Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips LCD 42PFL5432D/37 no picture, no sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips LCD 42PFL5432D/37 no picture, no sound.

This tv came on for a few seconds then went black. It came back on and went off 3 times for a few seconds but now there is nothing...no sound from the speakers and no picture. The light is green.....not blinking. There is a chirping noise from the back of the tv about every half second or so. Sounds like a baby bird chirping.
    Any ideas what went south on this thing?
    thanks
    sytamra

Re: Philips LCD 42PFL5432D/37 no picture, no sound.

Originally posted by sytamra View Post
    This tv came on for a few seconds then went black. It came back on and went off 3 times for a few seconds but now there is nothing...no sound from the speakers and no picture. The light is green.....not blinking. There is a chirping noise from the back of the tv about every half second or so. Sounds like a baby bird chirping.
    Any ideas what went south on this thing?
    thanks
    sytamra
    The chirping sounds like a SMPS trying to start. Cause could be bad caps or a short on the output. At this point I usually suggest opening the TV up taking pictures, and attaching them to your next post using 'Manage Attachments', which is below the text entry area.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'll have to find a place to take the back off and send some pics. Anything in particular I should look for?
      Thanks
      sytamra

Comment

Originally posted by sytamra View Post
        I'll have to find a place to take the back off and send some pics. Anything in particular I should look for?
        Thanks
        sytamra
        Bulging caps, burnt parts, anything abnormal. The pictures are so WE can see if anything look obviously (or subtly) wrong. Your initial question indicated you don't have much experience troubleshooting electronics. That's not an unusual situation.

To use a horrible analogy, if we are going to lead you by the hand, it will be necessary we know where the path is.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I understand. I'm no electronics genius........just trying to save $700 or more on a new TV. That's why I'm here.
          Seems like we have grown into a "throw away" society. I'll take it apart and get some pictures. Thanks for the help.
          sytamra

Comment

Here are 2 pics of the guts. The first one shows 3 caps in the top right. 2 are puffed and one has vented. The second one shows 3 puffed caps.
            Hope this helps.
            Thanks
            sytamra
            Attached Files

Comment

Those are most likely the cause of your problem then and are definitely a good place to start...

You'll need a soldering iron, solder sucker and rosin-core solder. Purchase low ESR caps (Radioshack does not sell these).

Here's a FAQ on which caps to buy:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Digikey or Mouser are great places to find the caps you need. If you look at the caps on your main board and power supply, you will see they have both a capacitance (uf) and a voltage rating (V). You must match the capacitance exactly. The replacement caps can be rated for a higher voltage, but beware of physical dimension differences (e.g. higher voltage often means a larger cap and it might not fit in the previous cap's footprint).

There are many videos on youtube about how to solder properly. Watch a few of those until you feel comfortable with the basics. Might not be a bad idea to practice on a junk board if you have one.

Since caps are relatively cheap and it's likely that the vented/puffed caps have caused additional stress to other caps, it's generally recommended you replace all the caps on the power supply and main board (except for the large black filter capacitor on the power supply). This takes additional time upfront, but it will reduce the chances of you having to take the tv apart again for the same problem.

Comment

Thanks. I need 3 1500uF 35v, 1 2200uF 16v, and 31000uF 25v capacitors for this thing, but I don't see them in stock on this site. Where is a good place to get them?
                Thanks
                sytamra
                (the 1500uF 35v is what I can't find)
                Last edited by sytamra; 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM. Reason: brain fade

Comment

Digikey has them:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10308-ND
                  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11243-ND

Be sure to check the dimensions and make sure they match up or are close if you have some wiggle room.

Comment

Hello All,

I have the same tv 42PFL5432D/37 that just makes a chirpping sound. i've replaced the 4 caps (3 1500uF 35v, 1 2200uF 16v), on the PSB, but it still does the thing, chirps like a little bird...

Comment

Originally posted by dryansr View Post
                      chirps like a little bird...
                      See PlainBill's post #2. Please use the manage attachments button to attach clear focused pictures of your boards.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                        See PlainBill's post #2. Please use the manage attachments button to attach clear focused pictures of your boards.
                        Retiredcaps, Here are some pix of the PSB.
                        Attached Files

Comment

someone has already recapped the power supply on that thing. Uhoh.

you might want to verify that the caps are the proper uf.

believe the original caps on the power supply should be:

3 grouped togther= are supposed to be 1500uf/35v,

the other one one by the power output connector should be 2200uf/15v

when i capped mine i didnt have exact ones but they were closer than that.

a higher voltasge rating is usually ok but the farads needs to be pretty close or dead on. ALso might want to make sure these caps are rated to 150 degrees celsius or some krap like that.

The blown caps ont he mainboard tells me that that board saw poorly filtered voltage for a very long time. Recap it all, but you have more headaches than i did when i fixed mine.
                          Last edited by cadillacman; 05-07-2011, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I have a philips 42pfl5432d/37 orange light comes on but no picture or sound no green light the power board has no visible burns. no buldging or vented capacitors the removeable fuse has continuity what would be the next step?

Comment

Originally posted by dwight 1979 View Post
                              I have a philips 42pfl5432d/37 orange light comes on but no picture or sound no green light the power board has no visible burns. no buldging or vented capacitors the removeable fuse has continuity what would be the next step?
                              Check the voltages out of the power supply. This is a standard Standby / Main supply on a single board. If the main board doesn't try to turn on the main power supply you troubleshoot the main board. If it does, you troubleshoot the power supply.

PlainBill

Comment

IM HAVING difficulty pin pointing power wires[red or white] or posts near a transformer or capacitor ?and what would be the expected voltage out put ready to expect? thanks ps. my power board looks exactly like the others picturede above

Comment

Originally posted by dwight 1979 View Post
                                  IM HAVING difficulty pin pointing power wires[red or white] or posts near a transformer or capacitor ?and what would be the expected voltage out put ready to expect? thanks ps. my power board looks exactly like the others picturede above
                                  Dwight, there are a number of sources of frustration when trying to help someone.

One is a shortage of information (You did fairly well in your first post).

Another is someone who uses non-standard English, or types like they were using Twitter.

A third is a lack of good pictures. Of those already provided, only one is somewhat useful; and that one is poorly focused.

The last one I'm going to mention is those %#^Y$^$#%!! manufacturers who don't label connector pinouts. Philips is usually pretty good; they seem to have dropped the ball on this one.

The service manual is available here.

Note the links in my signature. If you would take good pictures showing the following items it would help immensely. Make these pictures as close to 2000 x 2000 pixels as possible. If you don't have a good utility for resizing, I recommend Vueprint Pro. It's small, it's easy to use, and it's free.

1. An over-all shot of the TV with the back cover removed. This allows us to see the interconnection between the boards.

2. A picture of the power supply similar to the 4th picture in post # 12, but with sharp focus. This allows us to say "IC201", not "That black blob about 5 cm from the right side."

3. A picture of the back side of the power supply. For this one, flip the power supply left to right, this makes it easiest to compare points on the top and bottom of the board. (Sometimes they put legends identifying connector pins on the bottom of the board.)

Lastly, if you would update your profile to indicate you location, it allows us to make meaningful suggestions for sources of components.

PlainBill

Comment

I have a Philips LCD. Green LED power on lights up, NO picture, constant Chirping noise is only sound.
                                    After reviewing most the posts on this model, I'm wanting to replace bad capacitors in hopes of a fix.
                                    I have the service manual (thanks to those posting that), but am a beginner with electronics.
                                    Attached 3 photo's. Sorry for quality is the best I can do for now.
                                    Photo 1: is Power Board 715T2432-2. I see 4 bulged caps.
                                    C 951, C952, C953. All 3 are 1500uf 35 V (GF)
                                    C955, Is a 2200 uf 16 V (GF).
                                    Photo 2: is close up of darker area on the Power Board. ZD 904 & ZD 902. Is this normal? There is no discoloration on the backside of board.
                                    Photo 3: is Scaler Board DLH 715T2303-2. I see 5 bulged caps.
                                    C113 is a 220uf 25V (LZ) . C131 is 470 uf 25V (KF). C812 is 1000 uf 25V (LZ). C807 is 1000 uf 25V (LZ). C218 is 1000uf 25V (LZ)
                                    ---Those are the ones I'm certain need replacing. Am I overlooking something else that's obvious?
                                    Can someone with experience ordering compatible replacement capacitors in this model, please advise.
                                    I'd like to order all replacement parts thru same company (Digikey?) if possible, not sure of good brand part #'s/dimensions.
                                    Thanks for taking a look!
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RCleve View Post
                                      Can someone with experience ordering compatible replacement capacitors in this model, please advise.
                                      1) You want to replace ALL the electrolytic caps on the board especially if they are poor reliability brands like Capxon. The exception would be the largest filter cap which rarely, but not never, fails.

Capacitors (C designation on the PCB board) die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

Most members here will recommend that you replace ALL capacitors with reputable brands from reputable sellers. Brands like Rubycon, Panasonic, Nichicon, and United Chemicon are suggested. A list of recommended caps can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

2) Assuming those are Capxon GF series, you want to replace the caps with the following critera:

a) uF - same uF
                                      b) V - same voltage
                                      c) ripple - same or more ripple
                                      d) ESR - same or lower ESR
                                      e) size - you want to make sure the cap fits diameter and height wise

3) The Capxon GF datasheet is at

Look for 1500uF 35V. Assuming the original is 13x35mm, then the ripple is 3350 ma and ESR is 18 mOhm.

4) Now compare that to Panasonic FR series at

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...447-ND/2433581

Caxpon GF, 1500uF 35V, 13x35mm, ripple = 3350 ma, ESR = 18 mOhm
                                      Panasonic FR, 1500uF 35V, 12.5x30mm, ripple = 3630 ma, ESR = 13 mOhm

5) You can see Panasonic FR is a good match compared to Capxon GF as it has the same or more ripple and the same or lower ESR.

6) Now repeat for all the other caps. You can quickly search in digikey by specifying this in the search field

1500uf 35v fr

7) If "FR" is not in stock or available in those parameters, try FM, then FC (in that order).

Just for fun, here is Panasonic FM

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...35v+fm&x=0&y=0

Caxpon GF, 1500uF 35V, 13x35mm, ripple = 3350 ma, ESR = 18 mOhm
                                      Panasonic FM, 1500uF 35V, 12.5x35mm, ripple = 3750 ma, ESR = 12 mOhm
                                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-28-2011, 03:57 PM.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

@ 'retiredcaps':

Thanks for sharing your knowledge & detailed explanations, very helpful!
                                        Am using the Philips Service Manual to reference Cap #'s, and cross comparing with Capxon, Elite, and Lelon data sheets & series to find each caps parameter. Will go ahead and aim to replace all caps (30 total). Is taking me awhile to get it all sorted, but good to be put on the right track!

Comment

Working...
                                        X