Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 buzzing and crackling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 buzzing and crackling

Adjusting YSUS_B and XSUS_B didn't have any noticeable effect on the noise and just made the picture worse. Reading around it seems some of these Kuros are just noisier than others, and were even when relatively new. I still intrigued why swapping the x-main quietened it when the settings didn't make any change.

In the end as a last resort I gave the large transformer a varnish bath for the best part of a day as suggested by Relayer and amazingly it has quietened down a lot so I think I will leave it at that.

Thanks all for the contributions.

Comment

Scratch that. It started buzzing loudly again on and off. By chance I discovered that pressure on the top of the bezel quietened the noise. On further investigation it looks like I have the same issue as this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59936

The EMI foam wedged between the top edge of the plasma panel and that part of the metal frame is not conducting well to the frame. This also explains the crackling sound which must have been arcing between the panel and the metal frame. The strip seems fine but the adhesive is insulating it from the frame. I will try to use some conductive tape to reattach it.

Comment

Interesting fault...
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Have you had any success with the repair ?

Comment

Just to report back. I bought some new EMI foam strip. The old one had degraded inside. You could see there was not much foam left inside the sheath. New strip shipped from China so only just got it. Just installed it and now the TV is dead quiet and no crackling. It's now much quieter even than the other one. I'm very happy!

Comment

Awesome! Does it resolve the buzzing on all picture modes? My old Kuro's buzzing on anything but Energy Save Mode always annoyed me.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yes! I had it on energy save mode 2 and movie mode and I could honestly barely tell it was on unless I listened round the back. To test I just tried it with energy save off and on dynamic and it buzzes a little, but from viewing distance with sound playing I don't think you'd notice it at all.

Comment

Very interesting.
                  Now I just need to find a 5090 that doesn't suffer from the dreaded dirty screen effect that mine did.
                  I'm sure some of them are much better, but mine looked awful on full white, due to some kind of panel uniformity problem.

Comment

The two I've got at the moment I can't fault picture wise. Just picked up another 8 blinker so will see what that's like.

What are you watching at the moment? Panasonic?

Comment

Panasonic TX-P42ST50B. It's got good picture quality but after the number of hours on it (almost 8,000), I've noticed the black level has now risen.

I know all PDPs require adjusted drive waveforms as they age but the Kuros always did well, I had one with 22,000 hours on it that could still do deep black.

My landlord doesn't want me wall mounting a TV, so if I do get another set it will have to have a stand. I'm keeping an eye out for when I move or buy a house.

Comment

Just out of interest, if you put a full white pattern on your display, either through RS232 or via external source:

...any buzzing from normal distance?

...does it look uniform? On my old Kuro you could see some unevenness in the peak white level, even when you turned down ABL and brightness.

Comment

Buzzing is barely noticeable on full white pattern. It looks pretty even to me.

Comment

Good news
                            Well done on the repair

You have a link to the tape you got

thanks

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171942802104

I had to use about 3 and a half of those 30cm strips to replace the length along the top edge.

Comment

Mines the same standard tbh especially when energy mode is off very loud just turn up volume
                                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                                  Mines the same standard tbh especially when energy mode is off very loud just turn up volume
                                  I'd be interested to hear if this fix works on yours Reece cause to be honest the buzzing was one of the reasons I didn't like my Kuro (though overall, I think it was a win). Am looking at getting a Kuro 9G monitor for my new place, because landlord will let me wall mount one.

Comment

I got hold of another 5090 recently. In great condition and impressively clean inside. It buzzes noticeably louder than others I've worked on (though nowhere near as bad as the one that started the thread). I pulled apart the frame and checked the foam strip and it was almost like new and with good conductivity. So seems like this fix isn't going to help all of them but definitely worth checking the foam if the buzz is bad.

Comment

This thread has helped me massively; for which I thank you. My 5090 started buzzing like mad. Once I took the front plastic trim off of the screen I could see arcing "fireworks" going on between screen and the metal foam strip. In each corner of the TV there are the screws that hold the whole screen in place. I tightened the screws as they had become looser than ideal. Voila!

Quiet. Perfectly quiet. Over the moon as this is still the best panel I have ever seen.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Very glad to hear, thanks for letting us know another Kuro lives on!

Comment

I have a PDP C509A here in Australia that is experiencing crackling/static which seems to be located at the top of the unit and loud buzz. there is no fault in the picture that i can tell. the buzz isn't really noticeable when watching content but the static is. i pulled the back off the unit but cannot find any emi strips. have not seen static but but is clear to hear. do i have to pull it apart further to reveal them? the previous owner told me he messed with the service menu but i am unsure of what he did or if he changed anything. can anyone help?

Comment

Working...
                                          X