LG 60PZ950 purple and green color artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG 60PZ950 purple and green color artifacts

I had the same symptoms, the same cracked solder joints under the coils, and resoldering fixed the problem. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by brewman View Post
      Tom66 tv is fixed. Loose solder joints were the problem.
      You sir are CORRECT!
      Your post has just saved my TV and my wallet too. Although I am not an electrical engineer or electrical repair man, but a car mechanic, and would probably not be able to find a problem such as this on my own, but show me the problem and I sure do have the skill to fix it. You have unknowingly helped me out as I have the same TV that had the same problem for the last month or so. The problem was not constant, but more often than not. I think those coils are resistors of some kind and they do get hot, but I believe that the solder fracture happens from the fact that they emit a high frequency buzz that causes resonance which over time may fracture the solder joints. Perhaps this will re-occur every 3 years or so as that is the age of my TV.
      This is my second appliance that I fixed through this website, sure glad it exists.
      Thank you very much "brewman". You are the man!
      Attached Files

Comment

I have the same TV, same symptoms, and redoing the bad solder joints on the coils fixed it. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hey I had the same problem but coming here I was able to fix it 30 min up and running check all the reference voltages with my new fluke spot on I have was a copier tec for years so I had to dust off the soldering iron and a couple drops od solder and away we go
          and after apologizing to my son thinking it was because of the games he plays we are all happy again thanks everybody for all the help
          Engineer13

Comment

Merci
            vous venez de rendre un francais heureux !!!
            Evidemment, les bobines... toujours les bobines et les soudures... j'ai imaginé une multitude de solutions puisque j'avais également les bonnes mesures dont un problème de version de ROM...
            Finalement 3 soudures sur 6 craquelés
            Merci à vous

thank you
            you just make a happy french !!!
            Obviously, the coils ... always coils and welds ... I imagined a multitude of solutions, since I also had the right steps including a problem ROM version ...
            3 finally cracked welds 6
            Thank you,

Comment

I'm so pleased I found your post. This tip fixed my lg 60pz950 which had similar but worse fault on screen. Mine was very patchy with shimmering. Black patches round all four corners on light images. Just soldering those 6 posts holding the coils in place worked a dream. Thank you once again.

Comment

Thank you very much!!!
                I have the same TV LG 60PZ950, same problem, same solution (solder joints) and it works!!!

Comment

I've been having this exact fault now for a while and been trying to find someone to fix it , all of a sudden the screen has changes and it looks like someone has been at it with a black marker pen , not a good description but the best one i have right now.

It looks similar to when a mobile phone screen gets damaged but nothing has touched the screen at all

Comment

I have the same tv, while fast forwarding the dvr all images on the screen went away including the volume bar, channel or any other info display. I checked all power supply voltages and they are correct. The tv powers up normal and stays on. When the fault occurred there was no warning, no noise, no previous issues of any kind. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

I failed to mention that there is a faint blue glow yo the entire screen.

Comment

Just writing to thank you Brewman for publising yor solution. Few days ago my tv started showing the same purple and green artifacts, and the problem was the same, solved by resoldering the joints

Comment

Didn't warrant a separate thread imho.

Found one on the side of the road (literally) and plugged it in: severe red dots and even red smears. (Is that called mal-discharge?) Small crack in the front protective screen, but panel seemed unbroken.

So reading up on it, I figured I'd check the Va and Vs (iirc) and update the firmware. Voltages were fine (0.6V too low and 0.8V too low), and firmware was the newest version.

The trouble was that the red dots were gone when the back was off!
                          I checked the power supply board as that may receive some mechanical stress from the back (seem to be some inprints from the heatsinks on the white foam insert on the back), but could find no bad solder joints.

Just to make sure, I resoldered the coils on the Z and Y sustain (?) boards. Some were less than perfect, but as there were three in parallel and only one had some signs of a bad solderjoint, I am not convinced that might have been the problem.

Put everything back together and picture seems fine.

Am I just Lucky? Can someone explain the difference between with and without the back on? Any other advice?

Thanks!
                          (Also 60PZ950)

Comment

Coils getting too hot eventually cracking solder will take other components on Zsus board. Recently had Nick at NicksTV in Tucson repair my board quite affordably.

Working great. Thanks Nick!

Tighten ALL screws on all boards and clean carbon tracks from standoffs

Thanks

Comment

If your board only shows mal-discharge such as weird colors or sparkles of green red or blue than re-soldering the "coils" AKA Inductors is all you need to do. However if your tv shows a blank screen aka no picture at all or if the tv turns on and then shuts down, you will have to do a lot more than just re-solder the inductors. At that point you will have more than likely shorted IGBT's along with possibly burnt fuse, shorted or open resistors, and lastly 4 possible bad IC's dependent on the issue.

Comment

I have the same television with the same symptoms. I've had the television unplugged for 3 days - is it safe to open the cabinet and re-solder the 6 joints or do I need to discharge the capacitors in some way?

Comment

Thanks for this thread, I fixed my TV's Zsus board too. I'm not a tech, but I've built a few computers, and this particular problem isn't too difficult to solve with modest soldering skills. The hardest thing was waiting long enough for my 40W soldering iron to heat up those coils enough to reflow new solder into the joints. Oh, and pulling the three connectors loose on the lower right side of the board does require a bit of leverage, I used a nylon pry tool between the Zsus and adjacent pcb board. Rocking the board didn't really help much. Fortunately, I didn't damage anything by getting a little physical with the nylon pry.

The TV was about four years old, and for the past few months it had been turning itself off a few minutes after initial startup. Then I started noticing a horizontal purple bar, on green fields of grass. On other backgrounds, I would see green artifacts, or on close ups of people's faces the green shadowing was very noticeable. Since I reflowed the solder on the coils, I haven't had the TV shutdown, so I'm crossing my fingers about have to do any other work on the set. Thanks again for the help with my LG 60PZ950, it seems just like new.

Comment

I wanted to also chime in with a thank you for this thread. My own set suddenly started having purple blotches/ghosting, and seemed a bit dim. I found these same cracked solder joints. I didn't do the best job reflowing the solder, but following the repair everything seems back to normal!

Comment

I too had cracked solder joints causing purple and green hue on light colours. Repaired and working like new.

Thanks for pointing out the very common fault with LG plasmas.

Comment

Hi,
                                        I have a franch model of this TV and i'm facing the same problem since 3 months.
                                        I called LG support and of of their expert told me that "my TV is can't be repaired".

Hopefully I found this topic and decided to check all the electonic boards and with a bit of ironing, my Tv works again !!!!!!
                                        Thank you.

Comment

Hi. Just joined to say brewmans solution worked for me. Tv is 6.5 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                          X