This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello everyone! I've used this forum a few times for information, but this is the first time I'll need to post. I've never bought a TV in my life, I've always upcycled others TVs they throw out. Just the little things to help our trash-filled world.

Comment

Ive been a computer nerd since the 90s but never really got into forums much. That time has ended. I have since started up an Apple Sales/service business in Brooksville, Florida that after a year and a half has really started kicking in gear. I am SO SO TIRED of sending stuff out to so called logic board repair shops, waiting weeks and weeks for stuff to come back. When we have people like on this board, and people like Rossmann who give their time to teach the craft, (and earn a few pennies on YouTube!) ... its time for the madness to stop. I dont have the best equipment, but ive been buying stuff here and there, so Im doing board work myself. I wont be working on good equipment, but starting off fixing basic stuff. As I have a large supply of apple parts and equipment, hit me up if you need anything apple.

Comment

Hi everyone. Hoping to use this site to fix my Sharp Aquos TV. I've been working on electronics for a long time and hope to get a few hints to start me off.

Comment

Hi All. I'm a 56yo computer, communications, and electronics engineer in Brisbane Australia. I started out on Z80, 6502, & 8080 based systems in the late seventies, and learnt programming on PDP11-23 and HP3000 (languages and operating systems as dead as latin). I was a level3 technician with Apple when the MACINTOSH was launched, and had repaired 'LISA's before it. Monitors were either Green or Amber, Floppies were 8" and stored about 80Kb. I've "saved" to cassette tape, and can even remember repairing punch and mark sense card readers. The changes I've seen in 40 years....
          Anyway, slowing down over the holiday break, I thought I'd make a start on a growing pile of monitors and TVs accumulating in my shed(workshop), and searching for a Samsung circuit diagram, I stumbled back into this forum. It looks to be a friendly and active community, so I might stick around for a while...

Comment

hai bro,
            saya ada masalah dengan laptop lenovo G485, permasalahan ada di chip terlalu panas, saya ingin mencari ic kipasnya untuk menjumpernya..

Comment

Hello from France.

Comment

Hi everyone. First i wish to say happy holidays to all members. My name is Nikola and i am from Serbia. I'am electrical engineer but in free time i fix all kind of electronics. And i hope that Badcaps forums can help me to get better in job. Also i'am happy to provide other members with schematic and boardview files if they don't have them
                already. I wish all you have productive year (business and personal).

Comment

Happy New Year! I'm a computer tech living in western Canada. I want to add component repairs to my skill set. I'm looking forward to learning so much from this site.

Comment

New Members

Hi I'm Nhlanhla from south Africa, I need help with my laptop Acer aspire 3
                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 01-04-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thank you for letting me join the forum. I am from the Philadelphia area and am more of a novice at soldering and repairing electronics. I have a strong belief that while people throw too many electronics away for simple reasons, I try to salvage and repair these items for myself. I have had some success, but still have a long way to go.

I am a computer programmer by trade and have been building my own systems for more than 20 years. The last frontier is rather than just replacing circuit boards, I want to go fully to the next level and repair them. I want to intimately know and achieve zen doing this kind of stuff. Here is to a new year and a new level in what I hope to be a something that more people should know.

Comment

Hi folks... Richard from Yorkshire in UK.

Been into electronics since I was about nine or ten, taking stuff to bits to see how it works, and making stuff like radio's from analogue kits. I got into (much easier) digital stuff at school in the 80's with Apple IIe and BBC Micro which fascinated me (especially EcoNet, the FDD, the 300 baud modem and BBS'es). Sadly the scrolling text based "Scramble" like game and the "EcoNet sniffer" I wrote for my CS project didn't make me rich and famous :-(

My first home computer was a Dragon32 (like a Welsh version of Tandy TRS80 CoCo), but also messed around with Sinclair ZX80,ZX81,ZXSpectrum and VIC20/C64, and designed/made fun little HW projects for them (including a speech synth for the Dragon using an SP256AL I got from the Tandy's bargain bin because the staff didn't know what it was for Speech at that point was super cool because TRON/GORF in the arcades ;-)

My first electronics job was working for a company that bought thousands of faulty ZX Spectrums, Acorn Electrons, Atari 520ST and Amigas from UK high street store returns, and fixed them up to sell through school computer clubs. I have no idea how many soldered in RAM/CPU's I replaced in that time but it was a lot (I used to get through about 15 machines per day for 2 years, some of which needed full RAM replacements). Thats when I learned about all the shitty tricks manufacturers used to keep margins tight (eg. a batch of machines with half bad RAM chips soldered piggyback style to make good ones).

After that I moved into telecoms and networks with a bit of radio work thrown in, then through into, computer infrastructure, call centre infrastructure, software engineering, and finally into enterprise architecture.

Now I work for a (10yo) DevOps startup doing infrastructure as code, but a side hobby of home automation with RaspPi/Arduino stuff has re-ignited my interest in electronics and I've started brushing up my SMT skills and experimenting with the new interesting chips on the market. Things are much smaller now, so I bought a microscope to see what I'm doing, which means I can also dabble with small Macbook and iPhone repairs which turn out to be quite fun.

Comment

electronics is cool, guys, now let me answer a post

Comment

hi all

Comment

Hi! Just joined the forum to get help on repairing a B&W Zeppelin!

Comment

Hello Badcaps. I have hopes to find useful information here.
                                Greetings for everybody on this forum.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                  Just basically a DIYer.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I am from Germany and found this forum via Paul Daniels OpenBoardView. I am watching a lot of his videos as well as those from Louis Rossmann. Now I am going to try my first MacBook repair with some A1502s which I bought from eBay.

Hope to learn a lot here as well.

Comment

hello to all the board repairer around the world! im excited and nervous im a newbie

Comment

Hi all,

all the best for the New Year

Comment

Hello all, my name is John, and I live in beautiful British Columbia, Victoria, A.K.A., Vancouver Island, Canada. In 2017 I took on a project of restoring and old 80’ Robotron (https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_d...p?game_id=9347 ) arcade game for a games room I wanted to create for my family. I new nothing about electronics so, I started to Google my way through it and about six months later I got the game up and running. Well as you could guess I got another game that didn’t work for cheap and got that running within only a few months…and another game, and another game…. I now have eight games up and running and a few more in the line waiting for my to repair them. One thing that I noticed is that the old CRTs always needs to be worked on/loved because, they work so hard, compared to the game board. As a result I became very interested on working on CRTs. I now have a little more knowledge on electronics. Working on arcade games has turned into a hobby and I’ve also started to work on flat screens, stereos, power supplies and other stuff I come across. I’m really enjoying this hobby. I’ve found that test gear is not that expensive. Some of my favorite equipment is my Sencore CM2125 test path generator, Sencore HA2500 horizontal analyzer, Sencore AC isolation transformers (I have the PR57 and PR570), and an old oscilloscope. OK, I’ve turned into a Sencore fanboy..lol

I just received a MESR 100 ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...-by-_jingyan_/ )meters (for testing ESR within electrolytic capacitors) for Christmas - one feature that a lot of people are talking about is that this meter can break a ohm to 0.001 of an ohm, so it works well for finding short circuits as well. I started to search for finding a short circuit, and I came across this site. After looking around I’ve concluded that this site is quite awesome and does relate to my hobby and the knowledge I’m seeking.

I’ve really enjoyed reading books and articles from:
                                          >Randy Fromm; https://www.randyfromm.com
                                          >Jestine Youg; https://jestineyong.com

>I also frequent the KLOV (https://forums.arcade-museum.com) site and think that site is amazing as well

>Some of my favorite You Tubers are but, not limited to:
                                          >>Arcade Jason
                                          >>Randy Fromm
                                          >>Electronics repair school
                                          >>Grants Pass TV Repair
                                          >>12voltvids
                                          >>MattyMo's Arcade
                                          >>EEVblog
                                          >>Mr Carlson's Lab

Comment

Working...
                                          X