Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PS60E530 Plasma TV - Troubleshooting

Hello,

I opened my first plasma tv. I already read the basic plasma troubleshooting guide and the simple plasma repair guide by samsung.

The TV does not start. No picture and no sound. The heartbeat led is blinking very slow.

What i did so far:
    - I checked Vs and Va. Both are perfekt at startup and then decreasing. After that the TV just consumes about 10W
    - Unplugging power from Y-sustain doesn´t change anything
    - Unplugging the data cable from the Y-sustain changes something. The heartbeat led blinks faster and the TV consumes about 60W
    - Ve isn´t coming up. It is about 10V
    - I unplugged the Y-buffers like the way it was written here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...42&postcount=4
    - I checked the capacitors, diodes and transistors on the Y- and Z-sustain. I can´t find weird components

Does anybody know what makes sense to check next? I want to try a repair on component level.

Thanks

Re: Samsung PS60E530 Plasma TV - Troubleshooting

Ooops, I forgot to add some pictures.

Here they are.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ah yes. Cool these 2 caps with freeze spray. Trry powering up again. You'll probably have a picture.

They are 50v 10uf poly caps.

They co trol voltage to the U5014 Infinion controller IC for the VSCAN. It is a time based circuit and if the IC does not come up in voltage within a time derivative it goes into shutdown mode
      Attached Files
      Last edited by freakaftr8; 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM.
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I have dealt with this a few times now

Comment

That would be very cool!

I checked the 2 capacitors like you said. First I freezed them with spray, but the problem stayed.
          Now I desoldered them and measured the first with 9.08uF & 750kOhm and the second 9.6uF & 22 MOhm (near out of range).
          They don´t seem very bad..

Have you measured your defective caps before?

I will change them now, but I need to find right replacement first

Comment

I replaced the capacitors now with 2 10uF WIMA MKS4, which I had laying around.
            Now the panel lights up for about half a second and then goes black again.

Comment

Update: I desoldered some other 10uF capacitors from the board and measured the leakage current.
              Two of them had a 20-100 times higher current. But I don´t know where the two caps were soldered before. I think this are the two capacitors you mentioned before.

Comment

Yes I've had this problem before you might just wanna change the cluster of 10uf caps in the area.

I dont understand what you mean you don't know the caps went before.
                Last edited by freakaftr8; 03-10-2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I desoldered 6 capacitors from the board and measured them all. I found 2 with current leakage, but I don´t know their previous position on the board.
                  I ordered some capacitors now and to be sure I ordered a new IC also.

I measured with an Oscilloscope and got strange readings. So maybe the IC is damaged too.
                  Last edited by Hauke; 03-12-2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I replaced some capacitors on the y-sustain. The three around the IC and some others.

Before I changed the capacitors the oscillation on Vcc Pin of the IC had not started. Now it starts after the first try. But then the Vs-on signal on the PSU starts to oscillate too.

It seems that there is another fault.
                    Do you know what can cause a short flashing on the screen?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Don't be concerned about position on the board as these have no polarity. There is a good chance the IC has been damaged. I have heard of this before although I have not had to replace an IC yet. I would wait so you replace the capacitors with high ESR. Although if the IC is cheap enough in readily available just replace it for good measure. You could test now if you freeze the IC just a little bit.

The waveform looks good, however the IC is still causing shutdown. It may not be good.

Comment

With the previous position I meant the position on the board. I don´t know if the defective ones were C5046 or C5160 or..
                        I replaced the capacitors with some electrolytic ones.

I measured some more. I measured Vs and Vcc at IC.
                        The difference between the both pictures is, that I made the first measurement with only 1 FFC per buffer connected to the panel.
                        The second was made with all FFCs connected.

Are you able to explain why the IC stops working at different times?
                        That would be very nice
                        I don´t get it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The IC stops working because either it itself is defective by means of too many ramp ups with an over current condition from a faulty capacitor in the input VCC, or the output causing a bottleneck.

While replacing those capacitors with electrolytics, You did take measure on the polarity? There will be a ground source and a positive source if you do it that way.

Best way is with the capacitors removed, use your DVM and measure each side for ground to chassis, that would be your negative leg. It's kind of tricky doing it this way when using using lytics,

Comment

Just a note, I see you've got the heatsink removed from the address drivers at the bottom of the panel.
                            Make sure never to run the panel with these removed, as the ICs will rapidly overheat and your panel will die (unrepairable, vertical line COF fault)
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

That type of capacitors are NOT to be replaced with electrolytics. That could be the only reason why it still doesn't work. You need to replace with same type as the original.
                              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

@freakaftr8: When I replaced the capacitors with electrolytics I checked the polarity.

@tom66: Thank you for this information! Are 10-20 seconds without heatsink ok?

@Th3_uN1Qu3: I found a video on youtube where someone swapped the capacitors with electrolytic ones. He solved the problem with this, so I tried it too.

I replaced the IC with a new one, but problem stayed. Now I will try to swap all capacitors with ceramic ones.

Comment

Ok, I replaced all capacitors again. The problem stays the same.

Now I measured Ve over timer with an oscilloscope.

I get a voltage of about 140 V. On the sticker on the panel is written 98 V.
                                  What causes this big difference? Bad capacitors on Z-Sustain?

Can this cause a shutdown after a short flash on the screen?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I would say zsus is not loading down the voltage. Could you point out where you are testing this voltage at? Although shouldn't be a problem, maybe you should someplace caps with same poly type. I see a steady ramp up to read around 98 volts in then a sudden increase which would tell me that something is giving up and OL or overload before shutting down.

What happens if you pull the flat white ribbon cable that goes from logic to ZSUS And then tried to power up?

Comment

10-20 seconds is probably ok but no more. I've seen panels killed after a few minutes.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

@freakaftr8: I measured Ve at pin 12 on the connector on the y-sus.
                                        When I disconnect the white ribbon cable on the z-sus Ve does not come up. Even the hearbeat led is not blinking anymore.

I checked Ve on the Z-sus, there I just get about 10 V. I attached two pictures, where I marked my testing points.

@tom66: Ok, I don´t think I left the TV on this long. But I think I would have done it, if it already worked
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Hauke; 03-16-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X