Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My recapped VP6 is acting weird.

What the hell is this about?

This is from the Via Hardware Monitor located here: http://www.vp6-board.com/download.htm

Too high for what? Core voltage is set to 1.75 volts in bios.

And what exactly does 'VCC3' stand for?

Could something else be wrong with this recapped 'Non-working' board?

Re: My recapped VP6 is acting weird.

It's the crappy little PowMan supply i have connected to it, isn't it?

http://www.yak.net/fqa/237.html
    how do i setup lm_sensors on an abit vp6 mobo?
    13. now you need to edit the config file for sensrs, /etc/sensors.conf. Here is what you need to put in it:

chip "via686a-*"
    label "2.0V" "CPU core"
    label "2.5V" "+2.5V"
    label "3.3V" "I/O"
    label "5.0V" "+5V"
    label "12V" "+12V"
    label fan1 "CPU1 Fan"
    label fan2 "CPU2 Fan"
    label temp1 "CPU1 Temp"
    label temp2 "CPU2 Temp"
    label temp3 "SBr Temp"
    set in0_min 2.0
    set in0_max 2.5
    set temp1_hyst 55
    set temp1_over 65
    set temp2_hyst 55
    set temp2_over 65
    set temp3_hyst 60
    set temp3_over 65

Comment

is that powerman(fortron) or powmax?
      powmax=junk.
      your pics are not showing up.
      not unusual for sensor data to be wrong.
      is the board stable?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
        is that powerman(fortron) or powmax?
        powmax=junk.
        your pics are not showing up.
        not unusual for sensor data to be wrong.
        is the board stable?
        It's the junk one i think......Powmax. I'm certain it was abbreviated.

It's NOT the one with a picture of a guy flexing his muscles.

As for the pictures not showing up, the pic was hosted on Imageshack. I cant see them either right now.

I just tried to rehost and they cant seem to find the pic on their own server.
        Last edited by gastorgrab; 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM.

Comment

It seems to run stable but i wanted to load windows and run it a while before i attempt to turn it into a file server. I could only dig up 128 Meg of RAM and i don't want to buy more until i know that everything is working.

The video card is a 8meg AGP 2x and it probably makes it look slower than it actually is.

Comment

Replace all Powmax power supplies with high-quality replacements. I have heard many bad things about Powmax PSUs, so I believe they are worse than DEER power supplies.
            Powmax supplies last for days (or hours!), and DEER supplies usually last for a few months. I wouldn't use a Powmax supplies at all for servers, even if it was their long 300W ATX blue redundant (yeah right) PSU.

Putting a quality PSU should clear instability problems caused by the Powmax PSU.

In 2004, I recapped a QDI Advance 3 Super Socket 7 motherboard. I hooked it up to a generic 250W PSU. That board never ran very stable. At the time I thought is was some unknown fault in the motherboard. Now, looking at this thread, makes me start to believe that the cheap PSU I used caused its instability problems.

I already have given away that QDI board to someone with K6-2 450MHz CPU, and they thrashed it months later, so I can't prove it was the PSU.
            Last edited by Newbie2; 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM.
            My gaming PC:
            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I uploaded the pic again.

The power supply i'm using is only temporary. It's a micro ATX and it's what i had around at the time.

The Enhance PSU is supposed to arrive today to replace the Antec unit i'm having trouble with in another machine. I planned to crack open the Antec supply to see if there anything aparently wrong with it before i install into the VP6...............or replace it altogether if there is something unrepairable.

--edit--

Correction; The Enhance Power Supply AND my new power supply tester should arrive today.
              Last edited by gastorgrab; 08-09-2007, 02:30 PM.

Comment

This is the tester that just arrived, and if it can be trusted the Enhance Power Supply scores alot better than the PowMax.

None of the readings of the PowMax supply were spec. They were all somewhere close. Who knows what they are when the load varies.

The Enhance Power Supply matched every single spec.

....but there is no 2.5v measurement on this thing. I guess if i get curious enough i could always buy a ATX entension and tap into it.

I'll hook it up to the Antec a bit later and post the results.

Comment

The Antec power supply reads similar to, but not as bad as the PowMax.

The squeal isn't present with the tester connected?????? Not as much load as the motherboard maybe?

I pulled off the cover but nothing seems obviously wrong. The large caps, two of them, each have a plastic cover. Is this to minimise splatter when they explode? (Fuhjyyu)

When i run my finger across the tops they feel slightly crested. This from a part i bought earlier this year. (820uf, 200v)

I can see three Teapos (i think) and all the rest are Fuhjyyu. One looks a little tall for it's rated value (3300uf, 6.3v) and is jammed against one of the coils. Could this be the source of the noise?

pics to follow.......

Comment

After browsing a few pics of known good caps in the gallery here i'm not convinced that the large caps are crested at all.

The die marks that form the vent on the tops of these caps can create a slight shape to the top surface.

Comment

the large primary caps have a disk shrinkwrapped to the top for insulation.
                      sometimes these bulge.
                      if you can push it flat easily no problem.if the bulge is hard the cap is bad.
                      as for the squealing antec a full recap is needed.
                      the noise is caused when the output caps on +5stby fail.
                      since there are fuhkkyu inside just recap it.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                        as for the squealing antec a full recap is needed.
                        Thats all that counts then.

-----------------------

I installed the Antec PSU into the VP6 case and its not squealing..........presently. The Athlon64 it was powering before had a much larger set of peripherals to power.

I don't know if i feel like digging into it though. It gets a little frustrating when you spend a little more to get a higher quality part................and then find out you bought the same old crap after all.

I looked up a review of the Thermaltake TR2 cheapie i bought a year ago. It's filled with Teapo caps instead of the F@&!-You's. I might just pick up another one.

Dad's machine now has the Enhance 400 watt supply. I hope i'm done working on it.

Comment

I have a recapped VP6 with the same "2.5v is too high!!!" using an Antec 500W SamrtPower 2.0. The unit runs fine, no squeals, although the CPU's run hot. Is this VIA monitor alert something I should be concerned about?

Comment

Originally posted by pvideo
                            I have a recapped VP6 with the same "2.5v is too high!!!" using an Antec 500W SamrtPower 2.0. The unit runs fine, no squeals, although the CPU's run hot. Is this VIA monitor alert something I should be concerned about?
                            I'm convinced that mine is recirculating the hot exhaust air.

When i direct a 120mm fan and the two 70mm fans the CPU temperature is fine. The problem is that it's getting hard to find a decent P3 cooler these days.

I seem to have a lot of dust in my house. The Therlmalright SK6+ works fine for a while but the narrow gaps between the fins get clogged quickly. It would be nice if a 80mm fan would fit because then i could install a heatsink with relatively wide gaps between the fins while still providing enough airflow.

I'm currently looking for a cheaper offer of these;

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...roducts_id=188

The fans on these coolers don't give an accurate RPM reading but when you spin them at full speed they're almost silent.

Comment

I choose to ignore the '2.5v is too higher !!' message until i see a problem with the functionality of the system. After a Google search, the problem it seems is quite common.
                              Last edited by gastorgrab; 08-17-2007, 05:14 PM.

Comment

gastorgrab; why not install an air filter then so the dust does not get into the case in the first place?
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by gastorgrab
                                  The problem is that it's getting hard to find a decent P3 cooler these days.
                                  Well AMD Socket A processors have exactly the same physical dimensions as the P3's in the socket format. I would say that it would be perfectly safe to install a heatsink designed for Socket A processors on a P3.

Having said this Socket A has been dead for a while and obtaining a nice heatsink for those processors may be just as difficult as getting one designed for a P3.

Comment

Yup.

What i meant by that is that only larger coolers seem to be abundant.......coolers that may not fit if i have to use two of them.

The cheap MassCool coolers i have on there now use 70mm fans, and at the closest point there is only 13-14mm space between the two fans.

Comment

Let us know if you find some different heat sinks with fans that fit the P3. The intel heatsink clips that came with the CPUs are really flimsy and I broke one--can't seem to find any replacements, so have made do.

Comment

I Ordered a Thermaltake TR2 430watt supply. It should arrive tomorrow.

A review of this budget part makes it look like it could last a few years.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332/5

Last edited by gastorgrab; 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X