
    Lcdman

Re: Dell SX280 "Phrizbee" MOBO Recap?

you mean like these?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...NI-SM-/31-8210

you can just take an electrolytic, and bend the leads out, cut them short, and solder each one to the pad, no flux required, but I always like flux. keep in mind dells are mostly marked on the positive side, so put them in right
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hello Uranium-235 and All,

No. Electrolytic Rubycon,Nichicon,UCC. So I can use the Kestor no-clean flux pen, but it won't hinder anything electronically? I normally just use isopropyl alcohol to tidy up any if any residue that might be left behind on other projects.
      I will get started on these boards then.

Thanks Again
      Lcdman

Comment

Hello Again,

I have some what I believe are 1500uf Polymer capacitors? They measure between 1630uf and 1650uf. I don't know anything about this type of capacitor as in tolerance? I think that they might be maybe 20%? I'm enclosing a picture of the top of one of these capacitors. Maybe one of the fellas or gals has this information? I appreciate any help or direction on what they should be as far as uf/tolerance! Also cap related, they're 100uf/16v UCC where 22uf/16v Nichicon electrolytic capacitors are located on another Dell SX280 that actually works. Is this a common practice that Dell or whomever refurbished these boards on their behalf to do? I only ask based on my limited knowledge of increasing the working voltage of a electrolytic capacitor on a LCD inverter board or anything else using electrolytic capacitors. But not normally the capacitance, correct?

Have A Great Evening
        Lcdman
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lcdman; 07-16-2011, 09:08 PM. Reason: forgot picture

Comment

Most caps you run into will be +/-20% for the uF.

Sounds like someone screwed up a recap.
          Many of those got factory recapped under warranty because they got built with the defective HM and HN originally.
          Many get recapped 'where ever' since because heat kills the caps.

The one in the photo is a Sanyo Oscon SEPC series.
          Attached Files
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Hello PCBONEZ & All,

So am I understanding correctly, 1630-1650uf is within specs then? Also I replaced all of the 100uf/16v UCC with the correct 22uf but with 50v working voltage FC pannies that I sourced locally. Thats the only wv they stocked that was any good. By that it wasn't a off brand or on the crap cap list. I just hope to get these few up and running again.

Thanks Again
            Lcdman

Comment

1500uF x 1.20 = 1800uF
              1500uF x 0.80 = 1200uF
              1500uF +/-20% = 1200-1800 uF

Incidentally, standard cap values are very close to 20% steps.
              That's deliberate by the industry.

If you ever have to fudge a uF value due to availability of the correct uF then fail up one standard value to a higher uF.
              The uF goes down as caps age so over time the uF will be getting closer to the uF of the original.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Hello PCBONEZ,

Thank you for all of your guidance and the information. I do appreciate it.

Have A Great Sunday
                Lcdman

Comment

Originally posted by lcdman View Post
                  Hello Again,

I have some what I believe are 1500uf Polymer capacitors? They measure between 1630uf and 1650uf. I don't know anything about this type of capacitor as in tolerance? I think that they might be maybe 20%? I'm enclosing a picture of the top of one of these capacitors. Maybe one of the fellas or gals has this information? I appreciate any help or direction on what they should be as far as uf/tolerance! Also cap related, they're 100uf/16v UCC where 22uf/16v Nichicon electrolytic capacitors are located on another Dell SX280 that actually works. Is this a common practice that Dell or whomever refurbished these boards on their behalf to do? I only ask based on my limited knowledge of increasing the working voltage of a electrolytic capacitor on a LCD inverter board or anything else using electrolytic capacitors. But not normally the capacitance, correct?

Have A Great Evening
                  Lcdman

All of the boards we got back from Dell had those Sepc's in place of the 6.3v 2200uFs under the HD. Did yours also have a small white string on one corner?

Comment

Hello And Welcome Aboard TCKTMB,

Are you mistaking 2200/6.3v polymer (SEPC) for the 1500/6.3v polymer (SEPC) ? And no string.

Take Care
                    Lcdman

Comment

Originally posted by lcdman View Post
                      Hello And Welcome Aboard TCKTMB,

Are you mistaking 2200/6.3v polymer (SEPC) for the 1500/6.3v polymer (SEPC) ? And no string.

Take Care
                      Lcdman
                      SEPCs don't come in 6.3v 2200uF, the refurbs I have seen had 6.3v 1500uF SEPC in place of 6.3v 2200uF wet caps. I can't remember what they used for the 16v 1500uFs, I'll take a look at the next one I come across. The refurb boards usually lasted another 3 years, less than the ones I recaped with MCZ.

Comment

Finally got around to snapping a pic of a Dell recapped board, here is a 6v 1500uF SEPC in place of a 6.3v 2200uF wet cap on a SX280.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dell didn't replace all of the 6.3v 2200uFs with polies or the 16v 1500uFs on this one. Came back for 2nd failure of those caps they skipped. Probably didn't help that the machine had all of the vents jammed 100% with dust.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TCKTMB View Post

Dell didn't replace all of the 6.3v 2200uFs with polies or the 16v 1500uFs on this one. Came back for 2nd failure of those caps they skipped. Probably didn't help that the machine had all of the vents jammed 100% with dust.
                            hence why when in doubt, recap it yourself. then you KNOW what was and wasn't replaced.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              hence why when in doubt, recap it yourself. then you KNOW what was and wasn't replaced.

In our corporate environment if the machine is still under warranty we can't recap them. We have platinum Dell support so they send a tech out the next day to swap the board with a refurb. Machines that are out of warranty we put a loaner in place and swap the drives, we recap the machine and add it to our spare pile.

Comment

Hello All,

I just got some free time on my bench to get back to one of these "Dell Phrizbee" mobos. I did some looking on the bcn store site for polymer cap kits. I've heard that they might prolong the board before it would have to be recapped again or even not have to be done again if I were to invest in them?

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=98

I'm still learning so please be patient. Why aren't there the exact same on the quantities for each value cap? And why are the values not the same? The board I have while I'm typing this has (10) 1800uf/6.3v. (5) 2200uf/6.3. There are (3) 1500uf/6.3 polymers already on my board so am I correct in assuming that this board has already been redone thru Dell? It also has (2) 220uf/16v UCC KZH in the place where on another board that I have has Nichicon 150uf/6.3v in C302 and a unknown brand 100uf/16v in C1559? Any ideas or kind suggestions on any of these things?

Take Care,
                                lcdman

Comment

Someone replaced 3x 2200uF with 1500uF poly.
                                  No telling if it was Dell or someone else.
                                  Off the top of my head the 220uF and 100uF 16v are probably the correct values.
                                  - I'm not in the shop, it's "O"-Dark-"30" here and I'm on my first cupp'a coffee so take that with a grain of salt.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Hello All Yet Again,

Does anyone have a schematic or better yet a capacitor list for this entire board? Also what about the difference in value between the "poly" caps and electrolytic caps? Can someone explain why they're not the same? Are there better brands to use as with the electrolytic capacitors?

Have A Great Rest Of Your Weekend,
                                    lcdman

Comment

**Dell SX280 "Phrizbee" MOBO Recap?**

Hello All Again,

Does anyone have a schematic or better yet a capacitor list for this entire board? Also what about the difference in value between the "poly" caps and electrolytic caps? Can someone explain why they're not the same? Are there better brands to use as with the electrolytic capacitors?
                                      There has to be someone on this site that has a unmolested "original Dell" that could give me the values of as many capacitors they care to list!

Thanks In Advance,
                                      lcdman
                                      Last edited by lcdman; 10-17-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Like this?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X