Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What type of fuse is this?

Originally posted by budm View Post
    There are two of them so remove them and test them off the board.
    Remove the bridge rectifiers or the MOFSET's?

Comment

It is easier to remove the MOSFET's.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Took the MOSFET’s out of the board. The top one in the picture measures about 2.2M ohms. Keeps fluctuating.
        The lower one reads 0.2 ohms.

On the board the bridge rectifiers are about 2.2M ohms.
        Last edited by Malachi; 11-18-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Order the fets?

Comment

Lower one is shorted but I would replace both and also look at the gate driver chip and consider replacing that too.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I already ordered both fet’s yesterday. Which is the gate driver?

Comment

Can anyone tell me which is the gate driver?

Comment

From budm's photo in post #58, the gate driver is the black surface mount ic between the the two mosfets you checked. It's ICP801. I suggest you go ahead and replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                    From budm's photo in post #58, the gate driver is the black surface mount ic between the the two mosfets you checked. It's ICP801. I suggest you go ahead and replace it.
                    Thanks, that looks to be above my skill level. If the two mosfet's don't fix it, I think I'm giving up on it.

Comment

Worst case if the gate driver is bad the new MOSFETs will blow, about 75% of the time the driver ICs seem to survive.
                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                        Worst case if the gate driver is bad the new MOSFETs will blow, about 75% of the time the driver ICs seem to survive.
                        We shall see. eBay sells a kit for this psu with the fuse and the 2 mosfets. So must be a common fix.

Comment

The fets are arriving today, will update afterwards.
                          What is the white compound that is put on them? Not the thermal compound but the hard stuff? I had to cut it off. Do I need to put that back on afterwards? What purpose does it serve?

I also have thermal pads. Can I use that between the fets and the heat sink or is compound preferred?
                          Last edited by Malachi; 11-21-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

The hard, goopy stuff? That is used to hold the components in place during shipping or if the TV is moved. You do not need it.

Comment

Thanks Tom.

Comment

Good news. Replacing the 2 MOSFET's fixed the issue.
                                The bad news, see the attached picture.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Bad panel. Sorry to see that.

It seems that these are really nice Samsung panels but very poor life.

Small chance that when power supply faulted it caused damage to address/data drivers -- but bad design if so.

Comment

Hopefully I can recoup my $40 dollar investment by selling the main board, power supply board

Comment

Usually, in case of failure, the lamp is used instead of the fuse during repair.
                                      It save components and you have visual information about power consumption.
                                      Light bulb is very good assistant during repair.

Last edited by JohnNovak; 11-24-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                                        Hopefully I can recoup my $40 dollar investment by selling the main board, power supply board
                                        Everything works aside from the panel, so there's that. You can also have some fun with the plasma panel by removing the heatsinks from the address drivers and running it . They will begin to burn out and fill the screen with a rainbow of effects.

Comment

Well, coppeltv repair bought the psu for $50, so I’ve made my money back.

Comment

Working...
                                          X