Dell XPS L501X Power Short/Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell XPS L501X Power Short/Issues

XPS L501X, when you plug the power adapter in it immediately shuts the light off on the ac adapter. Computer won't power on at all, can't test with battery due to being dead.

Was working fine then one day just wouldn't come on. Any ideas where to look on the mo-bo for the short?

Re: Dell XPS L501X Power Short/Issues

Originally posted by gijoey198079 View Post
    XPS L501X, when you plug the power adapter in it immediately shuts the light off on the ac adapter. Computer won't power on at all, can't test with battery due to being dead.

Was working fine then one day just wouldn't come on. Any ideas where to look on the mo-bo for the short?
    Take out CPU, see if the short is still there on the main bus. (use a DMM to test the resistance)

Also, take out the battery and see if there is still a short.

Pictures would help us help you greatly!
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Are you sure that power supply has enough power to power on laptop (did you tested it on differrent one)?
      If so looks like you got short in laptop's power managment section. Take magnifying glass and good source of light - look for suspicious parts . Get schematic and measure mosfets in power block.
      Good luck!
      Last edited by gabik111; 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM.
      Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

Pulled battery, cmos battery, and cpu and still cutting the light off on the power adapter as soon as i plug it in. Used 3 different adapters as well same result with all.

Don't know if it matters but the cmos battery was shorted out, no resistance between + / - at all so replaced with new one.

Comment

I have solved the same problem with dell laptops, this is what u do, put the cpu on the mobo and use a digital multimeter to test if there is short on the 10uF ceramic caps after that remove the cpu again and check if there is still short on them and get back to me

Comment

Still have the short with and without cpu in on the caps.

Comment

okay then it is just one of the caps that is gone bad, u need to get a picture of your board and i will show u where exactly to look, but u can start by removing all the 10uF ceramic caps, untill you can read any short again, but do not remove all of them at a time, do it one after the other and keep testing whiles your are removing, also put the ones you remove back before removing the next one

Comment

Sorry let me rephrase that, i didn't find a short on the caps but am kinda new to working with laptops, more use to tvs and large capacitors. If I upload a pic can you help me out, really need to try and fix cause even ebay wants $200 for a used board.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by gijoey198079; 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM. Reason: added photos

Comment

Upload pics of the board and lets see.........

Comment

Know anywhere to get a schematic of the board?

Comment

you should check all the places i have marked red, those are 10uF ceramic caps, check them all for short, put your multimeter in diode test mode for this.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by bluestone; 01-10-2013, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
                        you should check all the places i have marked red, those are 10uF ceramic caps, check them all for short, put your multimeter in diode test mode for this.
                        Has anyone tried this? I have 100% the same problem, but is new at fixing hardware on component level. dont even know were to get them this small

Comment

need help, please.
                          I changed 5 capacitors, it worked, the system has started but working only on battery.
                          system won't work on dc power and it is not charging the battery,
                          what could be the problem? charged capacitors? or other piece to change?
                          am waiting for an answer, please!

Comment

needhelp, please.
                            I changed5 capacitors,it worked,the systemhas startedbutworkingonly on battery.
                            systemwon't work on dc powerand it is notcharging the battery,
                            what couldbe the problem?charged capacitors?or other pieceto change?
                            am waitingfor an answer,please!

Comment

Sorry let me rephrase that, i didn't find a short on the caps but am kinda new to working with laptops, more use to tvs and large capacitors. If I upload a pic can you help me out, really need to try and fix cause even ebay wants $200 for a used board.
                              Didn't you check 19v. in dc jack input?
                              And what about 3,3 and 5 volts pwm circuit?

Comment

I agree with Francisco.s, when plug in charger is short? if short, means the 19v lines are short. if not short track 19v okay. when press button on / off her short, the problem in power ic line vCore (PCU). can of mosfet in the cpu. try to check one by one.

Comment

its a common with dell. normally caps gets shorted with ground.check one by one with mm to trace out........

Comment

I think battery is dead due to a short-circuit in 19 volts line. (in some way, is the same line that battery line)

Comment

Hi, i have the same issue, the battery light was flashing when i hit the power button (although there was not battary plugged in), and its a laptop that suffered a failed battery.

Hence i think theirs something in the 19v line around the charging circuit that's causing the issue, checking voltage in areas around there, there are voltage droops to around 10v (activity dropping when measured)

Im a rookie to all this component level repair, any ideas what could be the culprate, could solve OP's issue possibly too.

Comment

Can you explain "diode test mode". I have checked resistances for all the caps in picture and the two above the memory seem to be open whereas all the rest have no resistance. Does that mean these two are bad? Where can I get these caps? They are labeled PC 156 and PC 161 on MB. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X