Video Cards- How Hot is too Hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Cards- How Hot is too Hot?

I have here a PCI video card GFMX420PCI, which translates to an NVIDIA GeForce MX420 64MB PCI video card. I was using it on my ASUS CUR-DLS board in place of the onboard 4MB ATI Rage.

It started to get flaky, so I replaced the 4 Canicon 6.3V 1000uf with Sanyo WGs.

Tried some full-screen youtube video, worked great. Went to swap it out as I was going to test another card, and WOW it was hot. Probably 80C. It has the little 2-pin connector, so I could attach a 40mm fan. At present it's passive cooled heatsink.

Why so much heat? Should I expect a PCI card to get hotter than an AGP card?

The onboard rage cards don't even have a heatsink. Obviously this card fried the Canicons. Two of them had ESR approaching 1.00. Card is not burnt in any way.

So is the card defective and am I wasting time adding a fan?

Or are video cards expected to have short, hot nasty lifespans? Or should I look to some component that is adding resistance, and hence heat to the circuit? It does have one large MOSFET Niko L1084S DNA1327D84 and 2 Toroidal Inductors, but no parts
    show the effects of heat.j

Re: Video Cards- How Hot is too Hot?

GF4 MX and GF2 MX (same thing basically) do get really hot (unless underclocked and undervolted).

they either have a heatsink + fan (with a heatsink not much bigger than the GPU itself) or a passive heatsink only, which is 3 - 4 times as big as the GPU..

GF2 MX400

GF2 MX200

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
      GF4 MX and GF2 MX (same thing basically) do get really hot (unless underclocked and undervolted).

they either have a heatsink + fan (with a heatsink not much bigger than the GPU itself) or a passive heatsink only, which is 3 - 4 times as big as the GPU..

GF2 MX400

GF2 MX200
      or both if i soldered a fan to the fan header holes on a passive card... and that will really keep it cool...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well, that explains it. My card looks like the top one, small heatsink, but NO fan.

Thanks very much for your input! I ordered a fan last night!

Comment

Video cards usually have a higher heat tolerance than cpu's, but sometimes the makers save a buck or 2 by putting a smaller heatsink on thinking you aren't going to use it to hard or they anticipate good airflow around the card.

Comment

Working...
          X