Computer Network Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Network Question

I run a fairly sophisticated (if I do say so myself.. And I do! ) computer network at my work...

My main workstation has 3 Ethernet ports and allows me to access main workstations on all 3 networks I created..

I did a re-install of my main workstation and now I cannot see any of the other network workstations..

NETWORK DISCOVERY is turned on, PRIVATE NETWORK firewall is turned off and all workstations have the same WORKGROUP..

What setting am I missing??

Re: Computer Network Question

DOH!!

I should note that it's Winblows 10 I am running...

Comment

well there you go - you expected it to work??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        well there you go - you expected it to work??
        Touche.. It worked before I did the re-install.. That's what's so aggravating...

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do network-wise....but perhaps a managed switch + VLAN's would be a better solution.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
            I run a fairly sophisticated (if I do say so myself.. And I do! ) computer network at my work...

My main workstation has 3 Ethernet ports and allows me to access main workstations on all 3 networks I created..
            Of course, needing 3 NICs is not required. Unless you ONLY want your "main workstation" to be the only host that can see all three networks (or, if you expect it to perform the routing for any other internetwork requests).

You can even run three "independent" networks on a single fabric!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do network-wise....but perhaps a managed switch + VLAN's would be a better solution.
              What I need to do is to be able to access the HDs from the other workstations on my main workstation via File Manager...

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                Of course, needing 3 NICs is not required. Unless you ONLY want your "main workstation" to be the only host that can see all three networks (or, if you expect it to perform the routing for any other internetwork requests).

You can even run three "independent" networks on a single fabric!
                Oh yea, I am sure there is an easier way to do what I want..

But, while I may have tooted my own horn a tad (beep beep ) I am really nothing more than a talented amateur..

This setup allows my pin-head brain to grasp the concept and have a snowballs chance in hell of trouble shooting..

At least it DID prior to the OS re-install

Comment

What I need to do is to be able to access the HDs from the other workstations on my main workstation via File Manager...
                  Then why over complicate it? Simple shares with normal security would do the trick for a closed LAN. Is it accessible anywhere from the outside (wifi)?
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Then why over complicate it? Simple shares with normal security would do the trick for a closed LAN. Is it accessible anywhere from the outside (wifi)?
                    Nope... It's a closed system..

The problem is, before I could just open up FILE MANAGER, click on NETWORK and all the computers I have on my network would be available.. I then click on the computer, right click on the HD and SHARE it..

Now, none of the computers are showing up.. See Attached..

Funny thing is, I can ping the workstations from my main workstation.. The workstations show up on a LAN SCAN.. And, as you see from the pic, a printer from one of the workstations shows up in FILE MANAGER..

But the computers themselves are not showing up at all..

Thanx for the reply.. Much appreciated
                    Attached Files

Comment

If you want to access the other sysytems with file manager you need to turn SMBv1 back on. Microsoft turned it off in one of the patches. Function Discovery Resource Publication needs to be set to automatic start in all the services of all the machines.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                        If you want to access the other sysytems with file manager you need to turn SMBv1 back on. Microsoft turned it off in one of the patches. Function Discovery Resource Publication needs to be set to automatic start in all the services of all the machines.
                        Awesome.. I'll check that..

Thanx..

Comment

Nope... It's a closed system..
                          I'm having trouble grasping the 3 NIC's for 3 different networks part. If it were a network which others could possibly access, and you only wanted limited portions of the network available, I could possibly see that....but not accessible from the outside, I don't understand this config at all. I've always been a KISS networker.....and would only add essential complications for various security & access scenarios (vlans, different subnets, multiple networks, etc)....but otherwise, keep it simple!
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

That did it!!!

Awesome..

Thanx... And thanx to all the replied... Much appreciated..

Comment

That did it!!!

Awesome..

Thanx... And thanx to all the replied... Much appreciated..
                              Your welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                Durr, I totally forgot about that. Stupid w10!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Durr, I totally forgot about that. Stupid w10!
                                  In spades... Thanx for the assist...

Comment

Funny thing is, I can ping the workstations from my main workstation.. The workstations show up on a LAN SCAN.. And, as you see from the pic, a printer from one of the workstations shows up in FILE MANAGER..
                                    A ping does little more than test connectivity (assuming ICMP support is enabled).

Beyond the actual "physical" (OSI 1) connection (CAT5 cable, NIC, switch), the real uses of the network rely on the implementation of various "protocols". E.g., a ping relies on UDP (User Datagram PROTOCOL), thus is implemented at level 3 in the OSI model (the lowest level that supports the idea of a packet transported across a network -- though without any reliability guarantees!).

SMB ("file sharing") occurs at level 5 -- as connections have the notion of "sessions" and not just individual message packets.

[By comparison, FTP operates at layer 7]

The point being that you need a lot more "support" (in software!) for the protocols above the minimal "physical" connection layer).

[google "OSI Model"]

But the computers themselves are not showing up at all..
                                    No doubt because the protocols are not being implemented on client or server ends of the link.

E.g., I can turn off ICMP support and then you'll scratch your head wondering why you can't "ping" my computer -- even though you could do so a few seconds earlier! (I "hide" one of my outward facing computers by locking down ALL of the protocol support so any external hacks just see a "dead IP address" -- cuz I want access to that computer "from the outside" but don't want any adversaries to even know it exists!)

Comment

I'm having trouble grasping the 3 NIC's for 3 different networks part. If it were a network which others could possibly access, and you only wanted limited portions of the network available, I could possibly see that....but not accessible from the outside, I don't understand this config at all. I've always been a KISS networker.....and would only add essential complications for various security & access scenarios (vlans, different subnets, multiple networks, etc)....but otherwise, keep it simple!
                                      I run 3 internets, here -- but always keep them isolated from each other.

My "work/personal machines" sit on the primary "private" network.

This computer (email/WWW), a printer and another laptop (ecommerce) sit on the "exposed" network.

A third network is semi-disposable -- used for one-off testing of devices and software before introducing them to any of the other hosts, here.

I could easily set up a host with 2, 4, 8 or more NICs (I have several 4 port cards) to allow it to connect to all of these internets, independently. But, that would assume all of the hosts on the different networks still had unique IP addresses (i.e., if there were two hosts on different networks each using 192.168.1.1 as their IP, there would be no way of knowing WHICH host the workstation wanted to contact)

[The "test" network was created for the express purpose of letting me change the IP of the primary host, there, to make it easier to interface with "foreign" hosts that have previously assigned IP addresses -- without having to worry about conflicts with any of the other ~50 nodes, here]

But, for the most part, if you've set up separate internets, you probably want them to remain COMPLETELY separate.

Comment

That's kinda what my setup is like..

I have one network that runs a Public WiFi mesh...

Another network runs a Surveillance system with 35 IP/Network cameras for my work...

A third network is just a testing network where I can place new devices and configure them for deployment in the other 2 networks..

EDIT: I should add only one of those networks (the Public WiFi Mesh) has Internet access... The other 2 are strictly Local..
                                        Last edited by Michale32086; 12-11-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X