X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's See What You Got!

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    I live in Fairfax too the other Fairfax
    Yeah, I always find it kind of funny when I see your location is Fairfax.

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    I'll take a pic of my workbench/desk when it's clean right now it's embarrasing!
    A messy bench is a good bench - means you're using it. If it's too clean, then you know it's all show and no go .

Originally posted by ELItheICEman
    Noteworthy features: the fan, soldering iron, glue gun, etc. are controlled from the 386 laptop on the shelf (using Qbasic) the bigger shelf has a 24v power supply and an ATX power supply that are also controlled from the laptop.
    That is pretty cool.

Comment

I really need to set up a bona fide workbench... right now I just have a mess everywhere, sticking equipment wherever there's space... not pleasant reaching for tools, etc.

Not to mention my workspace tends to be my lap or floor when working with high voltage... Not OSHA compliant at all! Just not enough table space...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        Not to mention my workspace tends to be my lap or floor when working with high voltage... Not OSHA compliant at all! Just not enough table space...
        I always work on the soft carpet floor in my room and regularly solder in my lap. As a result, my back hurts a lot less than when sitting in front of a bench. The only thing that hurts sometimes is my hips, usually after 3 to 4+ hours of sitting. Just snap them at the end of the day, though, and all is good again. Back pain can be a bitch, so I do try to avoid it.

Comment

The problem of working on your lap is that going to reach for tools means having to set the workpiece aside... annoying. I really need to get some real workspace ...

Comment

^ Hasn't happened to me. Then again, I have a mini bench table I built myself that usually has all of the tools I need on it so everything is just an arm's length away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              regularly solder in my lap.
              Too close for comfort for me. I value my crown jewels a bit more.

I do all my soldering on the kitchen floor. Someday, I will have a "proper" work area.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

I do all my soldering on the kitchen floor. Someday, I will have a "proper" work area.
                I do soldering on my workbench. Actually, its always got stuff piled ontop, so, I'm soldering stuff ontop of stuff xD

I have never burned my balls with solder , but I do have a scar on my leg from a splotch of solder that fell. Now, I always make sure that my legs aren't under what I am soldering. (That burn hurt like heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllll!)
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  Lol.
                  You need to get the balls of steel

Originally posted by ben7
                  I do soldering on my workbench. Actually, its always got stuff piled ontop, so, I'm soldering stuff ontop of stuff xD
                  That's one of the things I always try to avoid. Even when I'm careful, I still happen to drop solder whiskers every now and then.

Originally posted by ben7
                  but I do have a scar on my leg from a splotch of solder that fell.
                  Ouch. I think I have been lucky way too many times now. I must have dropped hot MOSFETs and coils on my lap at least 10 times now. Luckily, each of these times, I was wearing long pants and didn't get burned.

Also, one time I was removing a big audio connector from a motherboard in. Instead of using hot air or similar, I took a bunch of leftover balls of solder and clumped them together into 1 big ball, then used that to cover almost all of the pins on the audio connector to remove it. As soon as I pulled the audio connector away from the board, the hot solder fell thought the holes as well. Luckily (again) I was working on a bench and I didn't have my feet under the motherboard. If I did, I would have gotten burned with a lot of solder. The big solder ball I was melting was about 1-2 cm in diameter - a lot of solder, basically. When that thing splat on the ground, it made a nice sheet of flat solder about 4 cm^2.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter9DO View Post
                    So, I figured we all are wired to the same tune! I take great pride in my work station and bench. I know it's not the most impressive but it's mine and I love it! So, I figured, you guys feel the same about your bench and work space so, LETS SEE IT!!!!!! Take a look at what I'm working with! Can't wait to see what you guys are rocking out with! (it's a little dusty...lol!).

Please don't take this posting as me bragging about what I have. I'm very humble and I don't think my workspace is anything to write home about. But I learned a lot about setting up my work area by seeing other peoples shops and asking questions. I think posting your work space would be great to a beginner to open up conversation as to why, what and how you set up your shop the way you did. Also, all of us geeks appreciate this kind of stuff!

These pictures are of my home office, I also have a warehouse that I store a lot of the bigger items. As you can tell from the pictures, it's not a very big room so a warehouse was important for me to obtain. Especially when it's a friend of the families and is willing to let me use it for free! lol!
                    I have only been repairing monitors for a year my shop isn't as elaborate as most of you but I like my shop
                    Attached Files

Comment

The first 3 photos is where I fix devices.i don't do many repairs lately just the odd bit of equipment that's why most of the gear is in the cupboards.the second 3 photos is the room where I fry electronic devices lol.cheers darren.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by blownvp; 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM. Reason: add photos

Comment

After the fire department gave me two, three tickets then I worked hard to clean up, this is my best result. I think I need to go to a neurological hospital for treatment. Can somebody please help me?

But I am not the worst. Once I went to an elegant lady's house repair TV. Her house is full of garbage, I'd to walk on 1 inch deep papers, bags on the floor. When she spoke to jaw drops me, she didn't feel anything wrong. Her attitude and appearance are still so generous and noble.

I think I got a friend.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by capwizard; 03-04-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Well I was supposed to put up a couple of pics of the workshop, and I really did mean to tidy, but last year was not a good tidying year and this year looks no better lmao.

Comment

Working...
                          X