Kill ASUS WITH FIRE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kill ASUS WITH FIRE

Oh believe me. I wasted too much time playing with that thing...

With lots of tabs open in Iron/Chrome, sometimes after you'd click a link, the whole system would hang for a few seconds. Afterwards, it would 'free' itself and proceed.

Just an unstable/cheap system. A nasty old SOYO 5EH5 was slower, yea, but more stable- until its caps shorted and burned some traces...

Like I've said in other posts, ASUSTEK is ECS quality on a Tyan budget. If I never saw one again, I'd be too happy.

ASUS ->
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
      Here's when I first noticed it, in the first week of owning it and running at stock speeds. While playing an audio file, a podcast for example, playback would jump ahead, anywhere from 10 to 200 ms, at intervals between 10 seconds to 5 minutes. Made for some interesting 'nonsense words' when syllables, and sometimes words, were cut out.
      Excessive DPC latency. Driver issue not hardware. I'm a Gigabyte fan too (P35-DS3 rev 1.0 still going strong here after 4 years, despite being ran at stupid FSB speeds and maximum NB voltage ever since i got it), but not all Asus/Asrock boards are bad. I do tend to avoid them, but there are a few decent ones out of the bunch.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      Just occasionallz looked into case and found that my 880GXH/USB3 designed the same weirdo ass hole.
      That's a good board. I advised a friend to buy the same board. He went with a 3GHz Athlon II dual and 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 to go with it, and he needed a mobo with decent onboard video because no $$ for dedicated card at that time (heck, the 4250 on that can even be overclocked!) Runs like a dream so far, but it's only been like half an year.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yeah some half an year too here, but running unlocked to X4 B50 at 3,5 GHz just fine. At least Linux is rock stable (just turned of notiffication of corrected errors - thats why ECC is in cache for, dont need to know that). Well 7 is, uhh, Windows U know.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

My motherboards were:

PC Chips Elpina M577 Socket 7 - I heard it was also sold under lots of other brands... I don't know, it worked well, had an AMD 333 Mhz with 75 Mhz bus if I remember correctly. Used to run it on 3.5 x 100 stable. The first computer my parents bought for me.

Asrock K7VT6 - probably, not 100% sure, but whatever it was, it was stable - I remember that I didn't like long boot times and being forced to go in bios after power failures as it thought I was overclocking. Sold it when Barton popped up, as it wasn't supporting it.

Asus A7N8XE_Deluxe - superb, super stable with a Barton. Sold it to go for Intel D805 - quite an overclocker for its time...

Asus P5ND2-SLI - northbridge heating a lot (nvidia chipset naturally) but otherwise motherboard rock stable, sold the system to go for quad core when i got a job where I had to do lots of video encodings.

Asus P5Q Pro - current one, stable, overclocking a lot on air when I want to

At my parents house, there's an Asus A7N8X and my sister still has a system I built about 4-5 years ago for her with an Asus A7V8X-X

So I don't know, maybe I was super lucky but all these boards have no issues.

At university, when I wanted to get the Intel D805, I was debating whether to go for Gigabyte or Asus and decided to go for Asus after my room mate that worked at an IT company told me that several Gigabyte models at that time were under-reporting the CPU temperature by about 3-5 C degrees and came by default with about 1-2 Mhz extra on FSB, to win points in benchmarks. As I was planning to overclock that CPU (and as I was less knowledgeable), I preferred to go for Asus then.

Next upgrade is probably going to be a Dual Socket G34 paired with two 8 or 12 core Bulldozer processors - and the motherboard is most likely going to be Asus as well - there is one model that has decent price for the value and it's in extended ATX format, if there's going to be a Bios update, I'm seriously going to consider it.
          Last edited by mariushm; 10-14-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

The boards are built to last warranty period, after it you don't know day and night they will die. So basically if you changed them so often, you may basically just gave them away before they got the possibility to die.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

So guys I did my study and ASRock DOES NOT BELONG TO ASUSTeK. They sold it in the form of Unihan Corporation to Pegatron back in 2007.

Comment

And Pegatron was owned by ASUSTeK until mid 2010.
                No, I'm not kidding....
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-04-2011, 07:25 AM.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Yep, and from then they are totally independent. But have been making they very own boards competing with ASUS for past few years…

Comment

Few years?
                    It's barely over 1 year since they were owned by Asus.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

You just can't not compete with company making the same stuff as you even if you happen to own company owning this company, right? It's violating rules.

Comment

That wasn't too clear.
                        Not sure what you are asking.

GM owns [or did] Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac.
                        And they all compete for sales.

I don't know if they still do but at one time Ford owned 40% of Toyota.

Did any of that answer the question?
                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-04-2011, 08:35 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Man I'm just saying even than ASRock was not ASUS, they got their own engineers and stuff, they got to compete one with other so they couldn't make the same shit.

Comment

The whole reason Asus formed ASRock was to get into the low end 'el-cheapo' mobo market without having their name associated with it.
                            It's like Chevy is the el-cheapo brand and Cadillac is the premium brand.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

They failed hard than cause I usually see ASUS competing with MSI in the "biggest cheapest crap" segment for many years. Also I have to repair than what they fucked up. But as we know ASUS stuff is build that way it often dies unrepairably.

The problem of ASUS is that even their most expensive boards are build like crap for the price…

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                They failed hard than cause I usually see ASUS competing with MSI in the "biggest cheapest crap" segment for many years. Also I have to repair than what they fucked up. But as we know ASUS stuff is build that way it often dies unrepairably.

The problem of ASUS is that even their most expensive boards are build like crap for the priceā€¦
                                I'll agree with that.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I haven't really had probs with ASRock lately. Built quite a few customer PCs with them. As long as you stay away from the supercheapo models or anything with nvidia chipsets, you're fine. Also check for BIOS updates before you let it go out to the customer. Most of the time they come with the very first release BIOS, and on the ASRock support page there are already like 4+ newer versions.

My bro upgraded his machine to AM3 a while back and he got a ASRock 770 Extreme3.
                                  Hasn't had any probs with it so far. Caps are all polys, but they're not chemicons, despite looking like them at first

http://bobr.e-mogilev.com/allpics/012-8105539.jpg
                                  Only difference between that pic and his board is that his heatsinks are grey instead of the cheap looking gold / wannabe copper.

At first we wanted to go with Gigabyte, but all the boards with at least 3 PCI slots weren't available anywhere (He needed those for his soundcards.. DJ'ing stuff)

The only available alternative at that time was a Biostar A770L3, which would've been fine if it didn't have tiny chipset heatsinks with the usual biostar-proprietary mounting hole arrangement (no aftermarket ones will fit properly) and it used OST caps everywhere except the CPU VRM :|

http://www.ktc-ua.com/sites/default/.../mb/a770l3.jpg

Another thing about ASRock is that they're sometimes VERY creative with their stuff.
                                  Those boards with the upgrade sockets are relatively well known, but they also released stuff like a socket 775 board, supporting core 2 duos.
                                  Nothing special so far, but the board is based on the friggin i865 P4 chipset from the Socket 478 days. WTF!

Board in question is the 775i65G
                                  http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775i65G

And then there are the tiny details noone seems to notice anymore. For example the universal retention modules found on Socket 754/939 and S478 boards.
                                  You could mount those either on S478 boards or 754/939 boards, and use coolers for both sockets.

i.e.: you could mount any S478 P4 cooler on S754/939 or vice versa.

I really can't think of any other mainboard manufacturer doing this kinda stuff

Comment

Yeah, they have some specialities. U know bout the 785G and 790GX boards for 939, right?

Comment

yep. Also their strange "i-don't-know-what-i-am" boards with AGP & PCI-Express and DDR & DDR2 support.. all on one board

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...4CoreDual-VSTA
                                      http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...l-SATA2%20R2.0

I personally owned the 4Core Dual-VSTA. Was THE perfect choice for upgrading my ancient S478 P4 to a Core 2 Duo

I was able to keep my 2GB DDR400 and my Geforce 6800GT AGP, and upgrade step by step
                                      Hell.. i was even able to overclock my Core 2 Duo E4300 from 1.8 to 2.4GHz without any OC options in the BIOS (just FSB setting).

Caps were okay-ish. Nichicon HM (2006 datecode) on VRM in, OST on VRM out and everywhere else. Some came with chemicon KZG on VRM out or Panasonic on VRM in.
                                      Last edited by Scenic; 12-04-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Yeah, also last VIA chipset…

Comment

sadly..
                                          I preferred VIA chipsets over any nvidia or SiS junk. They just.. worked.

PS: that 4Core Dual-VSTA is still working in my mom's computer. Used pretty much every day.
                                          Last edited by Scenic; 12-04-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X