Desktop Choosing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Choosing help

Hi guys; i was given a desktop Asus mother board K8U-X Athlon 64 3200 32bit ram 1.5gb with win 7 ultimate..
    and i have presently a desktop Emachines Amd Athlon ll x2 250 U 32 bit with Xubuntu 16.04 ,i'm trying to decide which is best and put aside one of them,which one you guys think i should use? thanks

Re: Desktop Choosing help

the Linux one.
    unless you want to swap bits about, dont know if those are both socket 939 or whatever though.

Comment

The Athlon II x2 250 is much newer (socket AM3, circa 2011) and about 4 times more powerful than the Athlon 64 3200+(since it is a K8U-X board this would be a socket 754 chip, circa 2004 though they stayed in production for low-end systems until around 2008) the K8U-X is also a bit of an odd-ball with a ULI chipset (by the socket 754 era ULI chipsets were rare) so driver availability may be an issue. Emachines aren't know for the best quality but that one is from the Acer era so it shouldn't be too terrible (really only the pre-Gateway Emachines with the Bestec ATX-250E PSUs are exceptionally failure prone, the later ones don't seem to be any worse than most other low-end mass-market PCs).

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
        The Athlon II x2 250 is much newer (socket AM3, circa 2011) and about 4 times more powerful than the Athlon 64 3200+(since it is a K8U-X board this would be a socket 754 chip, circa 2004 though they stayed in production for low-end systems until around 2008) the K8U-X is also a bit of an odd-ball with a ULI chipset (by the socket 754 era ULI chipsets were rare) so driver availability may be an issue. Emachines aren't know for the best quality but that one is from the Acer era so it shouldn't be too terrible (really only the pre-Gateway Emachines with the Bestec ATX-250E PSUs are exceptionally failure prone, the later ones don't seem to be any worse than most other low-end mass-market PCs).
        thanks dmill89; i've tested both and you're right Athlon II x2 250 is much better i guess i keep it for parts , power sup,fans, and it has 1 ATX HDD and 1 Sata HDD drives,VGA Video card and a KDS 19'' hd monitor and connections.
        Last edited by ivtec; 09-21-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X