Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heres the deal.

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
    Eh. Poor stuff makes you want to give up on what you do.

It is sad to see people use cheap-shit irons, had to sand down the tip to make solder adhere to it. And afterwards it was moderately good to use.

But compared to 45W weller ... It is junk.

Also. Spending 20$ on an iron and then 40$ on a new one is throwing those 20$ away or buying 40$ iron for 60$ ...

Waaaste of money ...
    This

Comment

Hey guys.. real quick.. I placed the order a couple days ago.. then today i noticed on one of the caps i bought its a radiall cap.. the other two were FC SMD's this one is FC Radial... Did I order the wrong one....?

Comment

Those should have all been radial, thru hole (as they go through the board). The SMD's mount on the surface.

Comment

Yes all through hole...and radial.

Comment

God damn it.. Thanks guys..

Comment

I'm looking up the ones I'll need to replace... When I find them.. If you guys could just double check.. That would be great...

Comment

I talked to a classmate in my Computer Science Class about soldering, he said something about demagnetizing the caps.. and I think I'm way over my head here.. In the videos I watch about soldering and desoldering I never heard or seen anything about what he was talking about..

Comment

Originally posted by marinesman215 View Post
                  he said something about demagnetizing the caps
                  He probably meant discharging caps. The big main filter capacitor could hold a charge and you want to discharge it first.

Most modern lcd/tvs have a bleeder resistor and that discharges the big main capacitor after the power has been removed and unplugged in about 1 or 2 minutes.

You can verify if the big cap has been discharged by measuring its DC voltage with a multimeter.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hey guys, like I mentioned before... I ordered the wrong one.. then just yesterday ordered the correct ones.. Anyways.. I desolder and soldered 4 of them I needed to replace... I must say its not all that hard (had I better experience and tools I wouldnt have been as sloppy im sure) Other then getting random drops of solder on the board..... it went pretty seemlessly. Now, it is a bit sloppy and if request is needed i can upload pics of it, but will some solder on the board in spots that serve no purpose mess things up.. its not globs of solder but kinda a smeared type of deal.... Thanks again guys for making this possible.

Comment

So what's the outcome? Or are you still waiting on the caps and just practiced on the old ones.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by marinesman215 View Post
                        its not globs of solder but kinda a smeared type of deal....
                        this kinda sounds like your solder is without a flux core..

Comment

Hey guys! Sorry the rest of the parts just came two days ago.. been busy and just finished putting everythign on today.. put it all back together, and what do you know... IT WORKS! You guys are the best... 40 bucks and two solder burns later i got a TV, and learned a hell of a lot along the way which was worth much more than 40$, you guys have been a great help! Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

Congrats on your first fix. Your already ahead of most of the Jarheads. Just kidding. Have fun with it and good luck with ROTC.

Comment

Originally posted by steve2 View Post
                              Congrats on your first fix. Your already ahead of most of the Jarheads. Just kidding. Have fun with it and good luck with ROTC.
                              This week has been amazing, on Monday I got accepted to The Citadel, and on Tuesday I got the TV to work! And thanks I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                              X