e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

i have one of the 70 inch models and removed the right side drivers, replaced the tcon board and had the same blockiness/pixelation that you are having...dark scenes look terrible and maybe some colors or shadows look off. i replaced my tcon board again with a new one and problem solved. before i replaced that tcon i did clean the ribbon cables going from main board to tcon (LVDS cables) still had the same issue. then replaced the tcon board and problem went away. picture looks perfect. but yes as someone else said clean the LVDS ribbon cables on both ends (mainboard and tcon side). hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by sman200788 View Post
      So, we having been using this MONSTER in place of our old 55 and so far we love it! Except for one thing....

The color and picture on this TV is fantastic, but the blacks and very dark colors are...odd. The blacks (when they cover large portions of the screen) almost look pixelated? It almost looks like its something not in HD when there are a lot of dark scenes.

This is the best example I could find online. Does this make sense to anyone?
      i have one of the 70 inch models and removed the right side drivers, replaced the tcon board and had the same blockiness/pixelation that you are having...dark scenes look terrible and maybe some colors or shadows look off. i replaced my tcon board again with a new one and problem solved. before i replaced that tcon i did clean the ribbon cables going from main board to tcon (LVDS cables) still had the same issue. then replaced the tcon board and problem went away. picture looks perfect. but yes as someone else said clean the LVDS ribbon cables on both ends (mainboard and tcon side). hope this helps you.

Comment

Hi all new to this forum. Thank you everyone that has posted about this tv. A friend of mine is selling his 70" that I'm thinking about buying. The audio works. The screen works, however has a dark circle in the bottom right corner and in the middle of the screen. Is this the same symptom as not having a display at all? Will the process outlined in this forum fix the issue? I'm interested in buying it (for very cheap) and fixing if I know that there has been success in fixing these TVs. Just not sure if this is the same issue.

Thanks!
        Attached Files

Comment

No your problem is bad LED backlighting there's nothing wrong with the screen
          Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I think I was reading somewhere that replacing the LED strips is a much bigger task and probably not worth it. What's the experts opinions on this forum? I haven't had time yet to read through the 40 pages yet to see if this has been addressed already.

Comment

I don't think you're gonna seen it about actual LCD panel removal in this thread. But if you search other threads on this forum you will see what it's entailed with removing the LCD panel. It's a timely task but not that difficult. Best to have 2 or 3 hands at it

Comment

I wish I could have tried this Technic out. I just gave up hope a couple months ago and parted this same model TV out. Doh! I am new to BadCaps but I think I found a new home thanks for all the good info. My first post of many more to follow.

Comment

Were you ever able to fix this?

Originally posted by Lyle Beach View Post
                  So... I removed the left side drivers from the TV and I have "partial" success.

Picture is great on both sides mostly, but there is a big brownish "splotch" towards the right center of the screen. I made darn sure that all the driver ribbons were completely removed from the screen, and tried to make sure that no "remains" of the ribbon was left on the screen. What do you think is causing this defect?

I cleaned all the ribbons with 91% alcohol, and reconnected. When I turned the set back on, I was getting all kinds of weird vertical colored lines on the right hand side of the screen. I guess I didnt get the ribbons seated again properly, because when I adjusted them... I finally got back to where I started with the big "blob" on the screen.

I have attempted to remove, clean and re-install the LVDS cables too. And tried to take the best care possible to make sure they are re-seated properly.

Comment

Hello Everybody!

So, I have one of the fabled e701i-a3s... Almost 2 years ago my wife called (I was on travel) and said it just all of a sudden stopped working. I told her I would check it out when I got home. When I got home, I went down to our rec room and the lights were out, but the TV was on. You could see the screen was on and you could hear noise from the speakers, but it had no picture at all. So, after reading so many threads and videos about this over the last 2 years I'm planning on tearing into this tonight. I know that I won't have a working TV tonight, but at least I'll know what part I need to order. I'm planning on tearing it down and at least determining which version of the T-Con board I need to order. I plan to buy a direct replacement and then follow the steps provided by the OP to see if I can get the TV working again. In the interest of saving time, I plan to buy two boards at once, just in case. haha.. I hope to become a part of the success stories in this post. If anybody has any specific pointers/tips I'm always open to suggestions.

TIA!

eGo

Comment

So, just an update. I got it all apart, hardest part was removing the back cover. Haha. Located the model # on the T-Con board, it is a cpwbxruntk5261tp I have preferred two “New” replacements. I figure it doesn’t hurt to have a backup in case I mess something up. No way I’m going to replace the bad parts. My soldering skills aren’t that good. I’ll update with my results when the new part arrives. I’m gojng to try and do a visual inspection of the driver boards and see if I can determine the bad side without taking a shot at the t-con board.

Wish Me Luck!

eGo

Comment

So, here's what I have so far.. I replaced the T-Con board and disconnected the right side driver tabs and this is the result (it's a picture!) I'll post another picture in just a second.. I'm afraid to leave it on too long and blow the board if this isn't right.. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! BTW, the picture is sideways.. ;\ So the bottom would be the left side of the screen if you're looking at it from the front.. I'm guessing with this result I just need to make the leap and remove the right side driver tabs?

TIA!

eGo
                        Attached Files

Comment

Update! Looks like the Right side is def. the culprit... Please see below, confirmation would be greatly appreciated, but I'm going to take the leap one way or the other in the next hour or so.. I'm running on borrowed time, my in-laws are returning home tonight and the TV is on their bed.. Don't think they'll want to sleep with it! hahah
                          Attached Files

Comment

Just wanted to give a shout out and thanks to all who posted Intel on this tv and fixing it. I bought one e701-ia3 for 30.00 bucks and then a new tcon....my panel was bad on the right side.....did the surgery now sitting watching some Netflix and a cold one in my hand....thanks all, first time poster but been a lurker for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by egocentronix View Post
                              Update! Looks like the Right side is def. the culprit... Please see below, confirmation would be greatly appreciated, but I'm going to take the leap one way or the other in the next hour or so.. I'm running on borrowed time, my in-laws are returning home tonight and the TV is on their bed.. Don't think they'll want to sleep with it! hahah

Yes. Strip off the right side.

Comment

So I picked up one of these bad boys again yesterday. Trying to trouble shoot the tv and was using this video, https://youtu.be/cyCKoMi_5IA like I did before. It was spot on with the last tv I successfully fixed. But this time it's showing my panel to be good on both sides. Anyone else try this method of testing that tcon board? Advice please.....

Comment

well, I would think it depends on what kind of failure occurs. Further, what did you actually test and what was the result. Note: it doesn't really show you how to test the FET which is also a failure point... it just indicated that the FET was bad.

Anyways.... what did you fix in the "other set"? I think there are 44 pages to this thread for a reason... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                    well, I would think it depends on what kind of failure occurs. Further, what did you actually test and what was the result. Note: it doesn't really show you how to test the FET which is also a failure point... it just indicated that the FET was bad.

Anyways.... what did you fix in the "other set"? I think there are 44 pages to this thread for a reason... :-)
                                    Yes 44 pages of great info lol. So my last set was super easy followed the surgery step by step except my panel was bad of the right side ( looking at it from behind) I was able to use the video in the link to test the tcon that way and sure enough it was bad on that side. So I did all the steps and it fired right up with a beautiful picture.

The set I have now I have measure the power supply going to the main, main going to the tcon, and tcon lvds input voltage and then tcon output to pane which has no voltage. Checked the fail drain coxa and it is bad. Just didn't want to blow a new tcon board without knowing what side I needed to disconnect first.

Comment

2nd set I've done so 2 for 2 success...
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mkorte82 View Post
                                        So, we having been using this MONSTER in place of our old 55 and so far we love it! Except for one thing....

The color and picture on this TV is fantastic, but the blacks and very dark colors are...odd. The blacks (when they cover large portions of the screen) almost look pixelated? It almost looks like its something not in HD when there are a lot of dark scenes.

This is the best example I could find online. Does this make sense to anyone?
                                        For anyone wondering the effect in the picture is just MPEG compression artefacts. It is not a fault, just a limitation of the quantisation depth of MPEG.

If you're watching downloaded files, you want to get higher bitrate files to avoid this.
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It doesn't help that the screen sizes have become so large.

Comment

Working...
                                          X