Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys WAG160N not connecting

Hi Everyone,

I've scored a Linksys WAG160N router/modem combination for a mere $2. Was sold AS-IS. So I decided to power it up and it was pretty reluctant to power up... at first I thought the power supply was dead but it still read 12V... plugged it back in and the power light dimly flickered and after about a minute or two it came to life.
    Plugged ethernet cable in and Windows says it's connected with an IP address and all.

Tried to access the configuration program through my web browser and it was a no-go... "webpage not found". Pressed the reset button on the rear of the unit and same thing.

So being the technician that I am, I cracked it open and nearly all the caps are bad. Two Teapo 470uf 25V are bulging, a smaller 100uf 25V and two 470uf 6.3V also bulging at the top.

Do you guys reckon I should recap the thing and it will "work" again or should I scrap it and put my time into other things over the summer break?

EDIT: If recapping, would I use low ESR caps or just GP (general purpose) caps? Caps in there say "TEAPO SY 105C"

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 12-06-2013, 10:27 PM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Linksys WAG160N not connecting

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've scored a Linksys WAG160N router/modem combination for a mere $2. Was sold AS-IS. So I decided to power it up and it was pretty reluctant to power up... at first I thought the power supply was dead but it still read 12V... plugged it back in and the power light dimly flickered and after about a minute or two it came to life.
    Plugged ethernet cable in and Windows says it's connected with an IP address and all.

Tried to access the configuration program through my web browser and it was a no-go... "webpage not found". Pressed the reset button on the rear of the unit and same thing.

So being the technician that I am, I cracked it open and nearly all the caps are bad. Two Teapo 470uf 25V are bulging, a smaller 100uf 25V and two 470uf 6.3V also bulging at the top.

Do you guys reckon I should recap the thing and it will "work" again or should I scrap it and put my time into other things over the summer break?

EDIT: If recapping, would I use low ESR caps or just GP (general purpose) caps? Caps in there say "TEAPO SY 105C"

Thanks.
    Low ESR most definitely!
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
    X