Linksys Gigabit POE Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys Gigabit POE Switches

A while ago I posted about taking a risk and purchasing some bad switches from a shady recycling company.
    2 of the switches are Linksys SRW2008MP 8 port Gigabit POE switches.

Yes they're Linksys which I hate, but these puppies aren't cheap.
    They came with no power supply which I knew ahead of time, but I didn't know they needed 48VDC at 3.1A (I should have known, they ARE POE...)
    I'm guessing the original power adapters were crap quality.

I finally got around to testing them, one works but has a noisy fan, the other will power a POE device but has no network activity.

I purchased a couple of relatively decent quality, not too expensice TDK Lambda 48V 3.3 A power supplies.

Anyway, finally cracked open the bad one (a bit of a mystery, but finally figured it out) and looky looky, bloated caps! Might just be repairable!

Will update once I've re-capped.

P.S. Anyone seen these "Stone" caps before?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smason; 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Linksys Gigabit POE Switches

Yep, those Stone caps suck... whoever decided to use them was stoned...

Comment

I have a Linksys/Cisco SRW2048 that I bought from goodwill for $20, indeed 22 bad 'stone' caps. Stone seems to be what Linksys uses in most of their business equipment. I replaced them all with rubycons and the switch worked fine (was freezing before that)
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Ahh yes, have a Srw2008 that I recapped and it is still going strong.

The webgui is a disaster on these boxes, Cisco advised that you use a Explorer plugin for Firefox to use the webgui, I think the srw only was IE6 compatible.

http://www.mork.no/~bjorn/srw2008/
        http://davehall.com.au/blog/dave/200...-webgui-broken

Comment

D-Link also uses (or used) Stone caps. My DI-614+ had Stone caps, though none were bad. I've seen the used in a Magnavox TV before too - almost all were bloated.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
            A while ago I posted about taking a risk and purchasing some bad switches from a shady recycling company.
            Send me a PM and name the company.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Update:
              Recapped the dead one, and it's still dead.
              Opened the working one, and the caps were worse than the dead one

Recapped the working one, and stole the fan from the dead one. Man, I think these were the most difficult board for desoldering caps I've ever encountered.
              I thought for sure I was going to damage the board trying to clear the holes.

The dead one will power a POE device, but is otherwise dead. Some initial tests, the 48V is live to the POE module, but 12v 2.5v and 1.2v are missing.(2.5 and 1.2 are labelled on test points)

No obvious faults, no fuses that I can see, and most of the low or 0 ohm resistors that might be used as a fuse seem good.
              Will try to get some photos tomorrow, and will look up pinouts of some components and check them. Hopefully it's a bad SMD FET or something available.
              Last edited by smason; 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM. Reason: tpyos
              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Working...
              X