Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was given a "broken" Dell XPS 410 (9200) and want to re-cap and get running again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was given a "broken" Dell XPS 410 (9200) and want to re-cap and get running again!

Like the title states I was given a "broken" Dell XPS 410 (9200) because it just randomly would stop working. I figured I was just going to use it for parts since it was still completely intact and pretty well loaded for a "freebie". Brought it home and decided to clean it up instead because it was PACKED full of dust and pet hair. Spent a few hours cleaning, put it back together and BOOM.. it booted right up! Thing seems to run great now that it can breathe but while cleaning I found 1 bad cap. It's a "KZG" 3300uF 6.3v cap right next to a power supply cable if I am not mistaken. I have been doing a bit of research and it seems this is a pretty standard problem with this motherboard. I am no soldering expert, but I am ok at it and it seems like re-capping would be a LOT easier then the last few Nintendo Wii modchips I have installed! . I figured I would just go ahead and replace all of the KZG and KZJ caps that are likely to fail and hopefully this sucker will last a while for me. I have been looking for a place to buy all my replacement parts in one shot and it seems like badcaps is going to be it for me but I just wanted to make sure I am getting what I need to make the repair as I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this. I am not sure on the exact count at this moment but I will do a final when I get a chance so I can make sure I have enough to replace everything (unless someone might have already done this and cares to enlighten me a bit :P).

From what I can tell I will be ok with Nichicon caps.. both in the HZ series. Can anybody confirm my choice? It looks like the 3300uF caps are 10x25mm and the 2200uF caps are 10x20. I don't think that clearance is going to be an issue, but I do see that they also come in a 10x16mm so I am not 100%.

Specs are as follows..

Dell XPS 410 (9200)
    Intel Core 2 Duo (E6600)
    4gig Ram
    500gb HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS

Like I said the computer runs great right now, but I don't want to risk doing further damage so I want to go ahead and replace the bad/soon to be bad caps. It seems like it is going to be an awesome computer for what I need.. Especially since it was a freebie!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again!

Re: Was given a "broken" Dell XPS 410 (9200) and want to re-cap and get running again

HZ will be fine. you're either replacing MCZ or KZG, seen these boards roast both. I've recapped many, they have all recovered...never had a dud.

2200uF
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=137

3300uF
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=142
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Re: Was given a "broken" Dell XPS 410 (9200) and want to re-cap and get running again

Originally posted by mikebdub View Post
      Like the title states I was given a "broken" Dell XPS 410 (9200) because it just randomly would stop working. I figured I was just going to use it for parts since it was still completely intact and pretty well loaded for a "freebie". Brought it home and decided to clean it up instead because it was PACKED full of dust and pet hair. Spent a few hours cleaning, put it back together and BOOM.. it booted right up! Thing seems to run great now that it can breathe but while cleaning I found 1 bad cap. It's a "KZG" 3300uF 6.3v cap right next to a power supply cable if I am not mistaken. I have been doing a bit of research and it seems this is a pretty standard problem with this motherboard. I am no soldering expert, but I am ok at it and it seems like re-capping would be a LOT easier then the last few Nintendo Wii modchips I have installed! . I figured I would just go ahead and replace all of the KZG and KZJ caps that are likely to fail and hopefully this sucker will last a while for me. I have been looking for a place to buy all my replacement parts in one shot and it seems like badcaps is going to be it for me but I just wanted to make sure I am getting what I need to make the repair as I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this. I am not sure on the exact count at this moment but I will do a final when I get a chance so I can make sure I have enough to replace everything (unless someone might have already done this and cares to enlighten me a bit :P).

From what I can tell I will be ok with Nichicon caps.. both in the HZ series. Can anybody confirm my choice? It looks like the 3300uF caps are 10x25mm and the 2200uF caps are 10x20. I don't think that clearance is going to be an issue, but I do see that they also come in a 10x16mm so I am not 100%.

Specs are as follows..

Dell XPS 410 (9200)
      Intel Core 2 Duo (E6600)
      4gig Ram
      500gb HDD
      NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS

Like I said the computer runs great right now, but I don't want to risk doing further damage so I want to go ahead and replace the bad/soon to be bad caps. It seems like it is going to be an awesome computer for what I need.. Especially since it was a freebie!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again!
      not bad for a freebie, definitely sounds worth recapping. just be careful and don't rush the job. through-hole parts are usually nice and easy to fix. oh and if you think wii chips are difficult, you should see some of the PS2 chips that i install :P

Comment

Originally posted by SnowKitteh View Post
        not bad for a freebie, definitely sounds worth recapping. just be careful and don't rush the job. through-hole parts are usually nice and easy to fix. oh and if you think wii chips are difficult, you should see some of the PS2 chips that i install :P
        I have done 2 PS2's in my time.. Definitely not something I would want to do daily! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          HZ will be fine. you're either replacing MCZ or KZG, seen these boards roast both. I've recapped many, they have all recovered...never had a dud.

2200uF
          https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=137

3300uF
          https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=142
          I didn't see any MCZ's on the board.. Maybe I should take another look. All I saw were the KZG's (the 3300's) and the 2200's say KZJ on them. Are there others I should be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by mikebdub View Post
            I didn't see any MCZ's on the board.. Maybe I should take another look. All I saw were the KZG's (the 3300's) and the 2200's say KZJ on them. Are there others I should be looking for?
            They used one or the other, you got KZG's.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

KZGs appear to be common on Dells. Looks like Foxconn often uses them.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
              X