Intel D865GLC AA C28906-410 Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel D865GLC AA C28906-410 Recap

This is a story of my eBay purchase that didn't go as planned. I recently won an Intel D865GCL that worked well when received, but I did notice something odd about the board.
    It was recapped before and very poorly at that. Caps C3C3, C2C2, and C2C3 seemed to be the wrong replacements.

C3C3 8mm 470uf 16v 105c
    C2C2 8mm 470uf 16v 105c
    C2C3 10mm 1000uf 16v 85c

Mind you, even though the board booted and ran fine for now, I didn't know how long it would last. So I replaced the three with some 8mm MBZ 820uf 6.3v that I had leftover from a D865GBF recap.

Did I do the right thing; I haven't booted it up yet.

Thanks all…

Last edited by MegaOne302; 05-09-2009, 09:23 PM.
    Does an idiot make a sound if no one’s there to hear them talk?

Re: Intel D865GLC AA C28906-410 Recap

I think you're going to have clearance issues with the heatsink/fan using those 3 caps. I'd go with the solid polymer type there and do all 9 of them in either 560uF or 680uF @ 4v.

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

16v ??
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Yup. Never mind that poly cap replacement suggestion.

That's the way the board is made with the 3 tall caps. Test the voltage on them to show they don't exceed 5 volts. Otherwise, change them to the voltage specs (16v) that were there.

Gateway... :p

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

I have a second revision D865GLC (like you) and I have a few random electrolytic caps among the solid polymer ones too.
          When I received the board I checked whether it was a recap and I believed that it was too perfect for it to be done by hand by someone with a soldering iron.

Add to that, I have seen numerous pictures on the net of D865GLC motherboards with a few electrolytic caps among solid polymer caps.

I believe that the second revision of the D865GLC motherboard has a few electrolytic capacitors there by design (no idea why thou). I believe the first revision of this motherboard had the classic Nichicon HM(N) capacitor problem.

Comment

Shadow-

Can you visually check the 3 caps there and report their labeled voltages?

Cheers!
            Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

its common to find a mix of caps on vcore of intel boards. usually some mcz 6.3v 820uf amongst chemicon polymer or fujitsu or oscon sepc
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                Otherwise, change them to the voltage specs (16v) that were there.
                I don't think 16v caps belong there. The other caps in that line read 2.5v 680uf; maybe the 6.3v was over kill? I will do volt tests on the whole line and post them later today.

Thanks for all your help guys...

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
                  I have seen numerous pictures on the net of D865GLC motherboards with a few electrolytic caps among solid polymer caps.
                  Yes, I have a D865GBF that has the three e-caps among sp-caps. They are MCZ 820uf 6.3v 105c @ C3C3, C2C2, and C2C3.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                    its common to find a mix of caps on vcore of intel boards. usually some mcz 6.3v 820uf
                    will I be ok with the MBZ 6.3v 820uf e-caps as replacements to MCZ 6.3v 820uf e-caps?

Comment

yeah
                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                        yeah
                        Thanks, I'm going to do the volt tests now. It just took me some time to rig up the remote power and reset switches.

Comment

Here's the voltage testing result for all 8mm and 10mm caps (all are 105c).

Note that 10mm e-caps reads 10.17mm (this is an old cap)

Note that 8mm e-caps reads 8.17mm (this is a new cap)

Note that 8mm sp-caps reads 7.97mm (this is an old cap)

ID – Type - Size - Model - Voltage - uf Rating - Voltage test reading

C7H7 e-cap 10mm MHZ 10v 2200uf @ 5.09v
                          C6G1 e-cap 8mm MCZ 6.2v 820uf @ 2.61v
                          C1G1 e-cap 8mm MCZ 6.2v 820uf @ 1.29v
                          C4B2 e-cap 10mm KZE 16v 1200uf @ 11.94v
                          C4B3 e-cap 10mm KZE 16v 1200uf @ 11.94v
                          C3B2 e-cap 10mm KZE 16v 1200uf @ 11.93v
                          C2B1 e-cap 10mm KEZ 16v 1200uf @ 11.93v

All these caps are right next to the CPU slot in a row with no spacing.

C4C2 sp-cap 8mm NA 2.5v 680uf @ 1.34v
                          C4C3 sp-cap 8mm NA 2.5v 680uf @ 1.34v
                          C3C1 sp-cap 8mm NA 2.5v 680uf @ 1.34v
                          C3C2 sp-cap 8mm NA 2.5v 680uf @ 1.34v
                          C3C3 e-cap 8mm MBZ 6.3v 820uf @ 1.34v (Replaced)
                          C2C1 sp-cap 8mm NA 2.5v 680uf @ 1.34v
                          C2C2 e-cap 8mm MBZ 6.3v 820uf @ 1.34v (Replaced)
                          C2C3 e-cap 8mm MBZ 6.3v 820uf @ 1.34v (Replaced)
                          C1C2 sp-cap 8mm NA 2.5v 680uf @ 1.34v
                          C1C3 sp-cap 8mm NA 2.5v 680uf @ 1.34v

My next tests will be under load.

Comments, question, and suggestions are welcome.

Comment

All voltage reading was done with a 350w PSU with the 4 pins, a P4 478 3.0HT 800/1mb CPU with fan & heat-sink, and 1GB 2x512mb of memory installed (no drives or cards).

Comment

i have seen many intel boards with a mix of polys and lytics but your assumtion that it was recapped is correct and those replacements it came with are not proper vrm output caps.
                              your mbz's will be fine.
                              beat it up with memtest and mprime.if ok run it.

Comment

Did that right! Thank you!

That three substitutes that was in there were not correct.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The 16v wouldn't have hurt anything but you definitely don't want an 85c cap in there.

Looks like they were paranoid about going down to 470uF [which probably would have been fine with polys in place of 820uF Lytics] and so they added the 1000uF 85c to beef up the total uF.

There are 6-8 ways you could go to fix it.
                                  Your choice was good.
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                                    Shadow-

Can you visually check the 3 caps there and report their labeled voltages?

Cheers!
                                    Toast
                                    Can do.

I will be replacing my heatsink and fan setup soon. When I get the equipment I will open the PC up and check the capacitors that I have there.

Comment

My second voltage tests are complete.

All cap voltages were identical to my previous testing; expect for the four 10mm KZE 16v 1200uf e-caps, C4B2, C4B3, C3B2, C2B1 right next to CPU.

10mm KZE 16v 1200uf tested @ 11.94v (with no hard drive previous testing)
                                      10mm KZE 16v 1200uf tested @ 12.09v (logged in to windows)
                                      10mm KZE 16v 1200uf tested @ 12.04v (running mem-test 86+)

From what I've found from the testing, it looks like the only place the board needs 16v caps are at C4B2, C4B3, C3B2, and C2B1.

I still don't know how heat would affect the voltage readings.
                                      Last edited by MegaOne302; 05-11-2009, 10:47 PM.

Comment

From the readings you took, it looks as though my initial comment (about the 4v polys) in post #2 would be okay.

Toast
                                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                        X