Dell SX270 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell SX270 Question

I have been playing with LCDs for a while but just picked up 3 Dell SX270s that were on the junk heap at work. They all have blown capacitors in them. I am a little leary of substitution since these are more sensitive. The Rubycon MCZ series 6.3V 2200uF are the ones that are killed in all machines with different variations of others that may be blown. Actually, the others were Nichicon HN(M) series.

So, a couple of questions...

First, Topcat sells kits for the SX270 but do I really need to replace all of them? I can't seem to find MCZ but sometimes (like Topcat) the MBZ is available...is there a difference?

I'm in Canada so there is a Canadian version of Digikey but they don't sell Rubycon...any suggestions for replacements?

I was going to replace both 2200uF 6.3V caps in each, 2 of the 1800uF 16V and a single 1000uF 16V but leave the rest.

Re: Dell SX270 Question

it is ok to substitute one brand for another, and vise versa, one type for another. If you see one blown cap, then it is usually best to replace all caps of that size when replacing the one that is blown. Just because only one is showing problems does not mean that the rest do not have any problems. Sometimes you can get just one bad cap and just replace that one and it be OK. An example is if there is one cap in the output flow of air from the processor that has gone bad but the rest are no where near the processor and all seem fine. excessive heat constantly blowing on a cap can make it go bad faster. but that is also on the condition that they are all good name brand caps. If they are a cheap or bad brand, then always best to replace them all of that kind.

when it comes to different types (rubycon MCZ vs MBZ), they will both work. The MBZ series from what i am told is better, but both will work. The important thing to remember is when you get them, make sure that it is a good brand and low esr, which most if not all motherboard caps are.

Comment

Locally, I can get the Nichicon HM series or Panasonic FM series caps. The HM says that they are suitable for motherboards but I didn't find a similar claim on the Panasonic, although, it is their low ESR cap. Thoughts or experience with these?

Comment

I do not have a lot of experience with either of them but from what i have read, i do believe that the Panasonic FM series would be better. I have mainly used rubycons myself, but have not done it long enough to really give any experience from myself.. If you want it from experience, hopefully someone else that has used both of them can answer. I can say that both are good brands though and i do believe that either would work.. and both, the panasonic FM and the Nichicon HM, are low esr caps..

Comment

Working...
        X