Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbone powers on for 3 seconds and then powers off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbone powers on for 3 seconds and then powers off.

I picked up a used original Xbox one (1540) and it's not powering on properly. It comes on with the normal sound and light, but after 3 seconds, it shuts down. The power supply appears to be working properly, so I opened up the console and cleaned it thoroughly. That made no difference. While it was apart, I noticed that the cooling fan slightly "bumped" when power first came on but it doesn't actually spin at all. I tried turning it on while manually spinning the fan with compressed air, in case there is an rpm sensor that wasn't being satisfied to keep it powered up, but no joy.

I checked for power at the mainboard plug that supplies the fan and I got 12vdc during the short time that the power was actually on. Next, I pulled the fan out, put it on my bench and separated the fan assembly and circuit board from the fan surround and bearings. I have continuity from the mainboard plug to the fan circuit card on all 4 wires, so I inspected the circuit card for any obvious damage and when I didn't find any, I reflowed all the components that were diode size or bigger just in case. I didn't want to reflow anything smaller in case I ended up knocking off some of the really small components on there.

My next "guess" is to buy a replacement fan and see if that fixes it, but I wanted to get some more info first, seeing as this is my first experience at all with this system.

-Is the fan supposed to start spinning immediately?

-Has anyone else had this problem, specifically 3 seconds on and then shutdown, and if so, did replacing the fan fix the problem? There are a number of forums that address no power at all or power shutting down after a few minutes or later, but very little even mentioning the few seconds on scenario.

-Has anyone fixed this particular problem any other way?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Xbone powers on for 3 seconds and then powers off.

Have you checked the ics and rectifiers ect under the heatsink and check all the capacitors these boards love to pop them

Comment

Originally posted by F0ZZYB3ATZ View Post
      Have you checked the ics and rectifiers ect under the heatsink and check all the capacitors these boards love to pop them
      The Xbox one has solid/polymer caps around the CPU. Not gonna find those popped without the CPU/GPU cooked to death.

As to the O/P's problem...
      test the fan in a PC or on a breadboard. It's probably just a standard 4-pin PWM fan. Just find which pin is ground and which is 12V. Then you can worry about finding the PWM pin by pulling it down to ground through a 1 KOhm resistor - this should make the fan not turn or turn very slowly. Pulling the PWM pin to 12V through the same resistor should make it go to full speed. If the fan does these things, it's probably fine.

That said, I'm putting my money that it's *not* the fan that is bad. Probably something else, though I'm not sure what to suggest, exactly. Knowing how bad the cooling was in the Xbox 360, I can probably put my money on bad BGA. But I'll let others with more experience on the Xbox One speak here.
      Last edited by momaka; 11-07-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Hello Twithers,
        Is the X-Box you have the first consoles manufactured by Micro$oft?
        From memory, they were released mid 2004 or 2005 are the ones I mean.
        Regards,
        Relayer

Comment

I read up some on this when I had a failed xbox one with an unrelated problem.

I remember that many had failed Southbridge ic's, can't remember if it was the actual ic or bga solder as momaka suggests.

Hang tight there's sure to be someone here with more knowledge on this.

Comment

Working...
          X