Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying an ATX power supply to output 25 on oen of the connector pins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying an ATX power supply to output 25 on oen of the connector pins.

So, to explain myself here, I want to take an ATX power supply and among some other modifications, mod it so that one of the pins on the 24 pin connector outputs +25v while on standby and powered up. Is this going to be an uphill struggle or would it be fairly straightforward?

The reason for me wanting to do this is because I have a PowerMac G4 (or to be more specific, a 2003 Mirror Drive Door) with an Cinema HD Display plugged into it's ADC port - these monitors don't have a separate PSU, they are instead powered through the ADC connector by the Mac. Thing is, these Macs are notorious for having PSU issues and failures and it seems mine has developed such an issue with its PSU. It does still work, but recently it just doesn't like driving the Apple Cinema HD Display I have plugged into it and won't turn on when it's plugged in. I have to fiddle around to get it to work with the monitor plugged in.

I figure if the PSU is on the way out it's only a matter of time before it dies completely anyway (it is afterall around 13 years old) so I'd like to replace the PSU. However replacement PSU's for these Macs are usually ridiculously expensive and it's cheaper by a long way to do an ATX conversion, and it's actually fairly straight forward to do an ATX conversion so it works in one of these Macs. The only problem with that is of course doing so means I'll lose the 25v power to the ADC connector rendering my monitor useless, hence my question here. It doesn't look like anyone else that's done an ATX conversion for their Mac has ventured down this avenue, or at least I can't find anything when Googling it.

I'm hopeful that isn't because it's not possible to do.
    Last edited by Xandros; 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM.

Re: Modifying an ATX power supply to output 25 on oen of the connector pins.

Use a DC>DC converter to go from 12v > 24v
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

That doesn't seem too complicated when you put that simply, but upon googling for potential parts I'm wondering if perhaps I'm a little out of my depth with that. Maybe I'd be better off for starters seeing if the old PSU has a bad cap or two and replacing them first (I did look, none appear to be bulged or leaking but I suppose that isn't concrete evidence they're OK).

Comment

how much current?

just go to DX or banggood and search "boost convertor"

Comment

I've got a feeling it's 4 amps. Those boost converters look more promising.

Comment

that will have to come from the 12v line.
            and dont trust the sellers power ratings.
            if you need 4A - buy one that claims 8A
            you may get them cheaper on ebay btw.

Comment

I got a couple old power supplies that run 24dc from printers. It has a barrel connector and you can find the suitable female for it to plug into. This way the monitor runs off that and the atx runs the puter. Then no need to modify a atx psu. I highly doubt 1 volt off will make a difference. And these have high amperage. Just cover postage 6.50 to throw it in a bubble mailer and its yours.

I dont want nothing other than that. Just pay it forward to the next man on the forum is all.

You want to go uber crazy I also just found a 40v dc power supply fir a old antenna rotator. The kind that rotates the good ole rabbit years on the pole. It boasts 80 watss of power and has screw terminals. I tried to power some hdtv leds last night and burn baby burnn.

So maybe that will help ya, let me know.

Just noticed you in england, the flat rate usps priority mailer is 16.00 i think overseas..not sure. I know its 6.50 in the states.
              Last edited by ozzy214; 06-11-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

he would need 240v input

Comment

yup, 240 to anything 120 would burn hotter than the sun...
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

My bad, I keep forgetting we use 110v here and 220v there. Why is that anyway? I know they stop using dc, because voltage dropped over distance. But why the change with that?

Comment

higher voltage = lower current = thinner cables.
                      (but better insulation)

Comment

Originally posted by ozzy214 View Post
                        My bad, I keep forgetting we use 110v here and 220v there. Why is that anyway? I know they stop using dc, because voltage dropped over distance. But why the change with that?
                        it's cheaper to transport higher voltage / smaller cables less metal = less cost.

I always am wow when I watch a usa electrician say that they are changing there 100 amp panel (11.5KW) to a 200 amp panel(22KW).

Here 200 amps @ 230v is 46kw

most house services here are 60amp @ 230v so 13.8Kw
                        My pc
                        CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                        MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                        RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                        PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                        GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Bridge 2 of the 12V lines together and put a 1V 4.7mfd capacitor in series with the 2 bridged 12V lines.
                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

that's not likely to work, most psu's only have one 12v output internally.
                            (regardless of the rubbish printed on the label)

Comment

That's true . All the yellow wires (the 12v ) , are soldered together in one pack , and so is the red (the 5v +) ..

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                Bridge 2 of the 12V lines together and put a 1V 4.7mfd capacitor in series with the 2 bridged 12V lines.
                                Even if it has actual two seperated 12V PS, What is the purpose of putting 4.7uF 1V in SERIES with the two 12VDC PS?
                                Last edited by budm; 09-08-2016, 10:52 PM.
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                X