Toshiba LED TV, blank screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba LED TV, blank screen

I have the Toshiba 46L5200U, Manufacturer Date Feb 2012.

Disconnecting DIM didn't work for me (neither the 14 pin on the power board nor the 15 pin on the control board; yes, I read that is basically the same thing, but I wanted to be sure). Not even intermittently. Having read this entire thread (and several others), pulling a pin is clearly a fix for some of the TV's - just not mine.

Since my symptom is intermittent (but easy to replicate), I was able to adjust the Backlight setting (Menu --> Picture --> Picture Settings, Backlight) to keep the TV running.

Setting Backlight to 0 (zero) kept it going all morning. Setting Backlight to 40 killed it right away. I'm now about 1.5hrs into Backlight setting at 30, and it has stayed on. The default factory setting is 70 (both before and after the firmware update, which I have applied: http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...eeText=3308679 ).

To me, this is still a temporary fix.

My hypothesis:
    Remove the LCD panel and replace the Toshiba 2012SGS46 LED Light Strip Bar & it will be like new. (at which time, I would probably change my Backlight setting to 50, not 70, the default).

Any thoughts?
    Feedback welcome and wanted.
    Last edited by hdguy; 03-11-2017, 01:13 PM. Reason: additional details added

Comment

UPDATE: Backlight setting @ 30 started causing problems now. I was able to make it through a 2 hr movie on 20, but considering the goal for this TV is for gaming, I decided to order a replacement LED strip.

Comment

does anybody have a spare cable ribbon from the led driver to the backlight?

I was a little to rough on the one in the tv & now I've broken the connector

Comment

does anybody have a spare cable ribbon from the led driver to the backlight?

I was a little too rough on the one in the tv & now I've broken the connector

Comment

Try eBay?
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

SUCCESS!

I tore apart some broken earbuds for the super thin wires and fired up my solder iron, to rebuild the wire harness/connector that I broke when replacing the backlight.

With the new backlight installed, the TV is no longer flickering & dying.

Thanks everyone for your help with the repair, and the great information!
              Tim

Comment

I am so thankful for these posts. My solution was covered in post #32. When dealing with the wires, I found that it was easier to cut them in the middle, strip them, and then splice them together. Pulling them out seemed like more work that could possibly damage the connection.

After trying every variation possible with wire 14, 15 and 16, the solution was simply cutting wire 15 &16, then crossing them. I understand that this is a bypass fix, but it's all that I am wanting to do for now.

Comment

Working...
                X