Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another G5/661-3350 query

hello to all ,
    i just joined up and did a quick search for some information relating to the G5 20" swmps .
    i noticed in one thread that a schematic was asked for , this is about where i am at ... or a parts list .

in addition to the half-fistful of bad caps that i replaced , D10 has turned itself into a piece of wire (no magic smoke) .
    i believe this diode is in one of the smaller supplies (standby/always on perhaps) . it is in association with the TOP244Y driver IC .

the oem number is T2D46 .
    i have tried to cross reference this critter to no avail .
    without a schematic i cannot readily ascertain if it is a zener or a fast rectifier .
    does anybody have any information on this device ?

thanks in advance .

Re: another G5/661-3350 query

I'm looking at D10 on a 661-3350 and it's marked T2D47. Does that help ?

Comment

no cross for that number ...
      it seems as if that number series is about like tracking down a set of snake lips .

do you have any idea if it is a fast rectifier or a zener ?
      out of circuit measurements would have to be taken and a zener test performed in order to determine what the part actually is .

that is the problem ...
      if i had a good supply in front of me i could figure out what the part is .

Comment

Maybe a clue here - http://find-chip.com/bauteil-suche/T2D47.html. I would guess fast rectifier. The boards I've worked have zener's marked ZD.

Comment

the link doesn't work (as of 0650 CST) .

i did find google results for "Bauteilsuche" ... i will explore that a bit further .

yeah , i am used to the zd delineation on boards .
          but with this thing ... uuuggghh !
          i am leaning towards a fast rectifier as well .

Comment

Ultrafast - <75ns - clamping diode

Check Q1 and the 3845 IC also.

What's the PSU's board number? API4PC46 ?

Please have an admin correct the title to: another Apple iMac G5 PSU 661-3350 query.

Please don't encrypt titles. I had not seen this thread until it just happened to come up in "new posts" this morning.
            veritas odium parit

Comment

the number on the case is API3PC96 .
              Q1 checks ok .

nothing on the 3845 ic is dead shorted , the TOP244Y ic checks in a similar manner .
              all the same , i am going to replace these two items ... cheap insurance .

just out of curiosity , any idea/thoughts as to why the numbers don't show up for the rectifier ?
              the numbers on the device don't seem like "in house" markings .

Comment

Re: another Apple iMac G5 PSU 661-3350 query

>>i am going to replace these two items ... cheap insurance .<<

Unnecessary and a good chance to damage the board.

Somewhere I found a cross to these over a year ago. Determine the output of the TOP and go higher by 20% or more.

"piece of wire" I assume you mean shorted? Or did it burn and that's the remains?

Toast

Attached Files
                veritas odium parit

Comment

the diode went into the shorted mode ...
                  i don't believe the unit suffered from catastrophic failure , based on the lack of physical evidence (nothing burnt , grenaded or charred) and cursory checks .

absolutely , a board can be damaged by messing with it to no end .
                  as an old BE friend of mine said about a new young engineer (after the transmitter he had been futzing with for almost the whole day took a dive) :
                  "yessir , he done engineered it right off the air" .
                  this supply goes in the comp of a friend that lives in another town and hence the reason for "cheap insurance" .

thanks for the data sheet pdf .

Comment

FYI -- cheap insurance would be to replace that Q1 regardless. It is the most frequent cause of failure (in addition to caps) for this supply. Just a thought.

Comment

Is this diode measured out of circuit? I don't think so.

Take a -real close look- at the circuit it's in.

Now, let's slow down and go back to basics:

-What was/is wrong with the PSU?
                      -What caps did you use and which ones have been replaced?
                      -Did/do you have 5vsb and 20-24v when it is not jumpered on?

Toast
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

a little further history ...
                        i recapped this supply about 8 months ago . the MB (or mid-plane board in applese) was recapped as well .
                        the original problem was intermittent shutdown , eventually becoming "no start" .
                        the physical evidence was the typical swelled and leaking caps .
                        sans the two raw DC input filters , all the electrolytics in the supply were replaced with nichicon and panasonic caps of the FM and FC (etc) line ; the good stuff .
                        many of the MB caps were swelled/leaking (as denoted elsewhere in these and other forums) . these too were replaced with "the good stuff" .
                        the supply came back to life and the voltages/ripple looked good . the comp performed normally , running 24/7 for 5 days , before returning it to my friend .

my friend informed me that the machine had been working ok until about three weeks ago ... it would run for several hours and then shut down .
                        the problem became worse (more frequent , shorter run times) , it finally became "permanent" .
                        my response was : "get the machine to me" .
                        (asides : i asked him why he did not call me with this information/condition much sooner .
                        reply : "... and i didn't want to bother you" .
                        not a good answer in my book .)

i pulled the supply and performed the cursory checks (the replacement caps are ok) , eventually i found the shorted D10 .
                        methinks : "aha ... that would explain the no-start condition" .
                        i consider this to be fortunate as opposed to the "flame out" mode .

the diode measurement is out of circuit . the low value resistor in series with that diode is ok (the resistor is encrusted with that white "toothpaste" adhesive) .
                        because of this condition (and other technical considerations) i have not applied ac line power .
                        taking things one step at a time saves a lot of headaches .

@ godonr :
                        thanks for the heads-up on Q1 ... do you happen to know the replacement for it ?

about the seeming lack of information and schematic availability ...
                        i have worked on "proprietary" equipment in the past , the kind where you had to sign a non-disclosure agreement .
                        i can understand/appreciate a company wanting to protect their investments .
                        in this case though , i really have a tough time considering a SMPS of this type to be made out of (and thought of as being made of) gold plated unicorn dung .

ps ... a message requesting a title change was sent . i imagine admin is pretty busy ... i can appreciate that .
                        Last edited by CWB; 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Q1 is a MMBT2222A. Mouser carries it with a 350mW power dissip @ 25 for a $.05.

Comment

The resistor is not in series with the diode. The diode is across the T1 primary and that's why I said I didn't think it had been pulled. I've not had 1 shorted to date, but then there's always an oddball out there in this business.
                            Last edited by Toasty; 02-03-2011, 04:54 PM.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

toasty ,
                              you are right about the resistor , closer examination shows this .
                              /me builds pot of stronger coffee and wipes glasses .

trouble shooting this supply would be a lot easier with a real schematic .
                              with D10 shorted and the fact that it is across the primary of T1 ... i would hazard that *somewhere* there is a fuseable resistor in series with the B+ to this supply . i base this on the lack of the line fuse being ok and no "magic smoke" has been loosed .
                              i am going to do some more examination/checks , replace D10 and see if the supply comes back to life .
                              i'll post my findings .

@ godonr :
                              thanks for the cross number on Q1 .
                              i have an order going into mouser and i'll order up a few .

ps ... i talked to my friend and brought him up to speed on the happenings .
                              he informed me that he has located a couple more G5s that are dead in the water ... something about co-workers (graphics design outfit) personal comps .
                              i dunno ... at this point in time i really have trepidation about opening up another of these supplies .

Comment

look at it this way.. if you figured out what's wrong with this one, the other ones might be quick fixes.. and easy money

well.. sort of easy..

Comment

yeppers ...
                                  no more difficult than nailing jelly to a tree .

it isn't about the money ... i don't believe that one can put a price on sanity .

Comment

after getting "un-busy" and getting on the downhill side of the creeping crud that is going around i did some more checking on the supply ...

i replaced the diode that is across the transformer and double checked the drain and source leads of the driver ic ... so far so good .
                                    i then powered up the supply and "sniffed" the transformer with a scope .
                                    the supply is trying to fire up ... it pulses for a short interval , stops and pulses again . it does this indefinitely .
                                    it almost acts like there is a helluva load on the secondary .
                                    this whole repair would be easier with a schematic ... one would think that *somewhere* there is a schematic available .
                                    as soon as the other parts i ordered get here (i put them on another order) i will pursue this matter further .

in the meantime , in order to get the comp back to my friend , i am going to order up a (supposedly) brand new supply ...
                                    i noticed that a couple of outfits are selling these supplies as "brand new in the box" . of course there is a wide range in the pricing between them .

Comment

in the world of apples and oranges... the API3PC96 (661-3350) is the simpler (as in uses only one PWM among other things) of the two (API3PC46) supplies that pop up here. The 661-3350 can shut down because of issues with the m/b as well. I've seen failing HDs cause this problem in iMacs. Make sure you don't have any other issues outside of the power supply. They can shorten the life of these supplies.

Comment

MB problems ... eeeyeah ...
                                        /start rant
                                        originally my friend had got a quote from a "mac shop" (i'll bet all that work there are left handed , but i shall digress) . the price he was quoted was for a "new" MB ... i verified this by asking him if they had cracked it open and took a look around .
                                        he replied that they did not open it , the tech took a look at it externally and then made his (in my opinion) blind pronouncement .
                                        i asked my friend if they mentioned replacement of any other parts ... he replied "no" .
                                        for the price he was quoted i could build a windows or ubuntu box that would run circles around his G5 ! i believe in fair profit but it was ridiculous .

i opened the machine ... yep , bad caps on the MB .
                                        i opened the swmps ... my suspicions were confirmed ... plumb nasty looking .
                                        in theory ; they would have "replaced" (i have my doubts on this one) the MB (for a high dollar price) and the machine might have fired up long enough to get it home and then fail . the next words would have been "sorry charlie ..." .
                                        from there , i can imagine the pitch to sell him a new overpriced machine .
                                        anyway i look at it i see it as incompetent and questionable in integrity .

i am a BE and have been for many years , along the way i have also worked for many consumer and industrial electronic repair firms/shops , have wall paper from many schools that were required for warranty/certified status , etc ...
                                        i have had to testify in court as to my findings in fraudulent repairs , worked on the "tough dogs" at the request of another shop , etc .
                                        it really p***es me off when i learn of practices/individuals like these that give the industry a bad name .
                                        and when it involves/happens to a friend ... well , you might imagine that it really gets my attention .
                                        /end rant

the checks i performed on the supply after replacing the diode (etc) were done both in and out of the machine .

on a further note ...
                                        as i see it there is marginal cooling and cramped conditions in the supply ... this makes me wonder if a suitable external supply (fed through the old power cord hole) would not be a better/cheaper/easier deal , all things considered .

Comment

Working...
                                        X