Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best "Bang for the Buck" Fluke DMM

Greetings all -

Now that I am done school, it's time to get my own DMM - can't use their stuff anymore.

I'm used to using Fluke at school (forget which model number), and I know they can get pricey quick. I'm looking for the best "bang for the buck" one in terms of being able to do resistance, capacitance, etc. for all around electronics repair. I don't need a benchtop one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    VV5

Re: Best "Bang for the Buck" Fluke DMM

for electronics work your limited and it's going to be expensive,
    most fluke meters are aimed at electricians and such.

you may want to look at the other brands.
    low end - uni-trend
    mid-end - brymen
    high-end - hioki, keysite etc.

i own 5 multimeters btw, dont expect to only need one.

Comment

I use the Fluke 117 as my primary and the Extech EX520 as my back up. They both are not that expensive and they work real well for me.

Comment

A budget would help us help you. Also, buying used, could yield good bargains if you know what to look for.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by VictorVictor5 View Post
          Greetings all -

Now that I am done school, it's time to get my own DMM - can't use their stuff anymore.

I'm used to using Fluke at school (forget which model number), and I know they can get pricey quick. I'm looking for the best "bang for the buck" one in terms of being able to do resistance, capacitance, etc. for all around electronics repair. I don't need a benchtop one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
          VV5
          What will your main use for this meter do you need to see your results remotely
          This will determine what meter would more useful

Here is the reason I bring this up

I work on overhead cranes and sometimes I need to run the crane on the ground and watch the current or the voltage also on the ground

Fluke 3000
          Fluke 902FC

Fluke has a Bluetooth function that lets you see your meter reading up 10 meters away from the meters it works very well ( but you have to give it some time to connect to the software once it connects it works very well until you close the —>Apple Application this is only version I have used )

( one note if you need this type of meter with this function I would not recommend any other brand than a Fluke)

So it depends on what you need to use it for

I need this type of meter for troubleshooting equipment that is very hard to see the meter results

I do not use this as an every meter I only use when I need see the meter results remotely

Now if you do not need this type of meter then are some good meters out there

MASTECH MS8261 ( I have used a Mastech meter before but not this model )

Fieldpiece LT83A ( I have an older model than this one which is no longer available )

Sears also has some good meter as well but you need to look at the meters that are over $50.00
          There meters are very rugged and can take some abuse and still keep working

( one note do not be tempted to buy there meters that have the Bluetooth function meters the software DOES NOT work with Apple app or does the Android app —>

I return the meter because I could not get it to work )

I have a few of the Radio Shack meter which works very well but I do not find that they are as rugged as some other meter are as far as dropping them is concerned

I hope this helps
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-16-2018, 11:31 AM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I suggest doing a little planning before pricing models:

* What features do you need?

* What features do you want that are not essential, but you would use fairly often if you had them?

* What accuracy do you need? The basic accuracy for DC volts for a Fluke 287 is .025%, really nice. But do you need that kind of accuracy when the price is around $400? A .05% or .1% DMM will cost much less, and .1% error in measuring 12V is just 12mV.

Though not extensive, I've had good experience with Extech meters, similar features and accuracy, less pricey than Fluke (I've been using Fluke meters for nearly 40 years, so I have nothing against them).
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
            X