Sharp LC-37B20E need to change channel plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LC-37B20E need to change channel plan

This TV is a UK model brought into Australia a few years ago. Repaired it by changing out the inverter and now realise it doesn't tune to our Australian DTV frequencies. Owner now tells me he uses a set-top box to drive the TV.

I'm investigating the possibility of loading in compatible firmware for Australian frequencies. Looking into the matter last night, I don't recognise a direct one-for-one between the UK model and any of the Australian models sold by Sharp.

I've downloaded the firmware for the three 37" TVs sold by Sharp into Australia, of which only two are 1080 TVs, so I'm down to two possibilities. I also have downloaded the firmware for the UK model.

My concern is if I start mucking around with incompatible firmware I might not be able to get it back to the original firmware.

I've thrown the question back to Sharp Australia Technical Support but doubt I'll get any reasonable response as the TV was not sold here in Australia.

Anyone had this challenge with other brands of TV and how did your experience go?

Re: Sharp LC-37B20E need to change channel plan

Also, does anyoner have a ready-reckoner of DTV channel frequencies used in Europe? I went looking on the net and could easily find a table for the UK, let alone for any of the other countries.

This TV can be set for any European country. I was hoping I must stumble across one which was similar to what we use here. I only need five freqencies: CH29=536.5MHz, CH30=543.5MHz, CH31=550.5MHz, CH32=557.5MHz, CH33=564.5MHz

Comment

Isn't there like Country codes in the service menu?

Comment

Yes there are Country Codes, but this set only has options for Europe. Obviously it was only intended for sale in that market. I suspect models sold in our region have options for Oceania or Asia.

Comment

Ran across this conversation:https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...-to-uk-616274/

Comment

More reading there, some say you need a set top box: https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/14808...-in-australia/

Comment

Thanks NOMORESONYS for your research. I just tried the Germany option, but it doesn't resolve the DTV issue. The references in those posts to compatibility with European countries were with regards analogue TV, which was switched off here some years ago.

Customer will continue to watch via a set top box and I'm sure will have just as enjoyable viewing experience.

Comment

Forgot to look at the dates. Pal is Pal, Uk. and AU. are both Pal, seems like it should work, might have to do a factory reset and initialization, curious to know why it won't work? Quite a head scratcher.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-20-2019, 12:43 AM.

Comment

There are different versions of PAL ie PAL-M and PAL-I etc. But these are the old analog broadcasting standards, In the U.K. it is now DTT (digital terrestrial television ) using DVB-T or DVB-T2 (HD)
                  Australia also uses DVB-T but the modulation might be different (QPSK,16QAM,64QAM)

In N.America the standard has changed from NTSC to ATSC for digital over the air broadcast, They can use the same VHF channel (except for channels 2-7) but its not brodcasting an analog video signal but a digital signal.
                  Last edited by R_J; 08-20-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Wrong info.
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-20-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

So Australia is DTV then, so no way around a decoder/set top, xbox etc?
                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-20-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

You may have missed this
                        This TV is a UK model brought into Australia a few years ago. Repaired it by changing out the inverter and now realise it doesn't tune to our Australian DTV frequencies. Owner now tells me he uses a set-top box to drive the TV.

Comment

Nope seen it, just wondering why it needs the set top, according to wiki both countries do DVB-T2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T#...VB-T_or_DVB-T2

Comment

Ok, so it may be a modulation issue, any fix for that, besides the boxes? Not moving there just curious.
                            Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

It is not an issue with DTV modulation compatibility (we are the same here in Australia as the UK and most of the rest of the world). The issue is our channel plan is unique to Australia. The allocated frequencies here in OZ can't be detected when the tuner does a scan as it is looking at particular frequencies depending upon the country code set up of the TV. (With this set, you do a factory reset and then allocate the country in which it will be used. But as prevoiusly mentioned, the only option are European countries.)

And that is why the current owner uses a set-top box and looks like that is the only solution going forward. Without a firmware change that includes Australia there appears to be no other option, but was worthwhile throwing it out there to see whether anyone had any other thoughts on the matter.

Comment

mad thought but it maybe could be done .that is fitting set top box into tv somehow .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                  mad thought but it maybe could be done .that is fitting set top box into tv somehow .
                                  Yes, probably a mad thought! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dkneyle View Post
                                    It is not an issue with DTV modulation compatibility (we are the same here in Australia as the UK and most of the rest of the world). The issue is our channel plan is unique to Australia.
                                    I thought they should all be the same modulation but was'nt sure so I thought I would suggest it.

Comment

Working...
                                    X