This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Dirty cheap ebay score of an Asus P2L97-DS. Asus boards of this era were bulletproof. Pretty worthless dual P2 motherboard, LX chipset that only truly supported 66MHz FSB.....but I have a pair of 333/66 CPU's in the junk CPU bin and 1gb of RAM that will work in it...and I got it stupid cheap. It has a few "IQ" caps in it, so we all know what it'll get first. Ohh well....just another nifty dust collector for my kooky PC collection....I just have a soft spot for anything pentium classic through pentium3 era, the more unusual the better (anything SMP).
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      $25.00 ebay score = Supermicro P6DGU dual slot-1 GX chipset motherboard. Been looking for one on and off for a while, I have the dedicated 'RAID port' add-on card for the onboard SCSI that goes to one of these (came in a junk box years ago). I don't know if either works, the motherboard was listed as untested and I've never had a board to test the raidport card....so $25 gamble, I'm not too worried if none of it works, I've gambled a lot more than this on pool & football games.
      I got the board yesterday. It had that 'musty' smell like its been sitting in a box in someone's basement for the last 20 years, but was very clean.... It POST'd to BIOS v 1.0....and of course the ARO raidport controller wasn't seen. After several hours of musical firmwares & BIOS updates later, I finally got them all playing nicely together...just to discover that CPU2 slot is dead....if that isn't just enough to piss you off!! I'll have to back burner this one till I can troubleshoot that issue....but its alive & well running a raid0 with the raidport zcr controller.

Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Scored some pretty fine stuff today - a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe that I have to test (had bent heatsink and has a few bad LTEC caps) and a MSI P965 Platinum w/ Pentium D 925 that also has a few bad KZG here and there.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Quick update to my previous post:

Got both to work! The MSI came back to life and booted up Windows XP from a HDD I had just fine, and so did the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe after I replaced the bad caps. I didn't replace all the LTEC caps on ASUS and KZGs on the MSI because I don't have enough good caps to replace them (I used a few Rubycons I had for both).
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Hello from an Asus P2L97-DS running 2x P2 333's and 1GB ram. Asus Riva TNT2 32mb GPU and a SB16...on win2k. I can only imagine what someone paid for this back in the day!

I also picked up some old SCSI plextor optical drives. Badly yellowed, I had to mix a batch of my de-yellowing soup....but they work and the yellowing is gone. 4x2x20 burner and a 6plex reader (with 7 caddies), as well as a box full of random adaptec scsi controllers & cables.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Half-dozen t610's and a dozen t5740's I'll use them in the design of an inventory control system I'm working on. Would have been nicer had they each had internal power supplies (instead of stupid bricks that I'll have to stash somewhere)

Comment

Lot of free and cheap scores but i'll skip it for lack of precious time ..
                I'm now , among tens of repairs , plus , heavily deep in a customer's 4000$ budget desktop , for video editing , and the main problem is , he wants a Mac system , the newest one ...not my expertise field frankly , especially when M.2's and 2 Sli Nvidias are involved ..
                Doing many pre-researches is a must .

Comment

tell him to go watch some of this:
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos

Comment

Got freebies:

2x DVD drives (one LG and one Samsung)

HIS TNT2 M64 32MB - shame the BIOS is on a non-flashable chip, or else

NEC USB PCI card - went into my AMD K6-2 500MHz machine, as the VIA one I had would make the machine not turn on

A bunch of different memory sticks, PC133 and DDR

Mercury PVT800X-L w/ Celeron 2.4GHz Northwood - killed it with a BIOS flash. Might find out how to fix that using a floppy and forcing a BIOS flash through Rainbow's method (shorting two high address pins to force bootblock error) and flash it with a Soyo BIOS

MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 w/ A64 x2 and 1GB RAM - works just fine

56K Modem I have no use for

and a bunch of laptop drives that I have no idea if they work or if I can use them.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

56k modem - pull the flash for use later.

Comment

Erm.... there's no flash on it.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Yesterday I rescued this board with a pentium g630 and 2GB of ram DDR3, unfortunately, the computer was crushed (the motherboard was curved), I could only save the motherboard, processor, ram, reader dvd, hdd and the rest was crap.
                          They threw it possibly because the PSU failed, it had an L-LINK (psu junk of 15 dollars) This computer was installed for a closed circuit CCTV, because there was a card installed. Well, installing a PSU of poor quality on a computer that is 24/7 on is a bad choice.
                          Now I have had it 1 day on another case mounted and not a hang, it goes great, when I can install a cheap Xeon socket 1155. (The red pixels that are seen on the monitor is due to the HDMI cable that is in poor condition.)
                          I had to remove the damaged DIMM, and I removed it because some pin were cracked and it was unrecoverable, now it only has 1 DIMM.
                          And 2 weeks ago I recovered a toshiba s2000, working perfect.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kevin!; 08-12-2018, 03:01 PM.
                          Gaming pc:
                          nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                          Workshop PC:
                          Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                          Server:

Comment

Got another PS2 slim with a XenoPS (made by the same guys behind XenoGC, if anyone owned/owns a modded Gamecube here) with a 8MB memcard and a silver joystick for free.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

if you still do cubes, there is an open-source version of xeno - just buy the blank chip.

Comment

picked up a working 3com 2948 (full gigabit) 48-port baseline switch for 10 bucks. Fans were obnoxiously noisy (bad not fast)....I couldn't take them apart without killing them either. Spent 11 bucks more for a pair of 40mm replacements (top motor)...now its quiet.

This is a managed switch, and someone had a password on it....the procedure to restore defaults (erase passwords) was an interesting stroll down memory lane.....I had to dig out my old console cable!!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

picked up a working 3com 2948 (full gigabit) 48-port baseline switch for 10 bucks. Fans were obnoxiously noisy (bad not fast)....I couldn't take them apart without killing them either. Spent 11 bucks more for a pair of 40mm replacements (top motor)...now its quiet.

This is a managed switch, and someone had a password on it....the procedure to restore defaults (erase passwords) was an interesting stroll down memory lane.....I had to dig out my old console cable!!
                                  check the caps. My SRW2048 had like 22 bad "stone" brand caps
                                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                    check the caps. My SRW2048 had like 22 bad "stone" brand caps
                                    I did. The mainboard had all polymer & tantalum, the PSU was all UCC & Rubycon. I had it apart for the fan replacement.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

scored 8x 3ware 9500S-4LP controllers for a buck each....with a 128mb RAM module. These are PCI 2.2 complaint, great for use in retro builds, giving them a neat modern twist & performance upgrade....
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

scored 8x 3ware 9500S-4LP controllers for a buck each....with a 128mb RAM module. These are PCI 2.2 complaint, great for use in retro builds, giving them a neat modern twist & performance upgrade....
                                        Junk... Compared the 9550sx. Somewhere I did a comparison and after I determined that the 9550sx provides a substantial performance benefit. Did they have BBU's?
                                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                          Junk... Compared the 9550sx. Somewhere I did a comparison and after I determined that the 9550sx provides a substantial performance benefit. Did they have BBU's?
                                          I think ya missed the point. PCI2.2 compliant. The 9550 isn't. These work in older stuff. Compared to ATA33/66/100, these scream, especially with Velociraptors, and have OS support all the way back to Win2k. These don't even have a BBU option, they're a pretty basic controller (good for what I'm using them for). Has a soDIMM slot on it for it's cache...I remember some of the scsi raid controllers had a full length SDRAM or DDR memory module slot on them.

I've scoured looking for a PCI2.2 complaint SAS controller....sadly, there's no such animal...
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X