X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell SX280 "Phrizbee" MOBO Recap?

Originally posted by lcdman View Post
    Hello All Yet Again,

Does anyone have a schematic or better yet a capacitor list for this entire board? Also what about the difference in value between the "poly" caps and electrolytic caps? Can someone explain why they're not the same? Are there better brands to use as with the electrolytic capacitors?

Have A Great Rest Of Your Weekend,
    lcdman
    Full poly SX280:
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is another pic of my mad max SX-280, fully Pollies and SSD. Still have to figure out where to mount the SSD and additional 40mm fan for extra cooling.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dell didn't replace all of the 6.3v 2200uFs with polies or the 16v 1500uFs on this one. Came back for 2nd failure of those caps they skipped. Probably didn't help that the machine had all of the vents jammed 100% with dust.[/QUOTE]

Yup pretty much what I've seen here with regards to the ones that Dell had repaired. Thay should have done all the 2200Uf 6.3v.

I've got one here that needs repair for the 2200ufs caps that Dell didn't change.

In fact I just put in an order here for the necessary parts for the sx280 and a kit for a precision 650. If that one works then I'll order a second kit for the other 650. They've both been sitting here not working. I might switch it in to replace the IBM workstation wich has a 10k SCSI and P4 since this has 15K SCSI and Xeon.

Comment

interesting that the 2200uFs near the memory almost never die after a regular wet recap. Wonder if its something about the polies they used that causes them to go bad. most of the Dell recaps come back with these blown but none of my ruby recaps have.

Comment

Just one question, on this thread and many others here i keep seeing term recap. Can somebody explain what it means exactly. I figure that's changing capacitors but does this mean to change only electrolytic capacitors or all of them (even smd-s which would be quite a job )?

Comment

No, it means only the through-hole electrolytics, and then only the ones that need to be changed.

A Polymer Re-Cap is where the electrolytic capacitors are replaced with Polymer capacitors... This is done is cramped cases which do not adequately vent their heat. Using polymers extends the life of the machine by giving it the capability to tolerate more abuse from heat.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

As i suspected. Thanks

Comment

so what values are the poly's I have come across about 10 machines i can get for free to re cap and want to figure if the price is worth it.

Bruferrit

Comment

Working...
                  X