Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft becoming more aggressive in pushing Windows 10+end of Windows 8 patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft becoming more aggressive in pushing Windows 10+end of Windows 8 patches

http://www.myce.com/news/again-micro...dows-10-78345/
    http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-s...as-well-78365/

How aggressive can Microsoft get in pushing Windows 10?
    I believe that this is a way to reduce their support costs.

http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-w...omorrow-78343/

Even though Windows 8 might be considered to still have mainstream support at the time of posting, this could turn out to be a bad decision since Windows 8 was released in 2012.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Microsoft becoming more aggressive in pushing Windows 10+end of Windows 8 patches

it will reduce support costs by reducing users!

Comment

Re: Microsoft becoming more aggressive in pushing Windows 10+end of Windows 8 patches

if they try cutting w7 support before 2020, all hell would break loose...sadly though, these days I'm very close to the point of not trusting MS anymore....seems a lot of 'patches' these days intentionally break things...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Who wants DVD's of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS when it launches?
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          sadly though, these days I'm very close to the point of not trusting MS anymore....
          Would you end up converting the server over to Linux?
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
            ewww...
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
            Originally posted by shango066
            All style and no substance.
            Originally posted by smashstuff30
            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
              Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              ewww...
              Agreed. I got Debian on the server and arch on my laptops (used to run it on workstations but gnome wasn't as advantageous on twin screens). I'm set.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Now Microsoft has pushed the free Windows 10 upgrade too far:
                http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-c...consent-78844/
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

FAIL. Windows 10 is just an epic FLOP.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Would you end up converting the server over to Linux?
                    The BCN server has been linux since 2009.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

After Windows 7 support ends, any computers with Windows 7 ONLY will have their hard drives formatted and a copy of Linux installed.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                        ewww...
                        Who wants opensuse 42.1 DVDs?

if they try cutting w7 support before 2020, all hell would break loose...sadly though, these days I'm very close to the point of not trusting MS anymore....seems a lot of 'patches' these days intentionally break things...
                        It's already EOL mainstream right? Why wouldn't they kill it? They just killed H8, they push adverts to it and collect data from it, yet they killed it. H8 was a cash cow. They can't push adverts to Se7en but they can collect data, so why not take it out? It's more expensive maintain afterall. I have a gut (wrenching) feeling that 7 is going to be killed off by Q4. Maybe Q2 2017 at the latest.
                        Last edited by goontron; 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM.
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

dup post
                          (stupid 4g, grumble grumble)
                          Last edited by goontron; 03-14-2016, 07:17 PM.
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

post to let you delete your dup. post

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                              I have a gut (wrenching) feeling that 7 is going to be killed off by Q4. Maybe Q1 2017.
                              because of contractual obligations to OEM's, corporations and even consumer markets, they can not EoL it early. However, they can refuse to extend support for it like they did several times for Win2k and XP.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

because of contractual obligations to OEM's, corporations and even consumer markets, they can not EoL it early. However, they can refuse to extend support for it like they did several times for Win2k and XP.
                                Ive not read the EULA but usually there is some "I've got a different way that's not compatible with the current way, so fuck off" clause somewhere in the agreement. Knowing most large commerce managers, they sign it without reading. OEMs may be a different story though... I could be talking out my ars, but im not sure what to think M$ would do...
                                Last edited by goontron; 03-14-2016, 07:52 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                  Ive not read the EULA but usually there is some "I've got a different way that's not compatible with the current way, so fuck off" clause somewhere in the agreement. Knowing most large commerce managers, they sign it without reading. OEMs may be a different story though... I could be talking out my ars, but im not sure what to think M$ would do...
                                  Well, they can't formally EoL an OS early...however, nothing really stops them from breaking things with "critical updates" and creating compatibility issues with optional updates. They can shove their newest OS up everyone's all they want, but they cant end the life on one early. Third party software makers are also th fuel to the fire, they continue to write software for MS OS's whether its still supported by MS or not..... MS is more inclined to strong-arm hardware manufacturers by ending driver support for existing hardware and bullying them into not creating drivers for previous OS's with new hardware.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

What a mess. I still use XP (for old games and some apps I just can't do without), but everything else is Debian Stable.

Comment

Re japlytic's third link in the OP:
                                      Originally posted by Clueless people at Microsoft
                                      “Windows 8.1 does not change any hardware requirements compared with Windows 8 or Windows 7"
                                      Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows81-faq
                                      Sure: tell that to my Dell Precision 470 with 16GB RAM that can't upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 due to lack of the PrefetchW instruction!
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Now Microsoft is in denial about automatic upgrades to Windows 10 without permission:
                                        http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-n...mission-78876/

Comment

Working...
                                        X