Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's got tricks for detecting a cracked LCD in a dead set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's got tricks for detecting a cracked LCD in a dead set.

I enjoyed the 60PV250 plasma that I fixed last week because I got to identify the bad ICs with my scope. Ordinarily, my scope just collects dust. I sold it to an old friend yesterday for $300. Considering all the diodes and IGBTs, ICs and transistors I fried before stumbling across your thread, that was maybe $25. The TV was free because I found it outside the fence at a local e-waste drop off site. A $5 universal remote. That leaves me a $270 profit. If we count my time, then I lost money. But, if we put a value on what I learned from my mistakes, then I think I'm back at the $270 profit.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
      you can't give up on us man!!! You're in to deep!!!! Lol
      qft, lol.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
        In OZ plasma been out for some years and now getting too old. I have a Panny and an LG waiting for fix but parts either hard to get or ridiculous pricing e.g $250 for a main board !! They'll be scrapped shortly if I can't get them going. Those that have them do like them and panels do seem to last OK despite half life warnings. Also here our electricity prices very high and people these days conscious of power usage. As for screens yes turn on or don't pay very much - I picked up a binned set recently hoping screen OK as I had same set new but with broken screen, got home turned it on and everything worked perfectly !! Ya can't win ! Or should that be lose ?
        What platform are r u selling it on. Gumtree and Facebook marketplace are your best friends.

I recently managed to sell two panny's P50GT30A and P50ST30A for $350 each to different buyers. Dont forget youre allowed to use marketing phrases like 'smart tv' even though the smart features are pretty much useless given that it's an earlier smart tv model.

Just as well, I sold a 2009 sammy 52A650A LCD for another $350. Again, youre allowed to use phrases like 'energy efficient' and 'excellent sound than new TVs'. This TV also had the edge when it comes to image quality, even surpassing the above panny's, and thats why it fetched the same price as a 2011 model.

As a general rule, I wouldnt try to repair any TV's smaller than 42 inches and older than 2009 (due to inability to display HD channels).

In regards to identifying cracked screens, it depends on the brand, model and year. Usually the older ones are obvious because they leave behind an appearance that looks like a layer of clear adhesive film covering over the crack. On the other hand, there was a Sony TV in the dumpster where I wasnt even able to detect the crack even with a 1000lm led lenser flash light shone at different angles.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          I tend to mess with plasma, because I find diagnosing and repairing those fun.

Recent example, the Samsung PS43E450 I had it which was shutting down. It was free from a friend for helping him out with another TV.

I was able to trace the fault down to a random ceramic cap.

I liked that, because it was a cryptic, challenging and yet inexpensive repair - I think the best type!!

And I sold that TV for £130, take away about 20 miles to deliver it outside of the city, not bad, but not a good hourly rate.
          I agree , there are alot of defective tv's here that are either old lcd or the new leds.
          Somehow i got discouraged buying a defective LED/LCD because 1 time the previous owner fucked up the lcd tabs. You never know what they did with the TV and luckily people dont try anything stupid with plasma tv's. Probably all the boards that scare them haha.

I'll stick with plasma , first of all much more to learn and second , a much better picture quality!
          With help from Tom i learned alot and repaired many Panasonic plasma's. Still waiting for the latest VT/ZT60 to come by. Although i read the Samsung F8500 is a good tv also.

No led coming into this house unless it is OLED.
          Last edited by Moreno83; 03-11-2018, 01:40 PM.
          I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by syaoran123 View Post
            What platform are r u selling it on. Gumtree and Facebook marketplace are your best friends.

I recently managed to sell two panny's P50GT30A and P50ST30A for $350 each to different buyers. Dont forget youre allowed to use marketing phrases like 'smart tv' even though the smart features are pretty much useless given that it's an earlier smart tv model.

The 30 series give a amazing picture quality , i absolutely love the 50GT30 design and picture quality.
            I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
              1 time the previous owner fucked up the lcd tabs.
              The craziest thing I ever found was a 32" where the previous owner had replaced the panel from some other TV and had taped the Tabs to the new panel. I just couldn't believe someone could think that would work.

Comment

You probably bought it from the same people that say "50 inch LED with broken screen , only needs a new screen!! $350 " Uhm yes the screen is the tv lol.

I once bought a philips 37" 8404 series. All of them had panel problems.
                I opened it up and he taped the lcd tabs to the print , removing the tape actually tore off the tabs from the lcd....bye bye tv!

So as Tom said , buy them really cheap or leave it alone. You cant do much wrong with plasma although i once bought a 50GT30 and the previous owner placed 30F131 and and diodes on the board where there were no diodes or fets.

Ow that spot looks so empty , lets place a diode there and see what happens.......

Comment

i once bought a 50GT30 and the previous owner placed 30F131 and and diodes on the board where there were no diodes or fets.

Ow that spot looks so empty , lets place a diode there and see what happens.......
                  Lol, that's why it doesn't work anymore. Someone snuck in last night and stole components from the board.

Comment

The 30 series give a amazing picture quality , i absolutely love the 50GT30 design and picture quality.
                    The GT30 is good, BUT it cant beat some of Samsung's 2008/2009 line of LCD models. I am personally using LA46F81BDX, and theres others in the same family like the LA##M81BDX and the LA##A650A. All these screens have a reflective glass-like surface like a plasma TV.

Comment

I take them out in the sunlight to be able to see a broken screen. For me, a flashlight doesn't put out enough light. In the sun, all cracks show up quite well.

Comment

Working...
                      X