Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 14 blinks TC-P50ST30

Originally posted by macnbaish View Post
    My crappy meter doesn't even have a continuity buzzer, but I ran down all the buffer ribbons with it set to 2000k and it never budged off of of scale high so that looks good to me. I see Shop Jimmy is out of the 5351AM replacement boards so I guess modus link is where to go next. I appreciate all the help, sorry for my brain farts there. Oh, and I'm now on the lookout for a nicer multimeter.
    hang on and I'll grab a board and see what resistance maybe ther, I hate cheap meters, just no good for exact work. Wrong decision here and we cook another Sc. yes i think repair/return, so many of these failed under wty from what I read even pansonic could not maintain supply

Comment

we're looking at over 5 meg regardless of the way the probes are on my fluke. So this is well out of range for your meter, if it's OL or just shows 1, no reaction then I'd say they're good. I really don't know how your handles out of range. My meter goes to 30meg so it's never an issue for me

In diode i get nothing one way and when reversed 0.7

Comment

Yep, mine shows a 1 when it goes out of range, so I feel confident the buffer boards are ok. Picking out a new meter now for next time. I never realized how crappy mine was until this.

A couple more questions for you if you don't mind. Like some other posters, my TV has no fans, although the back panel has vent holes that appear to be intended for fans to be mounted in there. I guess maybe they were cutting corners? Would it help extend the life of the unit to try to add some active cooling?

Also, I was curious about newer firmware but the Panasonic support site doesn't even list my model, TC-P50S30. I see there is the very similar TC-P50ST30 that is on there and has updated firmware but I have no idea if they would be the same.
        Last edited by macnbaish; 10-17-2014, 09:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Yep, mine shows a 1 when it goes out of range, so I feel confident the buffer boards are ok. Picking out a new meter now for next time. I never realized how crappy mine was until this.

A couple more questions for you if you don't mind. Like some other posters, my TV has no fans, although the back panel has vent holes that appear to be intended for fans to be mounted in there. I guess maybe they were cutting corners? Would it help extend the life of the unit to try to add some active cooling?

Also, I was curious about newer firmware but the Panasonic support site doesn't even list my model, TC-P50S30. I see there is the very similar TC-P50ST30 that is on there and has updated firmware but I have no idea if they would be the same.
          Cooling will always extend a semiconductors life(should), can't help with mods but there's a few smart cookies who have with various models. yes i'd say being S30, that's entry level FHD and they do build them cheaper.

I have no fans in my V20 and it's the high end non 3d fhd, I can say one transistor gets very hot and that's the one that's always shorted when mine goes and a bunch of other stuff.

Don't think this is firmware related but more poor design.

Either you're on a different site or your eyes are painted on(LOL)

Don't use the ST30 firmware.

I would only do this once the TV is running well and stable. If for some reason the SC failed whilst doing the upgrade the TV will be bricked being interrupted whilst it's writing to the EEPROM

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...merica/na.html

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_na2.html
          Last edited by tw2005; 10-17-2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Personally I think this is a conspiracy by Panasonic to make me look foolish lol. I went to the main site, clicked support, typed in "TC-P50S30". No results. Typed in "TC-P50ST30", came right up. It's funny, I even went to the "find your model" tool, and it suggested TC-P50S30 so I thought I finally had it, but as soon as I selected it it took me back to the results page - with no results still. Maybe it's because I'm getting the U.S. version of the site? Makes me wonder what the heck is going on. I bought it from Best Buy in the U.S.

Anyway if I get it back working I'll take a look at the firmware. I'll consider slapping on some fans as well. Board is now removed and I'm hoping to ship it out today for repair.

Comment

Forgot to mention - when I took the board off one of the mounting screws was very loose, barely touching the board at all I think. I'm guessing this may have been the cause of the failure. I'll be sure to check and tighten all screws when I put everything back together.

Comment

Forgot to mention - when I took the board off one of the mounting screws was very loose, barely touching the board at all I think. I'm guessing this may have been the cause of the failure. I'll be sure to check and tighten all screws when I put everything back together.
                got a picture of the screws used? I'm not 100% sure if this model has the issue but there are screw kits available, maybe washers are missing or incorrect lentgh? I'm not sure but I'd check it out , might as well while you're in there.

Comment

Picture of the screws are attached. The ones with the washers are only used where the su/sd boards are stacked on top of the sc board. All other sc board screws are the smaller ones with no separate washer, just a wide head.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got the repaired board and installed it and the TV powered right up. Working great! I made sure to tighten every screw on the back completely, and scraped away any buildup from the mount points. Thanks for all of your help!

Comment

The screws are a known issue. In your picture above you can very clearly SEE where the board earthing has arced and made a black spot.

This black spot should be well polished off with some emery before refitting the repaired board or much the same will happen again.
                      TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                      http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                      PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I hope there isn't a rule here about resurrecting old threads.

Anyway, I have read the entirety of this thread and I have a question.

I purchased a 14-blink TC-P46S30 for cheap.

I have a chance to buy a cracked screen TC-P50ST30 for cheap.

Based on the info in this thread I am fairly certain the error code on the 46 is due to a faulty SC board.

QUESTION: Can I use the SC board from the 50 in the 46???

Thanks for all the info, really interesting stuff

Comment

I would look at Shop Jimmy.com and see what compatability the SC board has. Type in the model number of your set and then search the results fo an sc board. I was able to get my repaired by ModusLink for under $50

Comment

Originally posted by darkTime View Post
                            I hope there isn't a rule here about resurrecting old threads.

Anyway, I have read the entirety of this thread and I have a question.

I purchased a 14-blink TC-P46S30 for cheap.

I have a chance to buy a cracked screen TC-P50ST30 for cheap.

Based on the info in this thread I am fairly certain the error code on the 46 is due to a faulty SC board.

QUESTION: Can I use the SC board from the 50 in the 46???

Thanks for all the info, really interesting stuff
                            good chance it will, at a glance it's looking very close but you are assuming just because it has a cracked screen that the SC is still good unless of course it was cracked powered off and never powered on again. Quite often the buffers will short and blow with a cracked screen so also a possibility the Sc could also be bad.

just did a 50S30 and all that needed was 4 x 30f131 IGBTs replaced and it's been fine for a couple of weeks now but it can more involved.

how cheap is the ST30?

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                              good chance it will, at a glance it's looking very close but you are assuming just because it has a cracked screen that the SC is still good unless of course it was cracked powered off and never powered on again. Quite often the buffers will short and blow with a cracked screen so also a possibility the Sc could also be bad.

just did a 50S30 and all that needed was 4 x 30f131 IGBTs replaced and it's been fine for a couple of weeks now but it can more involved.

how cheap is the ST30?
                              very cheap, like $40.

Comment

This is a way old thread but I am having the same issue. So far I have replaced the sd board, had the su board tested and was told it's good and had the sc board repaired but I still get the 14 blinks.I don't want to sink too much more in this thing but I hate to get rid of it. What is next step?

Comment

Also trying to revive old thread. I have a 2011 TC-P55ST30 that has the solid power led light that turns to blinking 14 when the power is pushed again. I have the service technical manual and have run through checking for shorts on Vsus, P15 and Vda with none found. When I removed the cable on SC2 the led blinks 7 times when I disconnected and SC2 and SC20 it blinked 8 times. The resistance across SC2 is multiple megs and also at TPSC1 and VF-5V. There are no shorts between the floating ground pads (screws removed) and SD42 and SU41 The boards were isolated from SC board and the ribbon cable connecting SC to SU was disconnected. The floating ground screws were tight when removed. I ran thru the decision tree for solid led failure on slide 61 of technical training manual, which led me to a bad A board because it was blinking 8 times instead of 6. Replaced A board with no change.

So I believe it to be the SC board since that is the number 1 suspect but I do not show any shorts on the plugs. What is a more definitive test of the SC board?

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                    Training Guide
                                    God bless you for posting that guide. I had it before I lost a hard drive on another PC and have been searching hi and low trying to locate it again. Now I can get down to business with my TC-P42ST30 that is in parts on my dining room table. That guide is the missing link I needed to get this 2011 plasma working again.

Thank you so, so very much!

Monty aka N9ZN (my amateur Xtra class license)

Comment

Most of the time it is the SC Bd that goes bad wit the S and ST models from my experience.

Comment

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a TC-P55ST30 that had the 14 blink error. I used a meter to diagnose it and ended up ordering a used A board on eBay. I installed the board and the tv now turns on, but I am getting a very wide black band down the screen. I've checked and double checked all of the ribbon cables and don't see any issues. Do you think jay the a board I received may be faulty? Thanks in advance for the help.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X